2013 RTÉ Sports Awards

You really have to laugh a kevs stories at this stage. He really mugged himself off good and proper here. Trying to maintain tony mccoy is used to a party lifestyle like ozzy osbourne or someone when mccoys idea of a good day out is a game of golf and a glass of orange juice

I’m still not.

I find it very strange that Seamus Coleman is up to sportsperson of the year for 2014. He has been very poor for Ireland in our only two competitive fixtures of consequence.

[QUOTE=“Raymond Crotty, post: 1060198, member: 25”]I find it very strange that Seamus Coleman is up to sportsperson of the year for 2014. He has been very poor for Ireland in our only two competitive fixtures of consequence.
[/QUOTE]
Bayan has this in the bag mate

He’s been probably the best player in his position in one of the leading leagues in the world’s most popular sport. Unquestionably one of the leading Irish sports people of the year.

He’s been shit this season. Diego Costa made him his bitch and he hasn’t recovered from it.

Calendar year mate.

Hence why I said season. 6 months does not a year make. Also he’s been disappointing for his country in 2014.

Also Pablo Zabaletta is the best right back in the BPL for the past 5 seasons in any discerning watchers eye.

Been fairly decent any time I’ve seen him other than the Chelsea game this season, injuries notwithstanding. Not sure why you’d over emphasise international performances, a small proportion of his output.

It’s the ISPOTY awards, how he plays for Ireland is relevant.

Again, he’s a long way off the quality of a Pablo Zabaleta. What games did you see him play this season?

If that’s the criteria and no recognition is given for international performances then there’s a he’s of players who should have been nominated.

Probably because it’s more important for the Irish awards. Competitive internationals are few and far between (particularly for Coleman) and he hasn’t just been average he has been shit

[QUOTE=“myboyblue, post: 1060271, member: 180”]It’s the ISPOTY awards, how he plays for Ireland is relevant.

Again, he’s a long way off the quality of a Pablo Zabaleta. What games did you see him play this season?[/QUOTE]
Of course it’s relevant, just not to the extent of ignoring the vast majority of the games that he plays for his club. Seriously doubt you’d be ignoring the performances of Irish rugby players for their ‘clubs’.

Saw him against Arsenal at the start of the season and QPR last week. He was injured for the United game and can’t remember seeing any other Everton games in full but would have seen highlights. He’s missed a few games with injury too.

I never said no recognition. An appropriate balance of recognition. You implied no recognition for club performances with your post. This isn’t the FAI awards for international performances only. It’s about rewarding excellence in Irish sports people.

[QUOTE=“braz83, post: 1060285, member: 390”]Of course it’s relevant, just not to the extent of ignoring the vast majority of the games that he plays for his club. Seriously doubt you’d be ignoring the performances of Irish rugby players for their ‘clubs’.

Saw him against Arsenal at the start of the season and QPR last week. He was injured for the United game and can’t remember seeing any other Everton games in full but would have seen highlights. He’s missed a few games with injury too.[/QUOTE]

He’s been below par in an under-performing Everton team on the three or four occasions I’ve seen him play for them this season. He’s been worse than shit for Ireland. It seems a bizarre nomination to me.

[QUOTE=“braz83, post: 1060285, member: 390”]Of course it’s relevant, just not to the extent of ignoring the vast majority of the games that he plays for his club. Seriously doubt you’d be ignoring the performances of Irish rugby players for their ‘clubs’.

Saw him against Arsenal at the start of the season and QPR last week. He was injured for the United game and can’t remember seeing any other Everton games in full but would have seen highlights. He’s missed a few games with injury too.[/QUOTE]
He was average at best against QPR. However maybe that performance against Arsenal was enough to sway you and the voters.

He was consistently excellent in the second half of last season. Can someone name an Irish player in one of the leading leagues that played at as high a level as him during 2014?

Both how he played against QPR and Scotland should matter. More consideration should be give to the latter though imo.

How is this relevant?

I actually agree with that, but Ireland effectively played three matches of note this year and he missed one of them through injury. So putting more weight on those two matches collectively than his entire year with his club seems like an over-emphasis. He had a period of sustained high level performances at the start of 2014 (a period that unfortunately didn’t coincide with any Ireland matches), to the extent that he was named in most teams of the year in one of Europe’s leading leagues. I don’t think there were many Irish sports people operating at that level in 2014, so I find the incredulity here at his nomination to be a bit strange.