Ye Olde League Cup Thread

RTE showed this game live on Sports Stadium, not long after the 9-0 at Anfield.

A Palace defender scores one of the best own goals you’ll ever see within the first 10 seconds of the clip. Paolo Di Canio-esque in its execution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y693s_bbQX4

1 Like

@Sidney

I don’t know what the biggest aggregate margin in League Cup history is, pal, but I’d imagine Manchester City are well on course for it.

Semis have been two legs for as long as I can remember, which goes back to Liverpool playing Southampton and the legendary Tottenham-Arsenal tie in 1987, which went to three games. Nick Hornby’s Fever Pitch has a great section about that tie. It was effectively the birth of the Arsenal team that went on to win two league titles in '89 and '91 and I’d suggest that North London derbies never got better than those games.

Yeah, I remember Frankie Bunn alright. That was the same season Oldham got to the League Cup final and made the FA Cup semi-finals against Manchester United. A good little team in their day.

1 Like

thanks Sid
semis have always been two legs but up till a certain time all the rounds were two legged affairs im pretty sure
The earliest final i can remember is the 1988 final when Luton beat Arsenal , i think on the same day Tipperary won the national hurling league beating Offaly in the final
Forest, Oldham and Luton were great Littlewoods Cup teams - Forest also excelled at the SimodCup and all 3 were excellent at the latter stages of the FA cup from 1987-1991

what a clamping
the football league or the Littlewoods Cup was never shown on sportsnight with Steve Ryder or Des Lynam .
afaik.

Midweek Sports Special on HTV Wales was where it was at for Littlewoods Cup and Nicky Piper fights. (they used to show Schweppes/SWALEC Cup action on Saturdays also)
Midweek First Division games in the old Footbaal League were few and far between, that combined with the absence of English clubs from Europe from 85-90/91 saw a very big interest in Midweek Cup competitions and also epic FA Cup replays that took place on the wednesday at 745 pm after the initial tie was played on the saturday at 3pm

1 Like

Nicky Piper fights. :clap: :laughing:

I think they would have been up to the end of the 87/88 season. The 1987 Littlewoods Cup final was shown live on BBC, not ITV. BBC and ITV shared rights to all three main domestic competitions up to this point.

Strangely, I’m pretty sure there were no regular Saturday night Match of the Day highlights programmes during the 86/87 or 87/88 seasons. There may have been on FA Cup weekends but not for league weekends.

When ITV had exclusive Football League rights between 1988 and 1992, there was no Saturday highlights programme either, at least not in this part of the world. You’d have to wait until half-time in the Sunday live match (if there was one) to see all the Saturday goals. There were Saturday highlights in England however which I think were done on a regional basis. I was in London on the opening day of the 89/90 season and that night watched highlights of Manchester United beating Arsenal 4-1 on the London version of ITV - it was the game where Michael Knighton, who it had just been announced was buying the club, did 100 keepie uppies with his head before the start. Knighton buying Manchester United fell through soon afterwards.

There were Saturday night Match of the Day programmes for the FA Cup in the 1989-92 inclusive period and then Match of the Day returned properly when the FA Premier League came into being.

1 Like

Chelsea XI : Kepa; Azpilicueta, Luiz, RĂŒdiger, Emerson; KantĂ©, Jorginho, Barkley; Pedro, Giroud, Hazard.

Spurs line-up:

Gazzaniga, Aurier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen ©, Davies, Dier, Winks, Sissoko, Eriksen, Lamela, Llorente.

#CarabaoCup #Semifinal

Poor old giroud making runs but getting no passes, he looks a bit of a donkey tbh

Hes a beautiful looking donkey though.

Atkinson has done well to get to the half without a handful of yellows

He’s allowed Spurs free reign to kick anything that moves without sanction.

Barkley is another utter donkey.

Ironically a Chelsea player is the first player booked.

Unbelievable and then Sarri is booked.

Atkinson is the Spurs MOTM.

Won’t give a spud a yellow but like confetti for the opposition

Kante lucky not to walk for that.

How so? He got the ball after he was fouled himself.

Poor example on the sideline filtering down to the players

This is getting pwopa nawty bruv

chelsea diving like mo salah now