World Cup 2002

It wasn’t until around November 2009 that I saw the light and realised that Big Mick was right and Roy was wrong in Saipan.

3 Likes

Nothing flukey about the draws. Ireland thoroughly deserved the equaliser against Germany and were unlucky not to beat Spain.

It was an excellent performance and the Keane fanaticals can’t hack that Ireland did not miss him one iota.

They didn’t beat Portugal.

Mick McCarthy said if they had Roy Keane in the frame of mind he was in for the Holland and Portugal games they’d have gone further.

It was poor man management by him.

From Roy Keane.

It was. Tbf McCarthy should have left at home when he faked an injury to miss a playoff match and play for his club a few days later.

Saying Ireland didnt miss him is fanciful at best. It’s a typical stance from you.

Ireland won one game against Saudia Arabia. They had Spain on the ropes and they couldn’t get it done against 10 men.

To say an international side didnt miss the captain of the most succesful team in the premier league is fantasy lad.

Roy Keane had won against the real madrid and barcelona players as a captain of his club. He wouldnt have been afraid to try win it in extra time against 10 men.

The manager didn’t know the opposition were down to 10 men in extra time and played for penalties. None of the players had the balls to say, eh Mick, they’re missing a guy

How did they miss him?

The only game they lost on penalties was against a very good Spanish side.
They drew and outplayed the eventual runners up for most of the game.
Drew with a decent Cameroon side and should have won it.
Handled Saudi Arabia quite handily.

Their performances were very good so pray tell, how they missed Keane? You are letting your doe-eyed fanboy love of a traitor cloud any sort of rational contribution.

An Italian giving a blow by blow accounts of Ireland’s 2002 WC campaign. You love to see it.

What are my odds of changing your mind on this?

The bookies don’t offer markets on that.

Football fan watches World Cup matches shocker.

A footix wouldn’t understand the concept.

1 Like

I just said I love to see it? - you’re very defensive.

I go full catenaccio when defending my football views.

1 Like

Gas cunts

In hindsight Brazil should have a big * next to their 2002 World cup as Ireland with Roy Keane would have made the final and most likely have won it out.

4 Likes

footix ALERT

Roy Keane was a very good footballer and Ireland would have been better for having him there.

Ireland played really well regardless. Should have beaten Spain.

Mick and Roy were both pigheaded in the extreme an it cost Ireland in our only World Cup in 26 years and counting.

1 Like

Rivaldo wouldn’t have had a chance against Steve Finnan

1 Like

how do you think an unhappy Keane would have affected morale?

Mate, I honestly dont care any more. He was a savage player, and I dont think any team would have suffered for him being there. Maybe others would have played poorly.

I think in general, the 2002 WC team was massively underrated. Given, Finnan, Harte, Kilbane, Duff, Robbie Keane, Matt Holland etc were all regular starters in the premier league. Given was one of the top 3 keepers in the league. Duff would go on to be a star. Keane would score over a hundred goals. Finnan won the Champions League. Holland was the captain as his club. They were a very good team