2010 Summer Transfer Window

Shay Given could be on his way to Fulham on loan… :o

I believe I brought this to the forum’s attention the other day, presume Schwartzer is on his way to Arsenal

I see Hatem Ben Arfa has joined Newcastle on a season long loan deal

He mightnt make the team there either,this Stockdale lad is going fierce well for them and is going to be on the England squad shortly according to Gary Lineker and his buddies on MOTD.

Eidur Gudjohnson joining Stoke on loan from Monaco

Time is running out folks, the deadline is approaching, Andy is getting his phones prepared. Can you FEEL IT!!!

Spurs are being linked with every striker out there, from Luis Fabiano, Gio Rossi and Huntelaaaaaaaaaaar.

Man Yoo are rumoured to be offering 10M and Michael Carrick for Jack Rodwell. I’d say SAF will have to try again on that one.

Liverpool are rumoured to want, Carlton Cole. :lol:

Carricks card was marked after his display in the Bayern 2nd leg. He will be gone soon enough.

Diary of a Pro Footballer: Trapped Behind The Transfer Window
By Rohan Ricketts

Discover the ugly truth about the beautiful game by a player who’s seen both sides. This week, he reveals what it’s like to be trapped behind the transfer window.

The ugly game
For most of the public, 31st August is just the marking of the end of the month. But in the life of a professional football player this time marks a whole different reality, filled with both suspense and hope.

With the summer transfer window about to close, I know there will be many players sitting at home wondering if they will be sold against their wishes or will they be forced to stay at a club. The worst part about the whole process is that its out of your control. In some ways you can say you are a slave to industry.

I can tell you personally, the closing of the transfer window may be entertaining to the fans who watch on, but its a time where players and their families are not guaranteed stability. Questions arise such as, will we have to send the kids to a new school AGAIN?! Do we have to sell our house AGAIN?! Daddy, why do we keep moving?!

Just imagine going into training this week not knowing if the manager is trying to flog you behind your back. But when you get home after training you turn on Sky Sports News to see some random broadcaster who you have never met, telling the world where your future may lie in the coming weeks. Total madness!! But hey, they said its the best job in the world, so you just keep your chin high and keep rolling.

I remember one time in particular, I was playing for Spurs at the time. Glenn Hoddle had just been sacked, which ended my regular role in the side. He had rang me up to let me know that David Pleat, who was caretaker manager at the time, will make it a very hostile environment, as he was not very fond of me. For reasons that we never really knew. As time passed I began to see what Glenn had warned me about. I had gone from a regular in the side, England U21 call up and a phone call from Sven Goran Eriksson to congratulate me on my progress, to someone who was not on the bench all based on what???

You turn on Sky Sports News to see some random broadcaster who you have never met, telling the world where your future may lie in the coming weeks.

Many said it was because he had spent a £1 million on Jonathan Blondel and he wanted to justify his signing. While Paul Kemsley signed me for nothing and I was JUSTIFYING my worth. It was a real frustrating period. It got even worse when Pleaty, suggested that I was not going to get games under him, so I should go out on loan.

I said to myself, OK let me speak to my agent Eric Walters (who is the most genuine agent I have met and I have met a ton ). Eric then sourced a club who wanted me on loan, which was Reading at the time. It was 1pm on transfer deadline day and I was happy that I had an opportunity to go and get some games under my belt. Little did I know, Pleaty had other ideas, contradicting what he had originally suggested. He had told me to call him if we found a club, so I gave him a call and you would not believe what this man said to me. He asked me why was I calling him, so I told him about the Reading interest. He then says, ” you ain’t going anywhere and how did you get my number ?”, like he was the damn Queen or something. I said, David you told me to find a club and now I’ve found one. He then says again, that I ain’t going nowhere and proceeds to hang up the phone. Cheek!!

That was a moment which really made me aware that the football business was as ruthless, if not more, than the dealings that happen on street corners everyday. It made me more thick skinned for other situations which were now inevitably visible. That’s just the very tip of the iceberg.

You can also find yourself used by the kind of ruthless agents who have now flooded football. I have seen agents love me and coveted my signature to guys who have not picked up the phone when you need REAL help finding a club. Anyone can move David Beckham or a Jermain Defoe, but its going to take a real grafter to find a deal for someone who’s CV is quiet bare but yet still he has potential. Don’t get me wrong, there are some good agents (decent human beings) out there. They know who they are. But for the majority, they are just out to get a buck at whatever the cost. Not giving a flying toss about morals or value of others.

That was a moment which really made me aware that the football business was as ruthless, if not more, than the dealings that happen on street corners everyday.

I have been privileged enough to travel and play in different parts of the world. Some real unfamiliar parts, like Moldova where I am now. Throughout my journey I have seen many players who have had their careers dictated by the actions of a agent. Some result in a positive outcome and negative for others. I believe that for an agent/player relationship to be of any substance, the agent must have an emotional attachment to you or your goals. If he does not he will not go to war for you or should I say with you.

All the above are just a small insight into some of the emotions and scenarios which happen during the transfer window. It’s not as smooth sailing as some may think. Throughout all of these unsettling scenarios which can arise, MONEY or the prospects of attaining money, becomes the psychological cushion. The finances acquired can allow the player to create a lifestyle which can momentarily provide a escape from all the noise. I hope this has given you a deeper sense of understanding of the game, let me rephrase that, the ‘business’ called football. As I have been saying for a while now… there is not much football in football anymore.

Ah lovely 'Arry…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJBsI7RAuvk
eature=youtu.be

The YouTube Hero has signed for Milan, confirmed

AC Milan have signed Zlatan Ibrahimovic from Barcelona on a season-long loan with the option of making the deal permanent next summer.
The 28-year-old forward experienced a turbulent year with the Catalan giants as he failed to settle at the Camp Nou despite a return of 21 goals last season.

La Gazzetta dello Sport reported that the former Inter Milan striker passed a medical, but Rossoneri chief Adriano Galliani was unable to register the striker in time for Sunday’s clash with Lecce, which Milan won 4-0.

“The fans were fantastic with me, I felt welcome,” said Ibrahimovic. “I really wanted to play last night (Sunday) but Galliani told me I could not because there was no time for registration.”

The Serie A club have the option of permanently signing the 6ft 5″ forward for a fee of €24 million in the summer of 2011. Milan confirmed the deal in a statement: “We have agreed a deal for a season’s loan and then the right to buy.”

A Barcelona read: “The deal was done thanks to the collaboration of the player and willingness of his agent.”

Last day of the transfer window. This is the day SSN lives for. Get ready folks its gonna be a big one.

What deals are we expecting? Shay Given will another huge lack of ambition by staying at City. Robbie to move to a side wearing claret and blue, any other goings on of note?

Robinho will end up at Milan where they will play the most attacking line up in the history of football and expect Pirlo and Seedorff to defend and win ball?

Morientes has retired today btw.

Can definitely see Redknapp make a signing or two.

Spurs rumoured to be pushing hard for Adebayor.

Kevin Davis to West Ham. You heard it here first*

*after I read it off the BBC football website

Bayern’s, Mario Gomez, to Liverpool on loan possibly.

Eidur Gudjohnsen set to change his mind and join Fulham now.
Robinho lined up to join Milan on a one year loan and a possibility to buy at the end.

Hleb to Birmingham
Bent to Wolves

Marcus Bent is it?

Gyan to Sunderland for 12m. Am I the only one that thinks Steve Bruce is a shite manager? Linked with the Villa job and I can’t for the life of me see what he keeps doing to keep climbing the managerial ladder.