With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

I thought of that before myself. Imagine if you had it in Abbeyfeale for example with space for 15-20 office cubicles to start with. You could have people from the surrounding area with rubbish broadband come in to the town to work for their big multinational. It would stop young professionals leaving small towns like that then and the area dying.

2 Likes

One of my pals is doing just that.

He’ll have a fine country pad, no mortgage and no commute rather than sinking €500-600k in some pad on that’s over an hour from work.

When you look at it what we were doing before it is utter madness. Come all the way into the IFSC or Spencer Dock from places like Naas. Wtf!!

1 Like

Someone was on Newstalk talking about that a few months ago - was it you?

Would need to be government supported but would make huge sense. Covid19 could give rise to the rebirth of rural Ireland.

1 Like

No. Although I’m not surprised someone has had the idea also, it’s just taking the fairly common shared office space idea and putting it outside the cities really.

They could be in old factories and warehouses, or in any of the bazillion unused shop fronts in these towns.
The one in Leitrim could be a treehouse, the possibilities are endless.
Imagine you could get a couple of hundred people working locally in these rural towns with decent jobs.
It would revitalise the towns. Cafes, restaurants, bars etc would all open up. The knock on effects would be massive.
It’s definitely worth a look. You’d need buy in, but the likes of google etc are all about that kind of shit nowadays and they’d actually be saving money, so I think the big companies would go for it.

Yes you paid 45% up to around 9k, 55% from 9-12k and 65% on anything over that. It was some dose.

1 Like

The restrictions coming in the office environment will make WFH even more attractive.

It will clear out a lot of the office sex pests too.

It seems like a no brainer when you see the muldoons on here with their 8-bedroom houses in Ballymuck that cost around a third of what we paid for ours in Dublin. You’d be improving your quality of life and making a considerable profit in doing so.

Yeah - but if you think the companies won’t cop on that they don’t have to pay as much as a result.

A common argument was that increased cost of living was driving wage increases. The corollary prob holds true too

There is one in Gweedore

You could employ staff too to run the house.

And islands in their kitchen. Roasters are stone nuts for an island in the kitchen.

1 Like

Makes loads of sense. Would contribute to reducing carbon footprint too. People should travel into Dublin by public transport of course, leaving the streets of Dublin free for cyclists.

Hopefully the Greens get into government and sort this out.

1 Like

I think it will be simply a way to keep good staff who may not want to rise right to the top.

If you want to be a director or whatever, you will still need to be there as frequently as possible.

It has huge advantages in the short term. More uptake on it will go a significant way to sorting out short term transit issues and environmental issues. There’s negatives to that though - less activities in towns and cities will impact more on employment than people think.

Long term though people are still going to move more towards towns and cities.

I think this might have not have nearly the positive impact that is suspected.

Regional offices exist largely to fulfil local functions and because people don’t trust WFH at the moment. WFH will damage that more than anything else I think. Why will a Big 4 firm carry a regional office and the associated overhead if they have loads of staff WFH? They’ll be more likely to try and centralise under one office and organise out that way.

You will still have people focused on regional business but they just won’t need 6 or 7 offices around the country. The tech companies I know who are already big into remote will have Sales staff working remotely and targeting regions, with HQs even more centralised.

Also, this has been a great experiment on the National Broadband Plan. There’s lots of other reasons to have it, but has there been large scale complaints from companies on staff not being able to work properly from home?

1 Like

Ya it’s the same as that, but with the focus on big companies moving staff staff rather than startups. Not that you’d be excluding startups or anything. They’d obviously be more than welcome. Just the focus would be slightly different

1 Like

A lot of townie fellas wouldn’t be able for the muldoon life

1 Like