World War 1 Thread

Surgeon in the Kaiser’s army is well worth a read, and also the book about the sinking of the Lusitania “Dead Wake”.

My great grandfather is buried at Ypres in Belgium. Well, there is a grave with his name on it but when my cousins visited a few years back they were informed that the remains down there were unlikely to be his. There was so many bodies that the people burying them used to just dump a body in, then tick off a name, to save time.

4 Likes

Did you ever visit Ypres yourself? Lovely town. I got a guided tour of the battlefields around there approximately 10 years ago. It was as good a tour as I’ve ever got.

My great-grandfather got back from the war but subsequently passed away a month before the war ended. My grandfather was born in 1917 so never really knew his father. My great-grandfather is buried in an old cemetery down towards Kells and his gravestone is looked after by the crowd who sell the poppies (I presume). He was in the Royal Irish Regiment as the rank of Private and was 39 when he died!
The grave gives remembrance for my great-grandmother who was 78 when she died, but also two children - a boy who died aged 3 months and a girl who died aged 2 years. The boy has the same name as my grandfather.

6 Likes

I didn’t. It’s on my to do list to visit that grave.

Give this lad a bell when you are going. Let him know where your ggf is buried and he will take you there.

https://www.ypres-fbt.com/

Edit with link now @Batigol

1 Like

V sad imagine the poor families back then

I’d a grand uncle who was a doctor in the army. He practised in Glasgow after and died young in 1929.

2 Likes

Is it normal if you know nothing of your family, on both side, and their involvement or not during WW1, the civil war, war of independence etc. I know nothing, zero.

Sounds like you were a Tan

Touts maybe.

Most people just got with normal life. There wasn’t much news about it around bar the absence of bananas and oranges.

More of this please. Well done Limerick.

1 Like

A great way of knowing which families took the soup.

8 Likes

80 seems like a very high number or would that have been typical of the time?

Must be true. How big is Ballingarry Co. Limerick?

Smaller than it was in 1914.

1 Like

Depends if you ask @dodgy_keeper or the the representative Rathkeale GAA club

That lad who replied to the tweet is the very reason some people mightn’t like that sort of thing.

Note his address.
Another one for the Cork Wierdo thread.

2 Likes

It did not ring a bell.

Oh dear.

2 Likes