With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

Lot to be said for the public sector…LCC are still the biggest employer in the city.

Lovely place to work on a summers day.

Surely UL employ more?

Wouldnt be the City though technically…they would do otherwise.

There’s 500 plus in the LCC office…did co-op there 10 years ago gas place.

Jaysus it doesn’t work like that at all. I know fellas on around 80k and above it and they’re only cogs in a wheel, they don’t have to manage anyone else but themselves.They’re absolutely stealing a living. These guys aren’t working in expensive urban centres like Dublin or London either.

I think a lot of it is to do with being in the right place at the right time, where say for example the company you are in expanded and needed to fill new positions and guys already there were deemed qualified to move up. There’s a lot of money out there and there are some right dopes getting their share of it for doing very little. A lot of luck involved.

I’ve been incredibly lucky myself in my own career where i moved a few positions in a short space of time. I was in right place at right time each time. I see people all around me (family, friends) that work harder than me and deserve more money than me because they make more valuable contribution to society than I do (schools, hospitals etc). Also brighter people than me making a lot less. I’m not about to give my wages back but the whole thing is a cod really. If you want to make money in this life you have to go private sector or work for yourself.

7 Likes

Great post @smark

There’s an awful amount of spoofers out there making crazy amounts of money

2 Likes

Its the nature of the game…

In the private sector its normally people who put their neck on the line who get the big wages.

Say you’re going out on your own or you’re taking a VP role in a big multinational corporation…there’s an element of risk associated with both and you need to ride through that to be successful money wise.

You have to admire both.

It is a lot easier to take the safe option and not take a chance.

or a semi conductor employee

CC @Fagan_ODowd

1 Like

agreed
shifts are the way to go with 45% premiun , 2 days 2 night 4 off rotation
the locals in aughanish alumina would pull that in

What would a fully qualified accountant working in a decent sized provincial accountancy firm earn ?

Depends on experience 60 or 70k in a practise id say if you were lucky and not a partner

too many factors to determine what’s a good wage …some lads are earning 80K and more but if they looked at the hours they worked ,international travel etc. its nearer minimum wage!.. long term what’s the pension like? …the contract - is contract for service or of service i.e. can you go from making 3k into the paw a week to being gone in morning if contract is not renewed. Its a murky world that’s getting murkier…a job where you are on the clock is worth gold

10 Likes

That all depends doesn’t it.

Big firm and the equivalent solicitor or accountant with 6 or 7 post qualified years and I’d expect them to be on or around 6 figures.

Some accountants make great money, others just are on comfortable salaries.

I know a couple of real smart guys who left practice to become financial controllers/directors at small/growing companies. Terrible decisions for them in the medium run. They end up firefighting half the time and aren’t earning fantastic money. If you were to do that I would demand equity everytime. Might be good experience in the long run but you could easily burn out doing that, especially after coming from practice where you are worked hard.

Easily done. I lived on less a week for a couple of years with a far less predictable income.

@The_Most_Infamous saying 3.5k-4k. More money, more problems as they say. You always think an extra few hundred will make you secure but life gets in the way.

2 Likes

im exactly as you describe
after my stupid degree i qualified as a spark ( it was easy as the cert dip elec eng covers most of it) but then packed it in and worked with a corporation… i think about that decision a lot
money by the hour is the way to go if u want cash now… but the pension and health insurance these golden cage type jobs give u are decent… like if we go bust tomorro u get 8 weeks for every year work plus 2 weeks staturory per year., that’ll tie u over for a bit, VHI paid for for wife , kids, its not a bad deal really, if i was with say a contractor or on my own u’re working job to job really with no security, paying VHI and pension off ur own back, … when uve kids, they’re a game changer here… if and i hope never i needed time off for a sick family member, im in a good spot with job, as a spark contracting or on my own, i dont work, i dont get paid

4 Likes

You’re right in what your saying Tim,

But if you’re married and have 1400-1500 going out of your own account a month before everything else…the story changes.

To be fair it all depends on what you want to do mate.

I always find your lifestyle expands to meet your income. You get a couple of hundred quid extra and you buy a nicer car or go out an extra night or a bigger house or whatever but you aren’t really any better off

4 Likes

Very true that.

We’re crucified in this country with income tax though…funnily no one ever mentions it.

Every euro after 32k at more less 50% is crazy.

there is no encouragement to work hard in this country
i have 8 lads reporting to me, a few on shifts
say i need cover on a sunday night, OT for boys, looks great but they get slaughtered in tax, they just dont do it,say in 2007, i was asked to work xmas eve, i got 400% for the shift, now, i still would get that but shur id hand most of it back
with a lot of big companies the incentive in promo are in your annual bonus multiplier and the stocks you get, your base may jump from 65 to 87k but fk it lads once u go over 70k ure screwed
stocks are decent as you go up, bonus multipliers increaae, ok u need to pay 48% on these also and capital gains but there is all sorts of ways of avoiding tax on them if you invest this years bonus in a long term stock purchase plan, this is where you get the cash

2 Likes