Woeful Journalism

The wife knew nothing ? And she a treasurer in ff national executive and they booking 10k wedding singers and buying up Portugal. She never asked with her background and expertise where this money is coming from?
Solicitors in the main are leeches but this guy was a common thief

1 Like

You have a nasty suspicious mind. I doubt the solicitor daughter was in the slightest bit suspicious either, the one taking over the practice like. She’s the main victim in all this.

I’ve a little bit to say on this, I happen to know the girl from college. I found her a very lovely person. She has another sister who is (or was) a playwright in England somewhere. They were both good conversationists, plenty to talk about, very charming, down to earth and non-judgmental (which is obviously a complete pre-requisite before anyone would ever think of being friends with the like of me). At the time I was surrounded by coke head D4s in my course and I thought “how nice to meet these decent, kind, honest country girls, people who share my values and background.”
I was very shocked to put the pieces together obviously and I feel very sorry for her. I was surprised to notice I’m not Facebook friends with the girl anymore but I’m happy to avoid any scandal by association. What effect will this have on the girl, discovering her parents who she idolized were petty crooks? She’s not the real victim though, the victim is the orphan baby who got his entire inheritance robbed off him.

She’s only qualified 2 or 3 years and not really in a position to run a top-level practice herself but she’ll have an excellent resource to help her in the form of her father who can advise her on all aspects of the practice and basically will still be running the show.

Exactly. She’s the real victim in this. Let’s face it, charlatans and fraudsters and the like are never charming good conversationalists . The solicitor inheriting the small town practice that paid for houses, villas, lavish weddings and the like is the real victim. The children defrauded of their inheritance and support taken out by the responsible father tragically killed are only collateral damage.

If she did her apprenticeship under daddy dearest I don’t know how she wouldn’t have noticed things being askew

I doubt she saw the clients accounts.

Wouldn’t need to see the accounts, the correspondence file would have told its own story

Who’s doing the investigating?

Dunno

Hopefully not his buddies in the bar council anyway. @artfoley @Tank is there any chance of this lad seeing the inside of a cell?

lolzers…

3 Likes

Amateur hour

Amateur day

So are we to assume no crime was committed and it was all a misunderstanding. Right so.

Not all, but it’s the second time today that someone has presumed that a solicitor will be investigated by barristers :roll_eyes:

Just read the Times piece on it. So its the Law Society investigating. Apologies for the confusion. Are the Law Societies only powers really to stop him from practising? What would have to happen for the garda to investigate? Is it not against the law to defraud clients? Will the results of the disciplinary hearing have any bearing on what if anything happens next?

If the da was filing invoices and bills for this stuff then she would have seen those. To be honest though, once people reach a certain age I think they really know nearly everything about their parent’s lives. Something like that is just too big to hide.
It’s fucking mad though. This was the very last person you’d suspect.

She was happy enough with the houses, villas, and weddings I’d imagine.

1 Like

Was there a fraud proven? Its clear what went on. But the Law Soc were investigating in that case if the fees in was charging were excessive. Also unclear from the article but did he give the widow back all her money?

There is plenty more like this cabog around the country. There is a fella who did far worse down in west cork (and faced stronger sanctions from Law Soc) and there isnt half the noise that this story got. Same fella used to lecture the ethics course in Blackhall place…

He gave back all the money?
Ah that’s grand then. Nothing to see here.

1 Like