2015 All Ireland Football Championship - FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAKE IT STOP

Firstly, I didn’t bring the bookies into it. I said that Roscommon have been strongly tipped by a lot of people, particularly pundits, this year. I said that if they have serious ambitions they should be getting to a last 8 this year. Yer man took great offence at my summation of Roscommon as a team. He then muddied himself in the waters of an illusion that it was me imagining the hype and then trying to justify it himself.

I’ve explained my rationale and despite it being wholly grounded in fact, it has been dismissed by those here for far fetched subjective nonsense with a lad shitting on about bookies and how I don’t understand them when he doesn’t himself.

I don’t want to have to re emphasise the reasons I said what I did. I’ve backed it up and he’s ended up getting stuck between two contradicting arguments. Your desperation for a poster who can tame me grows by the minute.

nembo kid destroying the gahliban here

it reminds me a lot of days past when the great totti would clamp people left right and centre through reasoned points backed by facts

[QUOTE=“Nembo Kid, post: 1143670, member: 2514”]Firstly, I didn’t bring the bookies into it. I said that Roscommon have been strongly tipped by a lot of people, particularly pundits, this year. I said that if they have serious ambitions they should be getting to a last 8 this year. Yer man took great offence at my summation of Roscommon as a team. He then muddied himself in the waters of an illusion that it was me imagining the hype and then trying to justify it himself.

I’ve explained my rationale and despite it being wholly grounded in fact, it has been dismissed by those here for far fetched subjective nonsense with a lad shitting on about bookies and how I don’t understand them when he doesn’t himself.

I don’t want to have to re emphasise the reasons I said what I did. I’ve backed it up and he’s ended up getting stuck between two contradicting arguments. Your desperation for a poster who can tame me grows by the minute.[/QUOTE]

yeah, you’ve backed up well why a team “ranked highly by pundits” despite no evidence of such, being considered around 10th best are overhyped, despite you thinking they will be in the last 12. Sound logic alright mate.

by the by, you’ll never be tamed, if there is one thing for sure, you are as stubborn as they come and will not be for budging. I just find it highly amusing.

fascinating discussion here, have really enjoyed reading it.

[QUOTE=“Gman, post: 1143676, member: 112”]yeah, you’ve backed up well why a team “ranked highly by pundits” despite no evidence of such, being considered around 10th best are overhyped, despite you thinking they will be in the last 12. Sound logic alright mate.

by the by, you’ll never be tamed, if there is one thing for sure, you are as stubborn as they come and will not be for budging. I just find it highly amusing.[/QUOTE]

I gave an opinion based on the prevailing theme in recent weeks that Roscommom are a team to watch out for this year and a lot of pundits tipping them to make the breakthrough. You can deny it’s happening if you wish, but that would be an unenlightened opinion. Roscommon are being talked along the lines of teams they don’t deserve to be this year. I voiced that opinion, I presented it with facts and fair comments and the reaction has been hypersensitive.

It’s a fair comment to say I’ll take a very cynical view on the bluster currently surrounding Roscommon until they actually go and do it. You can continue getting your knickers in a twist, be my guest.

Historic picture of Galway manager Kevin Walsh this afternoon wandering around in the background of what seems to be a tea party:
[ATTACH=full]2888[/ATTACH]

[QUOTE=“Nembo Kid, post: 1143682, member: 2514”]I gave an opinion based on the prevailing theme in recent weeks that Roscommom are a team to watch out for this year and a lot of pundits tipping them to make the breakthrough. You can deny it’s happening if you wish, but that would be an unenlightened opinion. Roscommon are being talked along the lines of teams they don’t deserve to be this year. I voiced that opinion, I presented it with facts and fair comments and the reaction has been hypersensitive.

It’s a fair comment to say I’ll take a very cynical view on the bluster currently surrounding Roscommon until they actually go and do it. You can continue getting your knickers in a twist, be my guest.[/QUOTE]

I’m good buddy, I havent been the one writing essays about it all. As I say, I find your argument amusing, seeing as you contradict yourself in your assessment of them being overhyped and where you think they will finish.

You don’t seem good, you’ve waded in here to protect yer man plenty of times, seemingly from a neutral corner. You seem perturbed by the succinct nature I’ve handled matters in.

I haven’t contradicted myself, the draw is lopsided. I hate having to keep repeating myself but if Roscommon have ambitions of becoming the county the pundits and their own management team talk about then they need to be getting to the last 8 this year.

For some reason, unknown to me, that seems to have really irked you.

[QUOTE=“Nembo Kid, post: 1143693, member: 2514”]You don’t seem good, you’ve waded in here to protect yer man plenty of times, seemingly from a neutral corner. You seem perturbed by the succinct nature I’ve handled matters in.

I haven’t contradicted myself, the draw is lopsided. I hate having to keep repeating myself but if Roscommon have ambitions of becoming the county the pundits and their own management team talk about then they need to be getting to the last 8 this year.

For some reason, unknown to me, that seems to have really irked you.[/QUOTE]

:slight_smile:

I’m not posting like a man who feels irked mate. You might have a check on your own posts there and how annoyed you are with Roscommons rankings. Anyway, as this “debate” will only end one way, and I really, really dont have the longevity you do to argue the same thing over and over, I concede defeat to you. Best of luck to your crusade against the pundits claiming Roscommon to be a top 10 ranked side, I wish you well.

[QUOTE=“Gman, post: 1143698, member: 112”]:slight_smile:

I’m not posting like a man who feels irked mate. You might have a check on your own posts there and how annoyed you are with Roscommons rankings. Anyway, as this “debate” will only end one way, and I really, really dont have the longevity you do to argue the same thing over and over, I concede defeat to you. Best of luck to your crusade against the pundits claiming Roscommon to be a top 10 ranked side, I wish you well.[/QUOTE]

You seem to be posting like a man that’s irked. I generally don’t bother getting involved in matters that I am nonplussed about. You keep continuing to wade in. Smiley faces won’t wash either, I guess you’re not irked in the same manner as @Mac has no interest in rugby football.

I’ve no interest in rugby in the same way that you’re not @Il Bomber Destro

[QUOTE=“Nembo Kid, post: 1143440, member: 2514”]You’re quite clearly a sensitive soul and still haven’t bothered to actually challenge what I said.

I said Roscommon are not worth the hype that goes along with them. Clearly this offended you and you believe otherwise as you have engaged on a long winded debate on the very subject. I’m referring to Championship football here, they haven’t beaten anyone of note in 8 years of Championship? So I think it’s a fair comment to say that they shouldn’t be ranked on the level they are until they actually do something substantive in the Championship? Would you not agree? Please actually answer this rather than starts shitting on about Hastings Cups, div 4, college medals and the like. What have Roscommon done in Championship football in the last 8 years bar win a soft Connacht title.

With regard to pre-match odds, this a truly bizarre point from yourself. I understand perfectly how they work, I just said they were badly off and the results showed - Roscommon 8/11 - Armagh 11/8. Armagh cruised to victory as they are a much better side, the bookies severely underrated Armagh and overrated Roscommon - which ties in perfectly with what I said they were overhyped, hence the odds. You’re making a fool out of yourself on this issue now. The odds reflected that Roscommon were a much better team than both Armagh and the Tyrone u21s and the opposite turned to be true. I don’t think it was a once off either, I’ve seen Roscommon a few times over the past few years and they’ve been very disappointing on all occasions.

I don’t know what you are talking about Sligo’s odds for, another quite bizarre point. The bottom line is they are a poor side, forget about their odds - could you actually see Sligo running a big side close? You might actually answer these questions as well. I’ll repeat again, if Roscommon have any serious ambitions they will be disposing of Sligo without much bother.

College medals are a load of shite. This discussion has been had on here before.

There is definitely a divide in the media reporting of the GAA and it’s the Southern media who can’t wait to stick the boot into Ulster teams, write us off and blame us for the ills of the game. That’s just the way it is, it’s not objective reporting. It’s all these big, bad, dirty, cheating, cynical nordie thugs come down and rough up our little angels, they don’t report things objectively so fuck them. That arsehole Ciaran Whelan is a disgrace and I hope Dublin get fucked out by an Ulster teams just to see his face.

You are new here, so I’ll give you some more advice. Try and actually settle on one argument as jumping from pillar to post doesn’t do you much credibility. Clearly you feel that my comments on Roscommon are unfair and they have upset you. I have merely given an opinion on them which is they are overhyped and if they are to be taken seriously they will have to make an All Ireland qf this year, they will have to beat someone big. Now you have taken issue with this so you quite clearly feel they are a good team and they deserve the plaudits coming their way. Do you?

They haven’t won a big game in Championship football, they have bombed badly in recent crunch games at all levels when they were highly fancied, that to me suggests a team that was overhyped and again it’s a fair comment. Do you disagree with that? I haven’t seen a great deal of Roscommon but I have heard a good deal about them and then when I have seen them I was very underwhelmed. They just seem don’t that good, they play quite a defensive game but don’t seem to know how to defend, there’s a mental frailty to the players given how they have got brushed aside in big games they were favoured for and counties that they are rated ahead of just seem to have a better quality of footballer. These views have annoyed you, so quit the poor mouthing of expectations and tell us you feel they are worth the hype. If you’re going to challenge me then you’ll have to do it like a man and not behind some veil of duplicity, playing the poormouth yourself and then getting stroppy when someone else writes you off.

For what it’s worth, I’d be saying the same about Cavan, Tipperary or any other “emerging” county if they were rated as highly as you. They haven’t taken a big scalp yet and deserve to be viewed with cynicism until they do make the breakthrough.[/QUOTE]

Such a long post over breakfast this morning…

I challenged you with each of my posts all you have done is repeat yourself and while you claim you don’t like repeating yourself from what i see you are like the talking parrot in the picture you posted. I have well covered all the points you have tried to make if you can’t come up with new material then the discussion is going no where.

Roscommon were promoted to Div two won the title in Croke park understandable there is talk about them now as there will be next summer whoever wins Div two. Little or no talk about Roscommon seniors before John Evans arrived other than mostly negative. 2013 Roscommon were tipped to drop back to Div 4 yet ended up finishing one point behind the two promoted sides Meath and Monaghan. 2014 Roscommon weren’t tipped for promoted but did and won the title in Croke park against Cavan who were favourites to win. This year were tipped to struggle in div two and when Roscommon only drew their first game at home to Cavan you could have got odds as long as 9/1 on promotion but over hyped for years you said.

“Southern” media you love to hate decide to have a few talks or write ups about Roscommon and you become all hot an bothered about it. I never knew little Roscommon would cause such reaction, i reckon you would be less stressed if Roscommon were a team from the North. The fact is the majority of pundits,experts will be tipping Mayo for Connacht this summer and if Roscommon end up in the qualifiers as expected and face one of your Ulster teams well few if any will be tipping Roscommon to win.

In regards to the odds I have explained the Armagh odds last summer already one further note i highly doubt Roscommon would be slight favourties if that game was played in Armagh. While you try to exaggerate Roscommon are no different than others have won or lost games as favourites or underdogs, for example Roscommon U21s were hot favourites to win the Connacht final in Tuam this year and would have won by 6 points but for a last minute goal from Galway. Last year hot favourites to beat Mayo U21s in Castlebar and Roscommon delivered their biggest win against them in decades.

Sligo seniors challenged Cork in round 4 last year a week before Cork got within one point of Mayo in the Quarter final. When it comes to championship football Sligo are the most inconsistent team around even their own supporters have called themselves a bit of enigma, they have won or got very close to winning games they were expected to lose well while lost games they were expected to win well which will make them a banana skin for Roscommon in the possible semi final.

I could count one hand the amount of times Roscommon have played defensive in the last three years and even when used it has rarely been successfully as i believe that is system that needs to be worked on for many months. The quality of footballer is probably the best its been in Roscommon for over a decade and for the first time in years have plenty of options on the bench/panel.

What i said about Roscommon is they are a young and improving side, more than half of the panel are aged between 19 to 23 who are finding their feet at senior county level they have few championship appearances amongst them and the more championships games this summer the better as it will bring them on and regardless of the results playing against the top six sides in Div one next year it will be good learning experience.

[QUOTE=“Tonymac, post: 1143886, member: 2956”]Such a long post over breakfast this morning…

I challenged you with each of my posts all you have done is repeat yourself and while you claim you don’t like repeating yourself from what i see you are like the talking parrot in the picture you posted. I have well covered all the points you have tried to make if you can’t come up with new material then the discussion is going no where.

Roscommon were promoted to Div two won the title in Croke park understandable there is talk about them now as there will be next summer whoever wins Div two. Little or no talk about Roscommon seniors before John Evans arrived other than mostly negative. 2013 Roscommon were tipped to drop back to Div 4 yet ended up finishing one point behind the two promoted sides Meath and Monaghan. 2014 Roscommon weren’t tipped for promoted but did and won the title in Croke park against Cavan who were favourites to win. This year were tipped to struggle in div two and when Roscommon only drew their first game at home to Cavan you could have got odds as long as 9/1 on promotion but over hyped for years you said.

“Southern” media you love to hate decide to have a few talks or write ups about Roscommon and you become all hot an bothered about it. I never knew little Roscommon would cause such reaction, i reckon you would be less stressed if Roscommon were a team from the North. The fact is the majority of pundits,experts will be tipping Mayo for Connacht this summer and if Roscommon end up in the qualifiers as expected and face one of your Ulster teams well few if any will be tipping Roscommon to win.

In regards to the odds I have explained the Armagh odds last summer already one further note i highly doubt Roscommon would be slight favourties if that game was played in Armagh. While you try to exaggerate Roscommon are no different than others have won or lost games as favourites or underdogs, for example Roscommon U21s were hot favourites to win the Connacht final in Tuam this year and would have won by 6 points but for a last minute goal from Galway. Last year hot favourites to beat Mayo U21s in Castlebar and Roscommon delivered their biggest win against them in decades.

Sligo seniors challenged Cork in round 4 last year a week before Cork got within one point of Mayo in the Quarter final. When it comes to championship football Sligo are the most inconsistent team around even their own supporters have called themselves a bit of enigma, they have won or got very close to winning games they were expected to lose well while lost games they were expected to win well which will make them a banana skin for Roscommon in the possible semi final.

I could count one hand the amount of times Roscommon have played defensive in the last three years and even when used it has rarely been successfully as i believe that is system that needs to be worked on for many months. The quality of footballer is probably the best its been in Roscommon for over a decade and for the first time in years have plenty of options on the bench/panel.

What i said about Roscommon is they are a young and improving side, more than half of the panel are aged between 19 to 23 who are finding their feet at senior county level they have few championship appearances amongst them and the more championships games this summer the better as it will bring them on and regardless of the results playing against the top six sides in Div one next year it will be good learning experience.[/QUOTE]

I’m not the one getting hot and bothered about Roscommon, I expressed an opinion about them and gave logical reasons for it and left it at that. You took umbrage with what I said and this discussion has been continuing since, I have said what I have had to say on Roscommon and it doesn’t need repeating again. They are fair comments and I happen to think they are very overrated and don’t deserve to be spoken in the terms they have been. Clearly you believe they do and that they a very good outfit, my comments proved hurtful to you but I have full confidence in my opinion and I believe this will be another season where Roscommon fail to land a notable victory.

Meanwhile you continue to talk out both sides of your mouth, the poormouth on one side talking about spending timesin the lower divisions, Sligo being tricky opponents, young team, yadda yadda yadda - then on the other hand you’re getting offended by remarks questioning that they may be overhyped. You either believe in them or you don’t, if you believe in them then less of the poormouth, if you don’t then I don’t see why what I said is such a big issue for you.

For what it’s worth, they were very defensive against both Mayo and Armagh last year.

[QUOTE=“Nembo Kid, post: 1143889, member: 2514”]I’m not the one getting hot and bothered about Roscommon, I expressed an opinion about them and gave logical reasons for it and left it at that. You took umbrage with what I said and this discussion has been continuing since, I have said what I have had to say on Roscommon and it doesn’t need repeating again. They are fair comments and I happen to think they are very overrated and don’t deserve to be spoken in the terms they have been. Clearly you believe they do and that they a very good outfit, my comments proved hurtful to you but I have full confidence in my opinion and I believe this will be another season where Roscommon fail to land a notable victory.

Meanwhile you continue to talk out both sides of your mouth, the poormouth on one side talking about spending timesin the lower divisions, Sligo being tricky opponents, young team, yadda yadda yadda - then on the other hand you’re getting offended by remarks questioning that they may be overhyped. You either believe in them or you don’t, if you believe in them then less of the poormouth, if you don’t then I don’t see why what I said is such a big issue for you.

For what it’s worth, they were very defensive against both Mayo and Armagh last year.[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ. It is i that has challenged your opinions all you have given in return is repeat of posts i have already replied to. I do believe Roscommon deserved to be talked about after winning Div 2 numerous underage titles etc and that talk i believe doesn’t make them overhyped and i do believe Sligo will be banana skin. All of that shouldn’t be hard to understand.

Very good outfit or good,average outfit will be known in the years ahead. As been mentioned in the local media this week Roscommon are only seen as darkhorse in the race for a provincial title, two championship wins and good competitive display against Mayo was achieved last year the target will be three wins this summer anything else will be bonus.

Played defensive against Mayo as they struggle against those tactics and that was even seen against Tyrone this spring, Galway will likely use those tactics against Mayo on June 14th. Only the first half did Roscommon play defensive against Armagh and in hindsight it was silly to use those tactics against one of the master of it. The second half when Roscommon played more on the front foot the scores were evenly shared.

[QUOTE=“Tonymac, post: 1143918, member: 2956”]I beg to differ. It is i that has challenged your opinions all you have given in return is repeat of posts i have already replied to. I do believe Roscommon deserved to be talked about after winning Div 2 numerous underage titles etc and that talk i believe doesn’t make them overhyped and i do believe Sligo will be banana skin. All of that shouldn’t be hard to understand.

Very good outfit or good,average outfit will be known in the years ahead. As been mentioned in the local media this week Roscommon are only seen as darkhorse in the race for a provincial title, two championship wins and good competitive display against Mayo was achieved last year the target will be three wins this summer anything else will be bonus.

Played defensive against Mayo as they struggle against those tactics and that was even seen against Tyrone this spring, Galway will likely use those tactics against Mayo on June 14th. Only the first half did Roscommon play defensive against Armagh and in hindsight it was silly to use those tactics against one of the master of it. The second half when Roscommon played more on the front foot the scores were evenly shared.[/QUOTE]

That’s talking out both sides of your mouth, you’re either good enough or you’re not. If Roscommon believe they are up in that level they should be comfortably getting over Sligo and they should be taking a big scalp this year.

For example in 2012 Mayo beat Sligo by two points a far from comfortable win and Mayo are much higher ranked team than Roscommon and have taken many big scalps.

Sligo were beaten by 19 points by Down in 2010
Sligo were beaten by 5 points by Wicklow in 2011
Sligo were then beaten by 9 points by Kildare in 2012
Sligo were beaten by 7 points by Derry in 2013
Sligo were beaten by 7 points by Cork in 2014

And you’re worried about them? You shouldn’t be worried about them if you have real aspirations, you simply have to be winning those games.

Is anyone else still reading these posts?

God no. I presume Tony is still clamping Nimby.

With Dick Clerkin having made his championship debut in '99, he will be embarking on his 17th campaign this weekend.

I can’t think of anyone else currently playing that can match that…is there anyone longer than Dick?