World Cup 2018/2022 Decision

Spread out all over a region no doubt… Europe - North America + Mexico - South America… Africa … Asia… Fans will just have to pay top dollar which is great as no one wants working class fans at games any more anyway… It would fuck the mid east tho. Jamming it into Qatar is fine - imagine a WC spread out in Saudi, Oman, Yemen, Qatar … Be a laugh a minute I imagine.

A World Cup hosted by The World?

Play your group matches in Melbourne, your last 32 match in Cairo, last 16 match in New York, Baku for the quarters, Buenos Aires for the semi, and the final in Beijing?

Very few nations could host a 48 team world cup. Maybe the US (if they could be bothered), Australia, Germany, the UK and Russia. After that, unless you want games played in old stadia, you’d be looking at covering a huge geographical area (already an issue with Australia, Russia and the US) to play the games.

You left out Asia and South America

Brazil definitely could, Japan and China could.

To Sids point, you could definitely host it within a continent

I’m not too familiar with stadiums in Asia so I excluded that. I know China have a few and obviously Japan and Korea have some experience.

Brazil can but they had such a bad experience the last time I doubt they would go for it again.

I’ve personally always preferred when World Cups/Euros are held in one country. Makes travel to the tournament much simpler.

Also limits the exposure and bribe money. Multi country tournaments are the future after the Qatar fiasco.

If they’ve moved the cunting thing to Christmas they’ll do anything

2026 is in us, Canada and Mexico

The Qatar fiasco was due to corruption. I dont think the rulebook needs to be thrown out because of it. No one would argue that it is the best place to hold a tournament.

Anyway, it’s just a preference. I’ll still watch it regardless

I’d imagine the days of host countries are coming to an end. It costs too much and theirs so many world class stadiums everywhere it doesn’t make sense.

Gives countries like ours a chance to experience being a host too.

There is talk of a joint bid from Italy and the Saudi Arabia hosting the first 48 team World Cup with the gulf nation throwing a good few bob Italy’s way to improve their stadiums.

16 groups of 3 teams. So you wouldn’t really need more than half a dozen stadiums each.

Exactly. Having multiple host cities removes an element of corruption. And if its every two years there’ll be no corruption. They’ll nearly have to bribe cunts to take it

FIFA could award hosting rights alphabetically, host it worldwide in cities beginning with a particular letter. This World Cup has been brought to you by the letter A, like Sesame Street.

Atlanta
Athens
Amsterdam
Almaty
Auckland
Addis Ababa
Abu Dhabi
Algiers
Alexandria
Aleppo
Aberdeen
Adelaide
Ascuncion
Antananarrivo
Athlone

1 Like

I see you’ve responded with your usual maturity and good grace to a reasonable opinion which you disagree with

Whats worse Aleppo or athlone?

Shoes off in Mecca is the norm so the Boys in green will be alright.

1 Like

Wha?

I posted some light hearted whimsy, which wasn’t in direct response to anybody, in order to highlight the absurdity of looking for host countries for 48 team monstrosities every two years.

Imagine a world cup in Saudi Arabia … bussed too and from games and fans kept in compounds by armed guards.

The US could host a few tournaments, on a regional basis. New York, Washington, Baltimore, Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Clevland and Charlotte are all relatively close and all have fantastic stadiums already built.

Will John delaney be able to bribe fans with slabs of carlsburg on the train?

Colombia, Ecuador and Peru are in for 2030 - I’d nearly go to that. The drugs would be off the hook, although I’ll be of an age where doing marching powder would be weird and sad (er) by then

1 Like

A yellow card and you get a finger chopped off. A red and your whole hand gets chopped off. A bit like the Galway club hurling championship.

3 Likes