125 Years of the GAA

Ringy is a brilliant documentary,anyone got the clip where he says “they’ll have to stop talking about me now”?

GAA tree planting for Stormont

The tree will be planted at Stormont near the statue of Sir Edward Carson
The 125th anniversary of the GAA is to be marked with the planting of a tree at Stormont, close to the statue of the unionist Sir Edward Carson.

A mature ash tree will be planted on 12 November during a ceremony attended by GAA President Christy Cooney.

There are also plans to plant 1,000 ash saplings on the Stormont estate.

Ash was chosen because it is used to make hurling sticks, and every Gaelic club in Ulster is being asked to buy five saplings at a cost of 25.

Each tree is expected to produce enough ash to manufacture 25 hurls, representing 125 hurls for every club.

Sinn Fein assembly member Barry McElduff said Sir Edward Carson may be a symbol of unionism, but he played hurling for Trinity College Dublin.

Celebrations

He said the tree-planting was a “helpful” move towards making Stormont a more welcoming place for nationalists and republicans.

"The symbols and emblems throughout the Stormont estate tend to be solely unionist and British in their origin - for example I would drive up the Prince of Wales Avenue, past the Carson and Craigavon statue to get to my office.

"Culture and heritage belong to everyone and as we move forward, people are increasingly curious about each other’s cultures.

“The GAA has been making huge efforts to reach out to non-traditional areas.”

A series of celebrations have been held this year to mark the founding of the GAA in on 1 November 1884.

The organisation was founded amid a resurgence in Irish language and culture in the late 19th century.

That’s great to see.

:clap:

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]That’s great to see.

:clap:[/quote]

Certainly changed times up there. Bit by bit god willing.

Unbelievable when you think of it.

suppose here is as good a place as any…

anyone see the top 50 goals in the hurling and football? some great scores. cant argue with JBM’s top goal to be honest, or Fenton at no.2. could maybe chop and change a few here and there, but not a whole lot in it.

football ones were a bit average. as good a goal as the Foley one was, I still think a goal with the skill of Zac Tuohys or Karl Mannions are better.

[quote=“Gman”]suppose here is as good a place as any…

anyone see the top 50 goals in the hurling and football? some great scores. cant argue with JBM’s top goal to be honest, or Fenton at no.2. could maybe chop and change a few here and there, but not a whole lot in it.

football ones were a bit average. as good a goal as the Foley one was, I still think a goal with the skill of Zac Tuohys or Karl Mannions are better.[/quote]

I threw the list of the hurling ones up here Gman
http://thefreekick.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=17933

Didn’t know there was a football one on though. Surely be repeated over and over I’d say.

football ones were a bit average. as good a goal as the Foley one was, I still think a goal with the skill of Zac Tuohys or Karl Mannions are better.[/quote]

Missed all this.

Fenton’s should have won the hurling I would have thought.

Karol Mannion was in the football - in fairness to him he has scorer some screamers in his time. Did Jack O’Shea’s goal against Offaly I think in 1980 not figure?

I tried to steer clear of finding out who was top of the hurling ive only watched it as far as the 24th goal so far,the hurling goals are much better entertainment than the football,where did DJs off the bar v Antrim come?,naming Kevin Foleys tap in #1 in the football was a joke,also there wasnt eneogh representation from the 60s,70s and 80s but then i suppose tg4 itself is only on the go since the mid 90s so its hard to give out to them,fair play to them for Yesterday,i have most of the programmes taped for watching over the next Week or so.

Deccie Meehan scored an unbelievable goal for Galway against Kerry in this decade - pretty sure it was in a quarter final and I am thinking 2002.

first minute of the AI replay in 2000

Yep - that is it.

I assume Mulligans goal against Dublin was in the Top 3?

think it was about 5. Canavans against Kerry in the final was there as well. Eamon O haras good goal against Galway was far too highly rated too, as was some monaghan young one who scored a goal for a INTO mini 7s game or something. presume it was that as it was on in croke park. Seamus Darby was no 2

:eek:
A historic goal, but not by an arses roar the 2nd best goal ever. Jesus thats amazing.

Was this voted on or just compiled lads?

Seriously? FFS. They should have included Limericks goal in the 98 Minor Munster final against Kerry, granted it wasn’t given but it was a great goal.

TG4 throw in all sorts of shite because they covered the games in question. Where was Zach’s goal out of curiousity, to this day I think he just swung a leg at it, but shur it still hit home I guess. Ciaran McManus would have had one in there too I’d say, v Laois in 03.

hey pikeman ye cunt, where did you get that hurling listing? or did ya do it up yourself?

Zac was no.11 or so. as I said, some young wan from monaghan was ahead of him, so says it all really about TG4.

from recollection, Foley, Darby, Canavan, O Shea, Mulligan were the top 5. McManus against Laois was up there too in top 10. some shite aul goal by a Kerry lad in the 70’s was up there too. Joe Kavanaghs against Meath in 99 as well. Ciaran Whelan against Armagh. Karl Mannions goal against Corofin should have been higher than it was. our own Ciaran Lyng was 23 or so against Tyrone. Maurice Fitz v Armagh in 02 was top 10.

[quote=“Gman”]hey pikeman ye cunt, where did you get that hurling listing? or did ya do it up yourself?

Zac was no.11 or so. as I said, some young wan from monaghan was ahead of him, so says it all really about TG4.

from recollection, Foley, Darby, Canavan, O Shea, Mulligan were the top 5. McManus against Laois was up there too in top 10. some shite aul goal by a Kerry lad in the 70’s was up there too. Joe Kavanaghs against Meath in 99 as well. Ciaran Whelan against Armagh. Karl Mannions goal against Corofin should have been higher than it was. our own Ciaran Lyng was 23 or so against Tyrone. Maurice Fitz v Armagh in 02 was top 10.[/quote]

Yeah, did it as it was going along.
Did Fitzhenry’s goal from the 80’s make the football list? Won goal of the year

[quote=“Pikeman”]Yeah, did it as it was going along.
Did Fitzhenry’s goal from the 80’s make the football list? Won goal of the year[/quote]

I only saw from about 25 onwards.