With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

Hmmm interesting. I will be venturing into the landlord space in the coming months. I believe where I am 2 bed apartments are renting for upto €1000 per month.

Don’t really want to rent the place out, I would rather sell but I would loose out on selling as I wouldn’t get what I paid for it.

not the only one.

Yup sure do and just getting the paperwork together to get a new mortgage. :smile:

great stuff
im getting away with about 12% for the deposit
banks are throwing mortgages around

You really have a deep case of bitterness. It’s going to eat you up in the long run.

It’s often not the second home, but the first one which is rented out because they now need to live elsewhere… Most businesses write off 100% of interest expense, obviously not the capital repayment portion so thats unusual in this sector. In most instances they’re just normal folk struggling to pay the bills like everyone else and if rent goes up €100/month its likely that it’s the gov which is getting €51/month of that so you’ll be glad to know that you’re the real beneficiary of all this rent inflation.

To be honest, I don’t think it’s great that there are a lot of amateur landlords out there - far better if there were professional landlords properly regulated, inspected etc. and I’d say many of the accidental landlords would get out of it in a heartbeat if they could, but negative equity prevents that.

3 Likes

It’s not bitterness. You are suggesting anyone renting should be making a profit. That’s stupid. They’re paying off their mortgage and will be left with a sizeable asset. I’m not in any way jealous or bitter, but to suggest they deserve sympathy because they’re not making profit is amazing. What horseshit.

I was a bit shocked when I was in with the bank manager there a week ago about our options. We are looking for 3 bed house, nothing mad or anything like that. I thought we would have to at least sell one of the apartments we have but the bank did the number crunching and said what we can get a mortgage and hold onto the other 2 properties. :slight_smile:

Tazdeslumlord

KBC were accepting 60% of your rental income as part of your overall income whereas other banks were previously expecting you to be able to cover the two. I imagine some of the banks have now loosened their requirements if you have an existing property.

No, I’m not suggesting they should make a profit. I’m just saying that many aren’t, which is a little different to the broad picture portrayed of vulture landlords. I’m also suggesting that many of them didn’t wish to become landlords and are actually repaying the negative equity on an asset, so they aren’t building up an asset for themselves - they are just keeping themselves from bankruptcy.

Essentially, my point is that like everything, it’s big shades of grey rather than black and white but I can understand why you feel more comfortable trying to scramble to your usual right-on moral high ground.

1 Like

99% of landlords who bought property in the last 15 years are covering ish the mortgage. It’s a pension supplement to a lot more than it isn’t. Get over it

Damn right. Why the fuck would I be down 20k selling the place when I can get nearly double my mortgage payments on rent. When the mortgage goes below the currently value of the the apartment then I will look to sell.

1 Like

Roll Tide!

Wait what?

Is the rent madeness confined to Dublin and suburbs or is it happening all over the country?

As is always the case with property (or at least should be) it’s location driven. Some locations in the main centers of population will see an increase in demand, while other places won’t and most likely won’t see any increase in the short/medium term.

This is the case, especially with folks that bought apartments when single and are now married with kids. Was talking to one of the neighbours last night and they are moving out of the apartment and renting a house that they got through a friend of a friend and are going to rent out their apartment.

The neighbour when to see an estate agent and they said they will charge half a months rent as a finders fee for tenants. Thats money for a fuck all work.

Kaiser Noonan has steered us back to the Seas of Plenty.

There’s a 6 or 7 floor shell standing there. Fair enough if building began again, just seemed strange.

They are hungry bastards, Glas.

The boom just got boomier.

1 Like