The Kyle wrecks your head thread

I always said prior to Limericks success in 2018 that Iā€™d die happy to see Limerick win one All Ireland. What has transpired since has been off the charts. Unbelievably so.

Your post above suggests that is something to be sneered at, is it?

I think thats a horrible, cuntish opinion. Not everyone may be as lucky as your good self.

2 Likes

2013 after the Munster Final was an unbelievable night in the city.

4 Likes

The semi-final prior to that in 2013 was class too after bating a fancied Tipp outfit. Been a long time since weā€™d got over the line in the Munster championship.

Richie McCarthy was immense the same day. Bubbles made his debut for Tipp off the bench got 1-3 from play. I think everyone went home slightly sunburnt. Roasting hot day.

1 Like

Iā€™ll have to repeat myself, sorry.
I have no issue with people enjoying top level sports and talking great joy from it, and the flip side of the great disappointments.
If it means more to somebody than family then I guess I feel some pity.

My initial post was a response to somebody who said that the Limerick hurling team brought them the greatest joys and disappointment of their lives.
Iā€™m have enough going on to know that real life hits you a lot harder on a weekly basis than watching your team lose, itā€™s just a form of entertainment

Iā€™m not belittling your post re your father etc, itā€™s a very common bonding practice, winning or losing doesnā€™t matter though

1 Like

Weā€™re discussing an amateur sport here.

1 Like

You were sneering away there looking for a reaction tracksuit.

Sure if we were all married to the best looking woman in Limerick - none of us would give a fuck about sport would we.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never seen this reaction outside the Coombe

18 Likes

Depends on the age profile of said person as well. I just wouldnā€™t knock a person for their priorities. Weā€™re not all that lucky and if something like sport makes up for that , so be it.

Is it not amazing the influence I have, off the cuff, without even tryingā€¦?

Quite a feat to be both a stupid little mouse and thick as a ditch.

Will the server be shut down?

Have to agree 100% with a poster from earlier that I had always said prior to 2018 that I would die happy if Limerick ever won 1 All Ireland and that what has transpired since is dreamland.

My first match was 1983, there followed 35
years of many great days with friends and family at matches but in a sporting sense nothing will ever ever top for me the hours and days after the final of 2018. The time spent with family and friends then was unbelievable, the outpouring of joy. Iā€™v never really compared it with my kids birth or my wedding but I do know those days in 2018 are among my most precious memories.

I fervently believe we will do 5 in a row, I hope we do for the players and management, for them to be the first to ever do so would be brilliant for them. Does it matter to me in terms of their legacy, not a jot. Whenever our run ends it will be sad but I have never been more zen and calm about a hurling year ahead, what will be will be.

12 Likes

Without sport what even is life?

6 Likes

If it wasnā€™t for sport, the prison population of this planet would probably be double what it is

8 Likes

They wouldnā€™t even have Replays of the 2004 Munster Final to watch inside there

8 Likes

Amazing that thereā€™s lunatics out there looking on thinking every post is about them. The vanityā€¦

1 Like

I think a combination of the pandemic, the split season absurdity & having young childeren (cc @HBV) drove a change in mindset & priorities for me.

An informal, off the cuff, Covid era life audit saw me conclude we should do/see/explore more ourselves instead of days drifting by watching other folk do stuff.

Hence I would be more inclined to be out somewhere at the weekend with the kids or being a fun running buffoon than specifically organising my time around being at home to watch a hurling match, EPL Super Sunday or whatever.

Iā€™d still pick up plenty of sport on tv & go to the odd match but itā€™s more casual than before. I guess priorities may change again as the lads get older & more independent too.

I get BIATā€™s point though in that hurling is an amateur pastime/hobby at the end of the day.

Edit: I should also say that Wexford being shit might very well be a factor.

9 Likes

No it doesnā€™t. :grimacing:

1 Like

And yet of the 2 self professed swordsmen here only one of ye has a happy life with a partner and 2 Childersā€¦.its a funny old game Saint.

1 Like

Neither would hold a candle to thraw.

1 Like

Can agree with this too, I definitely donā€™t shape my weekends around sport on tv to any degree now. The one non negotiatble however is Limerick hurling and my wife thankfuly has understood that ever since we met. Living in Dublin it means a bit of priority planning early in the year with the calendar and the marking in of league and championship matches, weekends I have to be at home in Limerick or on the road to Thurles, Cork or wherever. Now of course she always tells me that up to 2018 it was much easier for her to plan our summers!!

I do also agree however what would life be without sport in that all my main friend groups are based on connections made through sport. The lads I played underage with, college team mates, lads from the club I joined when I moved to Dublin, the lads who share my obsession with Limerick hurling and still meet at every match, the lads whoā€™s childhood loyalty to Liverpool has become a life long afflictionā€¦ Our bonds now are much stronger than that, we have shared and helped each other through marriage, kids, bereavement, job losses, breakups but that original connection was sport.

8 Likes

Two lovely posts, fair play. Believe it or not I donā€™t disagree with anything. Sport is a wonderful addition to all our lives, I love following top level sports and it has enriched my life in many ways.
But the context of my postings here is actually being agreed on by everybody, thereā€™s a lot more going on that contributes to our lives in larger ways, I mentioned my own sporting achievements in a team context being of far greater significance to me, now my daughters sporting contests bring me huge pleasure, their travails through life (Iā€™ve recently had a very sensitive child being bullied) bring me far greater despair, just some examples.
You wonā€™t actually die happy now that Limerick have won all those matches, that will depend on a great deal of other things, I very much hope you die happy.
Hopefully this can be my last word, itā€™s funny how a comment can cause so much responses which are supposed to be oooofts but actually agree with me.
Top level sports are great for connecting people, a great escape from life, if Cork ever win another all Ireland it will give m great joy, but if it never happened I wouldnā€™t be any worse off

2 Likes