Zlatan - a thread for the former non believers to apologise

Sigh

2 Likes

Alright hon?

Does it again.

Heā€™s a shadow of the player that was in Serie A and heā€™s still steamrolling English football.

1 Like

He is doing it in European footballā€™s equivalent of the Christy Ring Cup. Inter sold him and they won the CL , ditto Barca and now PSG are looking really good sans Zlatan . A good player but not a man for serious teams .

The highest scorer in English football.

The greatest centre forward of the 21st century

1 Like

Heā€™s won this game on his own.

1 Like

I was a doubter but Iā€™m firmly a believer now. Unreal. All hail Zatlan.

1 Like

Pure Partridge from Tyler there.

Heā€™s came and said ā€œI am the man and I am going to show you game in and game out I am the manā€

2 Likes

30th trophy of Zlatanā€™s career across 7 clubs in 5 different countries.

A colossus of the game.

World class.

1 Like

Post up the Zlatan record in World Cups and European Championships for Sweden and his record in European Cup finals for all those elite clubs heā€™s played for. I know from the standards that you apply to Messi, thatā€™s the only criteria you apply for measuring true greatness.

1 Like

As Maradona put it:

ā€œAre you Argentinian or Swedish?ā€

Zlatan is one of the top scorers of all time in the European Championships, unfortunately he doesnā€™t play for one of the traditional big European teams.

The fact that Sweden qualified for 6 major tournaments in his career and he is Swedenā€™s all time top scorer speak volumes of his quality and relative success at international level.

Less of the poor mouth. Sweden are four times World Cup semi finalists and got to the World Cup Final in 1958. They were European Championship semi finalists in 1992 as well. Zlatan has never been capable of inspiring his country to such heights though.

2 Likes

Sweden have only qualified for the European Championships on 6 occasions, 4 of them were in Zlatanā€™s international career.

In his two appearances in the World Cup they made it out of their group, something they failed to do in 3 of their last 5 appearances in the World Cup pre Zlatan.

Sweden are not one of the traditional big teams of European football.

They would rank behind the likes of Italy, Spain, Germany, France, England, Russia, Denmark, Greece, Hungary and Holland.

Iā€™m amazed a self-proclaimed historian like yourself would be so unaware of this.

Iā€™m open to correction here but of the nations you have cited there, I make World Cup semi final appearances as follows:

13 Germany
8 Italy
5 France, Netherlands
4 Sweden
3 Hungary
2 Spain & England
1 Soviet Union (Russia)
0 Denmark, Greece

Sweden in 1994 were only the third European nation to appear in a fourth World Cup semi final. France and Netherlands would subsequently emulate that feat and then both move onto 5. Sweden are historically one of the great European footballing nations at the World Cup, a tradition that Zlatan has done nothing to embellish.

For comparative purposes, Argentina going into the 2014 World Cup had only ever made it to the last 4 of the World Cup on 4 occasions, the same number of times as Sweden. The Player of the 2014 World Cup, Lionel Messi, whose international record you persistently slight, spearheaded an Argentina side into the last 4 of the World Cup for the first time in 24 years and then all the way to the final.

You turn a blind eye to Swedenā€™s underwhelming performances at major championship finals with Zlatan as the spearhead, notwithstanding Swedenā€™s great history and pedigree.

I recall talking about this subject to a few Swedes a few years back. They were telling me that in Sweden, the likes of Nils Leidholm and Henrik Larsson are ranked way ahead of Zlatan for what they achieved for their country at the World Cup. Zlatan is largely viewed in Sweden as a show pony.

Denmark and Greece have won major international tournaments, Sweden have not.

Argentina have won 2 World Cups and 7 Copa Americas.

Only Italy, West Germany/Germany and Brazil have won the World Cup more.

Argentina are traditionally the 4th biggest country in world football, Sweden donā€™t feature in the top 20.

I believe in Zlatan.

Denmark and Greece had little or no international pedigree before the Euros of 1992 and 2004. The likes of Brian Laudrup and Angelos Charisteas (in a tournament Zlatan also featured in) were able to grasp the opportunity and propel their unheralded Nations to glory.

Denmark and Greece have won major international tournaments - that is pedigree.

Sweden have not.

Youā€™ve already replied 3 times to @GeoffreyBoycott in this particular topic.

Have you considered replying to other people in the discussion, too? A great discussion involves many voices and perspectives.

If youā€™d like to continue your conversation with this particular user at length, send them a personal message.