World Cup Observations

I think some of that is due to over-familiarity. If you hadn’t seen Benzema before you’d say he is as good as anyone. He’s not far off that in truth, but he has been inconsistent for Real. Back in 94 say when you’d see Stoichkov or even Klinsmann - obviously they were very famous but you’d only see them a few times a season so they seemed more exotic and talented when you saw them in World Cups.

But a lot of the best attackers aren’t pure strikers - Ronaldo, Messi to an extent, Lavezzi, Cavani (though he can play there), Aguero (again he can play there but often plays as a wide attacker/off a striker, Muller, Robben, Neymar etc.

Zlatan, Robbie Keane and Falcao not being there doesn’t help.

Eh Suarez maybe?? :oops:

I would say yes, I think it’s fair to say there are not the quality predatory strikers around that there once was but also a lot of managers now prefer to ignore pure goalscorers over players who will help retain possession. I personally hate teams playing without a pure goalscorer. I can understand weaker teams doing it as sometimes they require a player who will put a great effort in running the channels and closing players down or they feel the need to get a hold of the ball but when big teams do it I get really annoyed.

That would be my take on it aswell. Less and less teams are playing 442 which is making the predatory striker more and more redundant.

You don’t see strike partnerships anymore either. It’s usually a guy up front who can bring others into the game or a player who can hit teams on the break. Uruguay have two of the best strikers in the world but they don’t really play as a strike partnership. Italy are meant to be going with a 3-5-2 on Tuesday against Uruguay which gives me some cause for optimism, Cassano and Immobile look like they will be given the chance.

That is fucking retarded. So that’s why the German’s no longer wear the classic black togs and white shirt with black/red/orange trim?

The way the Sherman’s line for their national anthem!!

http://www.thefreekick.com/board/index.php?threads/association-football-kits.11695/page-16#post-905302

What do brazilians think of their former colonial overlords?

A lot of the Brazilians probably are Portuguese originally so I’d say they don’t mind

The Chilean and Italian national anthems are the best in the world.

The greek sub keeper is the spit of clarkeycat.

There have been few if any goals directly from free kicks.
Few long range screamers of any type actually.

James Rodriguez will be in La Liga before long.

Commentators calling him Hamez is really beginning to piss me off.

I’d say his buyout clause is enormous. Monaco didn’t get him for cheap.

The rat-faced racist has a very weird set of teeth judging by the imprint on Chiellini. All canines, that chap.

Samuel Eto’o is a decent sort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy6IfXTMuc0

That’s how his name is pronounced for fuxake.

It used to grate with me when Jimmy Magee used to pronounce Soren Lerby as Soren Lerbu.