Ye Olde FA Cup 2021

United played PĂ©csi MFC in the 1st round of their glorious triumph in the Cup Winners Cup.

A big problem with the FA Cup now is most EPL and Championship sides look on the earlier rounds as a weekend off and field largely reserve sides. The reserves for the bigger clubs are invariably good enough to survive and they’ll start wheeling out the big guns from around the quarter final. Spurs then breaking 8th win in 1991 took 120 years to amass. Since the 1993 renewal that you mentioned in the first season of the EPL, Woolwich alone have won it 8 times and themselves Man U and Chelsea have won it 20 out of 26 times. The utter predictability of it all is quite a contrast from the glory days of the competition post war through to the early 90’s. In the 13 seasons from 1966 to 1978 alone, 13 different clubs won it.

w.r.t. the third round and reserve sides , after the christmas schedule you can understand that tho why managers may use it as a rest opportunity
Rafael Benitez’s interview post Blackburn was incredibly defeatest yesterday - he didnt mention how the late equaliser "got them out of jail " for want of equivilant phrase but instead bemoaned the fact that they have another game against what seems to be an incredibly difficult and physically imposing opposition- Blackburn fairly battered Newcastle yesterday with Tony Mowbray loving it on the line ( i guess his links to Ayreseome Park have not left him)

Huddersfield and Cardiff had two rotten games yesterday - and i dont agree with the Upson’s point that a win would give them a bounce, Wigan 2013 a case in point

2 Likes

Commentators eye :clap:

Blackburn were only really physical on set pieces trying to rough up the rookie in goal for Newcastle. Other than that they were the side trying to control the ball and win the game until they scored and then Mowbray shat himself with his subs to bring Newcastle back into it along with the introduction of Shelvey and Perez

All I saw now was the highlights package and that was what I took from it really.

Your general point is correct in fairness. I don’t mind the relegation threatened teams putting out weakened sides but the likes of Eddie Howe basically just forfeits the game every year with his team selection even though they are safe in the league. Think West Ham could have a good run this season

I’m assuming former sligo, shamrock rovers and Pacios de Ferreria striker padraig almond will lead the line for Newport in today’s big TV game

Do you think that is his call though or club directive?
That was a strange one paying 19 million for solanke and then announcing he was injured and thwe medical picked it up

Yes
Arnautovic was seething when he was hauled off early yesterday also. I like that guy. Proper player who gives it all

Some of the away support yesterday looking menacing barnsley at Burnley and Birmingham also. Hardcore stuff

The scenes at the away ends for the injury time winners for pompey and Wimbledon are what it’s all about tho
 Great to see and refreshing

The away end is the proper fans in British football

Anthony Forde - ex Ballingarry AFC and Ireland under age international - starts for Rotherham at the Etihad today.

2 Likes

The highlights reel of burnley barnsley was as poor as an offering from bray and derry you’d see on eircom league weekly.
What has happened to Jeff hendrick at all?
All the paddies are out of favour now at turf Moor. Ward started yesterday and was taken off. Hendrick looked anonymous. Keith long is horrific also.
He has 3 great keepers there in hart Heaton and pope. I like Chria wood and Barnes also. Proper lower premier / championship type brutality

Going to get some battering I’d say, very strong side out for City

Barnsley v Burnley has a real war of the roses feel about it .

Kieran sadlier on bench for Doncaster who are 1 up at graham burke’s preston

Sean “seani” maguire on the bench

1 Like

by 1990 clubs were back in Europe ( was manchester united’s first game against Bamik Ostrava or am i confusing with villa?)

@mickee321 It was Villa. Was such a big deal back then I tuned into Radio 5 Live for it. Can’t remember the result

Nice to see thoroughly alright sort Podrick Ahmond doing well for Newport County here.

Aaaaaaaaamonnnnnnnnddddd!!!

1 Like