World Cup 2002

They were a decent team but if truth told probably overachieved .

1 Like

Your problem here is you are using the Premier League as a yardstick for International Football.

3 Likes

I failed to consider all the La Liga and Seire A players Ireland had at the time too

An understandable oversight.

The Cameroon side Ireland disposed of in the knockout stages had plenty of regulars in the EPL/Serie A/La Liga and Ligue 1.

Ireland never produced a player as good as Eto’o in that time for example and you can include Roy Keane in that too.

That Irish team were better without Roy Keane.

1 Like

Cameroon have a better WC pedigree than Republic of Ireland . We have no divine right to beat them .

Ireland drew with them 1-1 in the group stage

Cameroon were eliminated at the group stage. Ireland advanced.

1 Like

It was a very poor World Cup all round in fairness.

It did however give us one of RTÉ’s all time greatest montages, aided wonderfully by Feeder.

3 Likes

Really? They haven’t got out of a group since 1990. Fair enough they’ve qualified more than ireland have but they’re a powerhouse in African qualifying. Ireland aren’t in the top 10 in Europe. By a big stretch

Desperate poor. Probably one of, if not the worst, in living memory.

Teams like Korea, Turkey, USA and Senegal going deep into the tournament and none of them did anything before or since. And the final decided by an Ollie Kahn blunder.

1 Like

Fucking hell, we really should have bate the bollocks off Cameroon. We could have come out top of the group and walked it to a World Cup Final like Germany did.

What’s this based on? They qualify more but they’ve gotten no further than the groups on 6 of the 7 times they’ve bee there.

We’ve gotten out of the group every time we’ve been in it

Qualification achieved more often and probably more memorable games to the average punter . To be honest I thought they made the knock outs at least twice but there you go .

I forgot how Duffer was almost untouchable in that tournament

Mourinho finished Duff.

1 Like

Destroyed him

The 2002 WC was all about R9 coming back and dominating the biggest stage of world football after pretty much no football in 2 years and only ever getting to 70% of his peak level.

Great banter too with the hosts.

3 Likes