With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

Or Marinos or Crumlins or Kimmages

But apparently what’s actually needed is more public money going to hotels and private landlords

The market works, or something

Ireland need to encourage people to emigrate. We are producing far too many highly skilled and qualified people. emigration is essential with our small economy.

It is actually happening in some regards. There are developments which builders/developers are doing the ground work on, planning, construction etc and upon completion sell the units to the council for the provision of social housing. It makes sense really, I’ve been involved in both ends where the council are the client and they are a fucking nightmare who barely know what they are at. Poor designs, poor inspections and just a lazy attitude. Where a developer or builder should know what they are at and get it all completed under the building regulations certification that they contractually are obliged to meet now.

Obviously the negative side is the old reliance on cowboy builders and they will build shit and hock it to the council for outrageous money, but building regs are far stricter now.

The recent introduction of NZEB compliance is another facet to add to improved building quality.

All much older estates that have gentrified to some extent. Much of Inchicore is similar now.

My heart sinks when I see estates built on the edge of the city. Mixed use high rise close to the city centre with public and private tenants/owners is the way forward, not building west until we reach Allenwood or Rathangan.

1 Like

It’s not the public sector building west to Allenwood and Rathangan, it’s the private sector

The US free market way

Where to put social housing so? Are we just going to keep extending Blanch and Clondalkin?

Local authorities already have compulsory purchase powers

Start using them and start putting more legislation on the books that treats housing as a right not a commodity

Start using the existing stock we have rather than having it lie idle

There are 30k empty homes in Dublin

People who claim property development is an example of the free market in action are completely deluded.

Property developers themselves glory in calling themselves “free market entrepreneurs”

The problem with free market ideology is it fundamentally misunderstands human nature

I must have missed the memo then.

Property is probably the most regulated and intervened with market in Ireland. Urban sprawl is a consequence of poor planning. Who makes the plans again?

Yes they were in lots of places

Yeah that was a typo, as helpfully pointed out earlier!

1 Like

Government, planning and regulations in Ireland were completely captured by the private building and property development lobby

It’s called state capture

You must have been asleep for your whole life

In the 1970s one in three homes were built by the public sector

That went to zero

Now we’re pissing 55% of the entire housing budget into the bank accounts of private landlords and hotels

And we wonder why we have a problem

Right-wing ideology has failed to address housing everywhere it’s been tried

The only overarching policy this government has had as regards hosuing is to get prices back up to what they were in the Celtic Tiger

While some may consider 3.5 % too low. The higher rates of interest here make a huge difference to repayments and therefore relative costs. 3.5 is absolutely fine.

To buy a mega house you should be on megabucks. To buy a normal 3/4 bed semi or a 2 bed apartment should not require the guts of your wages each month.

2 Likes

More bullshit bingo.

Private developers would much rather build 6-8 storey apartment blocks than sprawling houses.

We have had historic height restrictions, we have restrictions on older, not dense, buildings being demolished, we have zoning, we have property rights, planning restrictions, policies that demanded parking spaces for every apartment - etc. Urban sprawl is a consequence of that.

1 Like

I built myself last year for a mortgage of 260k along with maybe 50 of my own savings. That was for a 2100 sq foot house. A similar sized house would cost 320 to 340k for a builders finish now, a little over 2 years since we got the quote. Building contractors don’t want to take on one off builds anymore.

One told me his yield in the boom times was 20 to 30 percent, now it’s more like 10 percent. Some yokes for playing the poor mouth

1 Like

Unfortunately, the process required to undertake this is quite lengthy and complicated. Also the valuations on cpo’s are on the high side of market value. (Partly to do with our constitutional rights with regard to housing) These two factors actually make purchasing or renting out existing stock better options for a council. This perpetuates the cycle of the state pumping money into the hands of landlords (…me…).

Also a fun fact on the publically built homes.

The majority of these were not dense developments. In fact they were often below what private developments were. Ballymun wasn’t even a dense development, it was average for our suburbs. The real start of sprawl in Dublin was the development of places like Tallaght and everyone wanting a back garden, a government decision.

I’m not talking about the rights or wrongs of building public housing either, I’m dealing with sprawl. Instead of talking utter shit about this Sidney would be wiser to blame the car lobby and lack of investment in public transport.

Sid being destoryed here.

Urban Sprawl is the consequence of property developers getting planning permission to build estates in the commuter belt in zones that didn’t have the infrastructure to deal with those estates.

The regulations might exist but they certainly weren’t adhered to. Builds were thrown up, in places where they should never have been thrown up, leaving ghost estates, unfinished estates, people with no public transport options.

It was regulated alright, regulated by the need to make as much money as possible and fuck the consequences