2014:
Cavan (W)
Monaghan (D)(L)
Tyrone (W)
Roscommon (W)
Meath (W)
Donegal (L)

A tradition of excellence.

The main problem with the championship is not the format, the problem is for me the county boards. If you have a good committed county board who are looking to improve the county and put everything in place to achieve that then you will have competitive team. The problem is that a lot of county boards, usually to do with weaker counties, don’t give a shit about the inter county competitions and are more interested in their own local competitions. If you take a look around at the successful teams you will see that they have a good county board behind them. For me to have competitive championship the county boards that put in the effort to improve get the funding and the ones that couldn’t give a shit dont get as much funding. That would soon make county boards more interested

The Kildare County Board have provided Jason Ryan’s senior squad with a 23-person backroom team. :clap:

http://www.raheny.gaa.ie/coaching/coaching-drills - example of what a club can simply do

it’s about getting organised, proper under age coaching and structures, keeping kids interested and then at 14 up taking the best into development squads so its a five or ten year plan really which takes time, effort, continuity, money to do properly and not look for a short term fix with an external manager

Dublin did this and sheer numbers mean they can create a panel of massive strength in depth and because of the cache of Dublin can keep most of the footballers on the panel and don’t tend to lose many to other sports

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1156303, member: 2272”]http://www.raheny.gaa.ie/coaching/coaching-drills - example of what a club can simply do

it’s about getting organised, proper under age coaching and structures, keeping kids interested and then at 14 up taking the best into development squads so its a five or ten year plan really which takes time, effort, continuity, money to do properly and not look for a short term fix with an external manager

Dublin did this and sheer numbers mean they can create a panel of massive strength in depth and because of the cache of Dublin can keep most of the footballers on the panel and don’t tend to lose many to other sports[/QUOTE]

Yes, you need the resources to do that.

Tradition as has been noted is the biggest factor at play in Kerry. What you also have in Munster is 4 of the 6 counties are primarily hurling orientated - Waterford, Tipperary, Limerick and Clare. Cork largely because of its size can compete at a high level in both codes. Outside of those four, Kilkenny would be the only county that could be classified as primarily hurling orientated. The likes of Galway, Offaly, Wexford (even though the hurling support in Wexford would dwarf the football support) are all essentially dual counties or have a clear demarcation between hurling and football areas.

Can anyone see any major flaws in mcguinness’s idea? It’s the best I’ve seen. Keeps provincials ie gives everyone a chance to play the big boys and have a shot at winning something, makes leagues meaningful and creates a tier 2 comp that the weaker teams can have a serious ambition of winning.
Everyone starts the year with a chance of making it into the tier 1 competition too

[QUOTE=“Tabby, post: 1156403, member: 2142”]Can anyone see any major flaws in mcguinness’s idea? It’s the best I’ve seen. Keeps provincials ie gives everyone a chance to play the big boys and have a shot at winning something, makes leagues meaningful and creates a tier 2 comp that the weaker teams can have a serious ambition of winning.
Everyone starts the year with a chance of making it into the tier 1 competition too[/QUOTE]

The flaw I see is that it focuses on the wrong thing, the Championship doesn’t require major tweaking, again repeating myself, I’d just like to see the qualifiers redress the balance of the provincial system.

Derry were a Division 2B side when they made the All Ireland semi-final in 2004.

Wexford were a Division 3 side when they made the All Ireland semi-final in 2011.

Under the suggested format they would have been eliminated from the All Ireland series after the provincials.

[QUOTE=“Nembo Kid, post: 1156411, member: 2514”]The flaw I see is that it focuses on the wrong thing, the Championship doesn’t require major tweaking, again repeating myself, I’d just like to see the qualifiers redress the balance of the provincial system.

Derry were a Division 2B side when they made the All Ireland semi-final in 2004.

Wexford were a Division 3 side when they made the All Ireland semi-final in 2011.

Under the suggested format they would have been eliminated from the All Ireland series after the provincials.[/QUOTE]
The leagues aren’t taken seriously by teams or fans and need to be linked to championship and the lower 50 pc of counties having nothing realistic to aim for are the main problems, in my opinion.

Wexford is very much a dual county with zero dermarcation between the codes. A recipe for consistent success.

It was Wexford I specifically had in mind as a dual county with zero demarcation. Cork, Galway and Offaly would fall into the category of dual counties with clear lines of demarcation.

[QUOTE=“Tabby, post: 1156403, member: 2142”]Can anyone see any major flaws in mcguinness’s idea? It’s the best I’ve seen. Keeps provincials ie gives everyone a chance to play the big boys and have a shot at winning something, makes leagues meaningful and creates a tier 2 comp that the weaker teams can have a serious ambition of winning.
Everyone starts the year with a chance of making it into the tier 1 competition too[/QUOTE]

the main flaw is that amateur athletes cant play that many games at full tilt
also , the flaw is that the grounds will be empty for the majority of games as bogball fans only like the big games and wont turn up in numbers if there are too many games

[QUOTE=“Nembo Kid, post: 1156411, member: 2514”]The flaw I see is that it focuses on the wrong thing, the Championship doesn’t require major tweaking, again repeating myself, I’d just like to see the qualifiers redress the balance of the provincial system.

Under the suggested format they would have been eliminated from the All Ireland series after the provincials.[/QUOTE]

That was 2008 for Wexford, bro.

I think jimmy’s proposal is a good one, probably the best so far.

A team would have 7 league games (did he allow for a final?).
Say 8 max
Provincial games vary 2 to 4.
Say 4 max. (extra time played)

4 rounds in either AI series. And allow for replay of semi & final.

Would cap a season at 16 games.

Some cracking games to look forward to this weekend in Tullamore, Salthill, Armagh and Thurles. It should also be competitive in Mullingar but you’d expect Meath and Cork to win with something to spare.

A weekend to savour my friends, and to top it off, there won’t be a sliotar in sight :pint:

Ulster gets the best of resources from the British government. The money poured into facilities and coaching in ulster far outweighs anywhere else (pound for pound) in Ireland bar may dublin and Killkenny.

[QUOTE=“thedancingbaby, post: 1156581, member: 48”]Some cracking games to look forward to this weekend in Tullamore, Salthill, Armagh and Thurles. It should also be competitive in Mullingar but you’d expect Meath and Cork to win with something to spare.

A weekend to savour my friends, and to top it off, there won’t be a sliotar in sight :pint:[/QUOTE]
I would have given Clare a right chance but something seems to have gone horribly wrong with Clare. Basically all their best players seriously injured.
It’s now apparent why Paudie Kissane moved on.

Prove it.

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1156303, member: 2272”]http://www.raheny.gaa.ie/coaching/coaching-drills - example of what a club can simply do

Dublin did this and sheer numbers mean they can create a panel of massive strength in depth and because of the cache of Dublin can keep most of the footballers on the panel and don’t tend to lose many to other sports[/QUOTE]

those links say trim gaa when you click on them pal…i think development squads at 14 years of age are madness…whether its meant or not its teaching a kid to play a certain way from a very young age…no wonder lads are getting sick of the game younger and retiring younger …