Woeful Journalism

Im sobbing here

Is her real name Kathy Bates?

Donal Ogs “Hurling nation” pieces.
Dire

No longer has access to Tom Humphries to polish them.

1 Like

could she not just have used an post rather publishing that scutter

1 Like

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/singer-dies-galway-food-challenge-30012693

Are these not just transcripts of what he says out loud in the morning?

They work more in that setting, they should not be written down word for word.

1 Like

Jonny Cooper: We lost an All-Ireland semi-final in 2014 but winning doesn’t define success

Sounds like it was written by David Brent.

Serious coup for the city

1 Like

You might aswell just throw up limerickleader.ie at this stage.

1 Like

worth €10 million

https://twitter.com/malachyclerkin/status/1669973915869888512?s=46&t=pBoz6vwJNpAFZhshXLNoZg

Christ above, the levels of ignorance and arrogance is truly astounding.

Who would have guessed Fulvio the Fascist would be so outraged at the views of a female immigrant? :grinning:

The funniest thing here is that FtF has a subscription to the Indo. :joy:

Manned by who? The RA?

1 Like

Anyone have a link?

[Consent ](javascript:Didomi.preferences.show())

Irish Independent

As a subscriber you are reading thisarticle

1. Comment

Ricky Gervais in Dublin: Intolerant, nasty, grossly offensive – and 11,000 people laughed along

Comedian made jokes about homeless people, illegal immigrants and inefficient children working in Third World slave labour sweatshops.

Ricky Gervais played two sold-out nights in Dublin this week. Photo: Ray Burmiston

Ricky Gervais speaks onstage at the Season 3 Premiere of Netflix’s “After Life” at the BFI Southbank on January 6, 2022 in London, England. Photo by David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images

Ricky Gervais played two sold-out nights in Dublin this week. Photo: Ray Burmiston

Ricky Gervais speaks onstage at the Season 3 Premiere of Netflix’s “After Life” at the BFI Southbank on January 6, 2022 in London, England. Photo by David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images

Barry Egan

Today at 13:31

I don’t imagine for one moment that it was Ricky Gervais’s intention last night at the 3Arena to increase or endorse intolerant and nasty attitudes towards minorities who get enough sh*t from the world as it is.

Sometimes, however, that was precisely the effect.

His delivery is second to none as a comic. But often what he was delivering was basically unsayable. He said a few times last night that his wife Jane warned him not to do certain jokes.

Read more

He laughed that she warned him not to do the voice of a limbless disabled boy asking for a motorised wheelchair at Christmas – before he does the poor kid’s voice anyway. His jokes about people who identify (and have every right to identify) as non-binary are, at best, mocking, and at worse, hateful.

Patient: “Doctor, doctor, I think I am a pair of curtains.” Doctor: “Then you are.”

His jokes are doubtless triggering to many.

He made a joke that he would be offended if he was a “fat person” in a Nazi concentration camp and one of the guards referred to his weight. “Oi, fatty!” It would “ruin the mood” for him, he said.

Gervais’s argument to people who challenge him for saying highly offensive things they don’t agree with is that they therefore don’t agree with freedom of speech, the lifeblood of a liberal society.

This freedom of speech can, of course, morph sometimes into what could some people would call hate speech. (In 2016, he was called transphobic over a joke he made about Caitlyn Jenner.)

Under the guise of free speech, Gervais last night made reactionary and often sub-juvenile jokes about: African babies with Aids, child brides in Pakistan, limbless disabled boys being misogynist racists, dwarves losing work at Christmas because of woke culture, Chinese children eating dogs, children giving sexual services to the local paedophile in return for a puppy, his mother performing fellatio in hell eternally, his grandmother loving penises, Hitler’s one testicle… and even more tasteless (if such a thing was possible) horrible jokes about homeless people, illegal immigrants and inefficient children working in Third World slave labour sweatshops whose mothers are sexually abused “by their owners”.

Around 11,000 people laughed – as 11,000 people did the night before at the same sold-out venue. We possibly felt complicit or comfortable by laughing. It was like the line in the Taylor Swift song: “Look what you made me do.”

Ricky Gervais made us split our sides laughing at some horrendous jokes. We can’t blame him. We knew what we were getting when we sat down in our seats last night at 7.45pm.

This is the controversial comic who said in his 2022 Netflix special SuperNature: “The old-fashioned women – oh, God. You know, the ones with wombs? Those f***ing dinosaurs. I love the new women. They’re great. The new ones we’ve been seeing lately – the ones with beards and cocks.”

The same contrarian who said after the international success of his 2019’s Netflix comedy drama After Life: “I never doubted a comedy about a suicidal man whose wife dies of cancer could be anything other than hilarious.”

At times he comes across like Bernard Manning trying to be clever and post-modern in his comedy, because at the end of the day most of what he says on stage if it was repeated in a pub would probably get him thrown out or barred for life

In an article in Psychology Today last year, where psychologists analysed what makes something funny, the key points were basically that humour “relies on the presence of a so-called edgy violation… some contradiction of social norms or acceptability”.

He laughs about leaving his heating and air conditioning on and flushing all of the eight toilets in the house constantly to do his bit to destroy the planet for the next generation and that Greta Thunberg will have to defecate out of a window when she’s 80. So says a privileged multimillionaire white comedian of a certain age – 62 – trying to stay relevant. I’m not the joke police.

I get it – I get it that Gervais is telling liberals what a joke they have become and the joke is on them. But at times he comes across like Bernard Manning trying to be clever and post-modern in his comedy, because at the end of the day most of what he says on stage if it was repeated in a pub would probably get him thrown out or barred for life.

Caitlyn Jenner was previously the butt of Ricky Gervais’ jokes. Photo: PA Wire

Gervais would probably say I’m missing the point. His point is that we should be able to laugh at anything. Other people might see it as bigotry/hatred masquerading as jokes.

His point – if you can call it a point – is that we have become a fragile, ultra-sensitive “species of narcissistic apes” who are “scared of words” in this over-woke world we live in, a politically correct universe where everyone fears offending everyone else by so much as breathing a word that may be deemed racism, fascism, anti-LGBTQ+, anti-trans or cultural appropriation.

“People come up to me and go, ‘Rick! Have you been imprisoning journalists?’. And I go, ‘No.’ They go, ‘Oh, interesting.’ They go, ‘Have you been gassing Jews?’. And I go, ‘No’. And they say, ‘Then pop it in your bio’.

“It’s an odd thing to just declare: ‘I’m not a fascist.’ You wouldn’t go up to someone in the street and say that, would you? It’s like they protest too much. It’s like going into a school and going, ‘I’m not a paedo! I’m just say that straight up – I’m not a paedo! The kids can run around naked if they want.’ So I’m not fascist, because the word “fascist” has changed, hasn’t it? It used to mean a member of a far-right, authoritarian regime that uses militarism and violence to suppress individual rights.

“Now it means liking a Joe Rogan tweet. So, words change. That’s why I’m becoming woke. I don’t want to be left behind.”

He said he had left behind some of his material on the plane from England, as the shock factor was pushed to the max. He laughed that some of the material probably won’t make it into the Netflix special of Armageddon when it goes out in early 2024. Possibly the “joke” about waiting for a 12-year-old girl in Pakistan to come of age before a man can legally have sex with her.

He did a routine about going to Dover at the weekend to watch illegal immigrants come in on overloaded boats and how he would take pleasure at looking under lorries to see if there were any immigrants hanging on for dear life.

1:36

On This Day In History - July 13th

Sometimes the veil slips and he says that he wouldn’t really do that. Like when a neighbour tells him that their son is terminally ill in hospital with cancer and that they are praying for him that he would go home and pray twice for the child to die just to see does it have any effect the other way.

This is his joke about his absence of faith in a god and the absurdity of religion. He comes back on at the end of the show to resounding applause – not to apologise for some of the more tasteless hate jokes but to deliver a closing and cosy fireside message to us all.

“I am woke,” he says as 11,000 people laugh.

“If ‘woke’ means trying to maximise equality and minimise oppression and being anti-racist and anti-sexist, and all those things, then, yeah, I’m woke.

“If ‘woke’ means being a puritanical, authoritarian bully that shouts people down and gets people fired for an honest opinion or sometimes a fact, then, no, f*** that, I’m not woke. To each their own. Laugh at what you find funny. All laughter is good. You’re amazing. Thank you.”

Read more

Play

Unmute