World Cup 2018 Betting Thread

Russia v Egypt tomorrow.

Russia 11/10
Draw 2/1
Egypt 3/1

Egypt were good against Uruguay and that was without Salah who I presume returns tomorrow? Looks to be worth opposing Russia to win to me, as I don’t think they are up to much. What do you think lads @anon32894817 and our Middle Eastern expert @mickee321

well fk that
Tunisia were never going to score a goal from open play even if the english special olympics back 4 lined up and then that jammy spotter

england ground that out in fairness
id still have Vardy on all day instead of the harmless Sterling and they look a bit ropey at the back
they dug that out tho against horrible oppositon and that is to be admired

@Smark
Hows it going
Regarding egypt
I thought they were good very Uruguay but they lacked an abvious cutting edge, they had Marwan Moshen from AL Ahly Cairo on his own up top against uruguay and Godin and Giminez had him in a clamp throughout
Now that game really was a story over how reliant two teams are on their front men, I was not impressed with Uruguay at all, they had no width and were just all the time waiting for the brilliant Cavani to unlock a door for suarez and… when Suarez couldn’t do it Cavanai just did it himself rattling a post and then that volley, but in short- if one of those lads goes down and Suarez was close to loosing it- Urugauy aren’t much
Now Egypt
Absolute key man _ Mohommed Elmeny
He was my MOTM last Friday, sat in front of the back 4 and trashed everything Uruguay brought thru the midfield, he was box to box supporting the very clever Trezeguet and El Said, I thought if they had Salah they would have done damage
Their back 4 are decent – Hegazi from WBA had a brilliant game Friday with Ali Gabr , think he is with Zamelek and the young man in goals whose name escapes me is very solid- they are a very very good side but they need Salah,
Now can they beat Russia? Yes
We have seen nothing of Russia , I fucking know enough about middle eastern football not to big up a team like Saudi or israel but I did, Saudis problem , they all play in the same league all their careers ( 20 of the 23 man squad are with 3 clubs) , their value is vastly over inflated internally , they play at a slow pace, the players are familiar with the same players every season, physically they are slight (in israel and saudi the center half could play outside right- these lads are all the same physically) and when it comes to this – they cant switch on, I thought they were ok v Italy, ok v an awful Germany but clearly that shit with Erdogan and ozil /gundogan has caused problems there , but v Russia they just fell apart
Russia, meh- few nice players – theyre a threat, big lads like Artem Dzyuba who under normal circumstances would scare the living shite out of a north African team but Hegazi and Elmeny are animals and will be ok for that…
Egypt are worth a bet BUT Salah must play

2 Likes

Egypt have never scored a goal in the world cup that is a stat also that may worry me,
they didnt trouble Muslera that much last friday really, they absolutely need the main man

They scored against Holland in 1990 but it was a penalty.

i could have sworn that was 0-0
take me through it there
it was a tuesday night right?

ive done a massive bet on egypt to beat Saudi at 4/6

1 Like

Yeah it was the night after the England-Eire 1-1 in Cagliari. The game was in Palermo. Kieft scored early in the second half with a sort of stabbed half-volley to put the Dutch 1-0 up.

Hossan Hassan got clean through on goal and went down under a challenge from Ronald Koeman with about nine minutes left. Barry Davies was under no doubt that it was a penalty but my memory is he went down easy enough. Koeman was lucky to avoid a red card. A guy called Magdi Abdel Ghani converted the penalty.

3 Likes

sublime
Remember Mark Wright’s goal a few days later?

Going into the final games in the group there was a serious threat of lots being drawn between all four teams as there had been two 1-1 draws and two 0-0 draws. Had Egypt equalised, and they nearly did, it would have happened. I always thought Mick McCarthy sort of conned Ruud Gullit with that agreement that neither Eire or Holland would attack. We weren’t going to score again. Had they gone for it, they might have, and we got the long straw when two-way lots were drawn.

One common theme of Bobby Robson’s two World Cups was how the England team evolved in personnel as the matches went on. In '86 Peter Reid, Steve Hodge and Peter Beardsley came into the team for Bryan Robson, Ray Wilkins and Mark Hateley. John Barnes caused havoc for Argentina when he came on in the quarter-final. Robson must have rued not starting him or at least throwing him on earlier.

In '90, Mark Wright was one of at least three players who didn’t start against Eire who came into the team as the tournament progressed - David Platt and Paul Parker were the others.

From what I remember Wright played as a sort of sweeper in front of the back four, so England didn’t play a simple 4-4-2, more like a 5-4-1 or a 5-3-1-1.

Colombia and Poland both to win to nil 7/1
Falcao and Lewandowski anytime double 11/2

Who’s that with?

PP, second one is actually 5/1

Got a link please @Blake. Can’t find it in the specials

Looking good now

1 Like

Shitty treble for tomorrow.
Portugal to win
Spain win to nil
Uruguay win to nil
7/2ish