World Cup 2018/2022 Decision

A World Cup every two years sounds awful.

2 Likes

Ludicrous

1 Like

Let’s trial it and see how it goes

Wenger of all people has taken the soup. He was supposed to be the purist.

Be the end of the Euros then

That’s not the plan.

The plan would be an international tournament every summer - so WC one year, the following year there would be Euros/Copa America etc.

For him, that is in two chunks, preferably a month of qualifying matches in October and then a month for the finals in June/July, with no other interruptions, a mandatory rest period of 25 days for every player every summer and an overall ratio, in terms of games, of 80-20 in favour of club football.

This, he believes, can be achieved if we scrap friendlies and other fripperies such as the Nations League, streamline the qualifiers and pack these two windows with meaningful fixtures. Do this and we could hold biennial World Cups and European Championships, on alternating two-year cycles, without actually adding to the players’ workload, while cutting down on travel and time away from clubs. They might even get three weeks in Miami or Mykonos.

I think three weeks in October and February each along with summer may well be a happy medium. But I think a big tournament every year would lose its novelty. Maybe a WC every two years and the regional comps staying on the 4 years cycle so there is 3 big tournaments every 4 years might be better.

This would be a great idea. Elite club football is shite

3 Likes

I know that, but sure that won’t happen. The clubs would go mental. This is all so FIFA can muscle in on UEFA

will the FAI make money from it?

The players wont agree to it, for all the bullshit of going on about playing for their country at the end of the day they are overpaid premadonnas who would rather be decked out on a Barbados beach than playing a tournament in the arsehole of Russia or Qatar every second June, the WAGs certainly wont have it.

I love Arsene Wenger with all my heart but for the sake of the party I urge Arsene to please pull back.

There’s a massive power struggle between UEFA and FIFA right now and it’s actually fascinating to watch.

1 Like

It would be absolute shit… The joy of the Euros/ WC is the frequency and wait. Club football is already over saturated, let’s not have international go the same road.

It’s all just an attempt for even more revenue and fuck supporters while they are at it.

4 Likes

International tournaments are far more enjoyable

1 Like

International tournaments are what they are because of scarcity and because they’re hard to qualify for.

They’ve already taken the hard to qualify part away, so I suppose it’s a logical next step to take the scarcity away.

Logical in the sense of not caring one whit about diluting them.

4 Likes

its a consumer society now, every fucker wants instant gratification, in every part of their live, its too much to wait 4 years for the world cup, lets have it every 2 years, down the road it will be every year, same with the Olympics etc

1 Like

I remember as a young lad I saw Halley’s Comet. I remember thinking I’ll never see that again in my life.

It gave me a lovely sense of joy.

What’s seldom is wonderful.

1 Like

A load of me bollix

For the WC, nothing is a given for any European team to qualify. Only 13 spots

For this World Cup. I presume it’ll go up to 16 for 2026. For the rest of the world it’ll be almost impossible for any half decent team to not qualify, there will be a lot of filler, and that will dilute the tournament as a whole. The Euros is already diluted at 24 and you’d expect it will go to 32 at some point in the next 10 to 15 years.

Another thing with the idea of a 48 team World Cup every two years - where do you host it?

1 Like

On the world. Anywhere.

The Euros that was just on was brilliant, the best in years

1 Like