With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

Yes but you’re a bitter old cynic

An auctioneer from the arsehole of Tipperary!

2 Likes

Only on here. In real life I’m a self righteous, condescending pain in the hole.

Good man Tom :rofl::rofl::rofl:. A serious bullshit merchant.

3 Likes

:snake: oil merchants the spoofers spoofers

2 Likes

other prominent local figures have also objected to the proposal, including Chris Comerford, the former managing director of Irish Sugar, Ciarán Cuffe, a Green Party MEP, and Chris Andrews, a Sinn Féin TD.
Ivana Bacik, a Labour Party senator, and a residents’ group representing Shrewsbury Road residents have also lodged objections.

Friend of mine was one of the main authors of this report

Haven’t had a chance to read the full 69 page document, but this is another professional body giving reports and advice, and the government take so long to react or implement the proposals that by the time they start trying to make changes, it’s too late.

1 Like

Report from builders body says mortgage should be easier to get seems to be the summary

Did you really take that from it? They’ve long been proponents of rent to buy schemes being enabled as one method. I’m not sure making mortgages easier to get is one of their main arguments.

100% mortgages worked well the last time…

Can the older stocks like @anon67715551 educate me with a history lesson on corporation housing in this country.

There was obviously a lot build in this country and from what I can gather the housing stock was sold off, a lot through what would be considered rent to buy schemes today to the people living in them. The Harry Bihar scheme also built the bones of 10000 houses in the 70s in rural villages and sorted mortgages for honest hard working folk who couldn’t break into the market - how did these work?

https://www.theirishstory.com/2020/06/19/podcast-public-housing-in-twentieth-century-dublin-with-ruth-mcmanus/#.X0bpbshKjIU

I’m taking it that it’s Fr. Harry Bohan you’re referring to and his Rural Housing Scheme?
Basically he was the fore-runner of what’s known today as Co-op housing and there are many examples, albeit with different names but essentially the same thing.
These differ slightly from Co. Council housing in that from the outset you are eventually going in as the buyer rather than the tenant. It costs about double what tenancy costs but that’s understandable as you are essentially paying a mortgage (30yrs) AFAIK.
The bulk of these Co-ops are strictly run, repeated fuck-acting gets you the exit, it’s in your initial agreement I think. It works well enough, a crowd called Clúid are one of those agencies and you might find more info there.
This is off the topo’me head, you’d need further research before quoting any of it.

2 Likes

No, more so back in the day (40/50 years ago there) seemed to be a huge amount of corporation housing in villages, towns and cities. These were then sold off, I believe a lot of tenents/families availed of the opportunity to buy the corporation house they lived in.

When did these start making their way into private hands?

Look at the houses in thurles across from semple. Every town in tipp seems to have the same style of house. I guess they were all built to a single plan in the 50s or 60s? They are defining feature of chipness

Meanwhile, my day job has seen a lot of work on social housing builds through the co-ops. Galway city, Limerick city and Dublin are building social housing at the moment, some of it is on the pre-built cell model.

It was Fianna Fáil built those houses. You’d see small detached bungalows around the country too where the council built on a site if you had one.

Those houses are like Millmount and Gortboy in Kilmallock. Just above the fair green.

Thats great. Not sure what that has to do with any of the latest recommendations or suggestions to improve ability for people to be able to buy a house.

I assume the same thing happened with primary schools? There are a huge amount of country primary schools which are nearly identical and would probably have been built around the same time.