Would you respect somebody in a position of authority if they had a lisp?

Well?

Any thoughts?

Did you get a promotion?

1 Like

Nobody with a lisp will ever reach a position of authority.

Is there any cure for a lisp? Like a tongue tie or something?

Surely thatā€™s just like asking, ā€œWould you respect a lady manager?ā€ Situation wonā€™t arise in our lifetimes Iā€™d imagine.

1 Like

Yessssssssss.

Actually, no.

Were you passed up for a promotion in favour of somebody who has a lisp? That would be very embarrassing.

On a serious note, a bird at work has a lisp and she is worse than useless. I donā€™t use that phrase lightly. She causes problems and if she did nothing she would actually be of more use. Sheā€™s also prone to the old waterworks. Someone has made her cry at the last two Christmas parties, and weā€™re thinking of starting a book as to who makes it a hat-trick this year. On that sample size, Iā€™m inferring that all people that have lisps are not to be respected.

[quote=ā€œbraz83, post: 515065ā€]
Were you passed up for a promotion in favour of somebody who has a lisp? That would be very embarrassing.[/quote]

Iā€™m seriously pissed off with Colm Bonnar getting another year as Wexford hurling manager. No wonder none of the players give a shit - how could you respect him?

Along similar lines, I asked somebody the time yesterday and it turns out he had a serious stammer. The conversation went something like

Fran: Sorry, do you have the time there please?
Stammerer: Itā€™s haaaaa, itā€™s haaaaa, itā€™s haaalf twe, haaaalf tweā€¦"
Fran: Half tweleve?

I then wondered was it bad manners of me to finish his sentence for him or should I have waited another 10 minutes for him to finish?

I wouldnā€™t.

I had a lisp up to the age of about 9 or 10 but I managed to overcome it. These people should be as strong willed and determined as me to overcome this.

What about people who whistle slightly when the pronounce an s? They bug me as much as lisp people.

:clap:

Typically strong willed stuff from BT.

I donā€™t know of anyone who does the whistle thing other than the guy on BBC NI and the AprĆ©s Match lad who does impressions of him.

Iā€™d be more inclined to have respect for such people in authority as having overcome this problem to get to where they are they must have some real steel in them. It is also useful for taking the piss out of them with your colleagues which is always good for work morale.

Very disappointing to see that one of the future stars of Irish football Seamus Coleman has an awful lisp :unsure:

This changes everything!!!

:lol: just saw him there on SSN, he doesnt look the sharpest tool!!

The RTE News headline report today was on ā€˜the big freezeā€™ and they gave the story to John Kilraine. It was more like John Kilwaine - learn how to speak before you appear on the telly. Fool.

He refers to RTE News as AreTE News.

This annoys me also. Some people refer to Ireland as Areland and stuff too. Christ, Iā€™m seething thinking about that.

They all pronounce R as ARE in RTE. Itā€™s a station policy thing.

I was only thinking this morning that it was ridiculous they let your one on Morning Ireland read out what it says in the papers.
Itā€™s hardly that difficult to get someone who can speak properly to do it.

Yeah - sheā€™s atrocious.

No more than that Justin lad that does the sport on the TV news. Every report has at least one mistake.