Wow just wow. Tom Waits Thread. (please ignore 1st few posts)

TW is the greatest songwriter who ever lived

1 Like

I refer you to post 24 of the Nighwatchman thread

1 Like

There’d be a bit of a lack in you if you didn’t accept Martha as one of the all time great love songs, every line is pure Poetry

1 Like

On the nickel is one of may all time favourite songs.

Some of the greatest words ever written in this song

I had to stick on Rain Dogs when I saw him mentioned. The 80s is amongst the most competitive decades for albums in my view but I probably would have it number 1.

The sheer variation in each song is brilliant. You never know quite what you’re going to get. And then his lyrics - just so original and brilliant. You laugh out loud and cry in the same song.

‘Make sure they play my theme song
I guess daisies will have to do’

2 Likes

He’s unreal. Hie influence is universal but under the mainstream radar. I know a lad in Galway who named a pub after him

1 Like

I think he’s influenced by Beefheart, which is great, but he’s most definitely his own man.

Tango Till They’re Sore off Rain Dogs. He’s leaving instructions for his funeral but his character in the song is pissed delivering them. The piano is out of sync deliberately and he is rambling but to me it sounds utterly brilliant!

1 Like

If ever there was a man worthy of the ‘Wow just wow’ thread it’s Tom.

For the day thats in it

2 Likes

‘There’s a couple of Filipino girls giggling by the church’.

Who comes up with a line like that!

Majestic
Well, things are pretty lousy for a calendar girl
The boys just dive right off the cars and splash into the street
And when they’re on a roll she pulls a razor from her boot
And a thousand pigeons fall around her feet
So put a candle in the window and a kiss upon his lips
As the dish outside the window fills with rain
Just like a stranger with the weeds in your heart
And pay the fiddler off 'til I come back again

1 Like

What a tune.

A ballad from Rain Dogs.

To go with all sorts of other stuff, wooden legs, Puerto Rican mistresses, going to Harlem with a pistol in your jeans, getting all liquored up on roadhouse corn, dealing Jack’s or better on a blanket by the stairs.

Any idea at all what the fcuk he is on about there?

How much more appreciative of life you become the closer the Angel of death starts appearing on the horizon

Ah Jesus.

From the same album, one of the best / saddest Christmas songs.

2 Likes

“Wait for Tom”. Tom’s Tavern

Tremendously evocative song this…

It surely is…Freddie White did a great version back in the day. A staple of his live set.

2 Likes