World Cup 2002

Keane was excellent against Holland but even better vs Portugal at home imho

4 Likes

Chillax

19 years…christ. I won a west junior B medal as a garsun that day. Both games were on at the same time. My moniker was captain. The only time he captained a team to silverware. We retired to the Bridge afterwards to see England beat Germany 5-1. I think U2 played Slane the same day.

3 Likes

Outstanding internetting @mac.

He was the stand out player for both home games v Holland and Portugal.

An awful pity he decided to walk instead of standing when it really mattered.

Ah shur. These things happen in life - I wouldnt get so bent out of shape about it pal.

What he done was selfless. He made a stand for the good of Irish soccer as a whole.

Selfless :sweat_smile:

is he the guy the civil engineer from Clyde destroyed?

6 Likes

He held a grudge for a decade over being dragged out of a Boston slophouse by Big Mick

No no, it was a bouncer from Inverness

2 Likes

Ireland performed really well at 2002 WC which really shows up the fanaticism and revisionism from the Keane fanboys.

Easily replaced by and his absence unnoticed by errrrr, Mark Kinsella and Matt Holland.

Not forgetting the fraud fucked off away from the Irish team who had a second leg in the playoff to play an EPL game two or three days later.

1 Like

Ireland beat Saudi Arabia and got two flukey draws. They lost against a terrible Spanish team then where Mick McCarthy didn’t know they were down to 10 men. Imagine that.

Cameroon and Germany have better WC pedigree than Ireland in the main . A bad Spain team would generally be expected to beat Ireland . Ireland did well overall . We didn’t have a great squad if truth be told . The team galvanised and played above themselves when Roy had a sulk .

As always, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

1 Like

A terrible Spain team? They weren’t what they were about 10 years later but they still had a much better team than us on paper. We didn’t lose either, we drew and were penalties away from a quarter final against South Korea

Who went through? We lost.

Spain lost to South Korea then

Try going into a bookies with a docket for a team that won on penalties and see what you get back

1 Like

Try turning up for a quarter final when you lose the previous round on penalties and see what happens

1 Like