2015 All Ireland Football Championship - FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAKE IT STOP

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1159187, member: 273”]Galway need a mad cunt like him. Great for them.
When they get up to speed fitness wise in the next year or two they will be hard to beat. They have plenty weapons and are not obsessed with playing nice “Galway football”.[/QUOTE]

They haven’t a decent defender in sight going by yesterday. Their forwards asked some questions of Mayo but I think that was supplemented by how tactically naive Mayo can be, they constantly leave their full back line exposed.

Has Tomás Mannion sired any quare wan yet? They could do with a bit of his bloodline coming up the ranks by now.

Did you even see the game?
Mayo held back more than ever at half back. They even picked a stay at home centre back instead of an attacking one.
Hanley got roasted by AOS, and then AOS went out and roasted everybody. McLoughlin was snuffed out and so were most of the other forwards

The keeper made an awful mistake that led to an OG which changed the game.
Previous to that Cuniffe was reasonably deep most of the time. Galway just hit great ball over him and Comer is a fucking nightmare to deal with. He is nothing obvious, not huge, but strong, no Gooch, but clever and can protect ball well, no speedster but has great positioning. He’s old school really, love watching lads like him. An absolute pain in the hole to mark I’d say.

Galway don’t have an AI winning set of backs yet, but other than COC & AOS they snuffed out mayo pretty well. AOS is starting to reach potential and there are many more men/teams going to struggle with him.

Even without the goal I think AOS was going to pull them over the line regardless yesterday.

Hanley is a fine player and will play well again. O’ Connell is a good centre back and the rest then are ball carrying runners with Silke probably having that bit of class and distribution. But from no. 8 up (let’s assume Walsh is back on the team) there are as good as anyone bar maybe Kerry and Dublin, although I think in time we’ll see this Galway midfield , whichever 3 they use, as better than Dublins.

Walsh has instilled a bit of grit and fight and togetherness in them.

Not getting much help from his old team mate ray Silke with tired old clichéd articles though. It’s like he wrote it Saturday night.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1159337, member: 273”]Did you even see the game?
Mayo held back more than ever at half back. They even picked a stay at home centre back instead of an attacking one.
Hanley got roasted by AOS, and then AOS went out and roasted everybody. McLoughlin was snuffed out and so were most of the other forwards

The keeper made an awful mistake that led to an OG which changed the game.
Previous to that Cuniffe was reasonably deep most of the time. Galway just hit great ball over him and Comer is a fucking nightmare to deal with. He is nothing obvious, not huge, but strong, no Gooch, but clever and can protect ball well, no speedster but has great positioning. He’s old school really, love watching lads like him. An absolute pain in the hole to mark I’d say.

Galway don’t have an AI winning set of backs yet, but other than COC & AOS they snuffed out mayo pretty well. AOS is starting to reach potential and there are many more men/teams going to struggle with him.

Even without the goal I think AOS was going to pull them over the line regardless yesterday.

Hanley is a fine player and will play well again. O’ Connell is a good centre back and the rest then are ball carrying runners with Silke probably having that bit of class and distribution. But from no. 8 up (let’s assume Walsh is back on the team) there are as good as anyone bar maybe Kerry and Dublin, although I think in time we’ll see this Galway midfield , whichever 3 they use, as better than Dublins.

Walsh has instilled a bit of grit and fight and togetherness in them.

Not getting much help from his old team mate ray Silke with tired old clichéd articles though. It’s like he wrote it Saturday night.[/QUOTE]

I don’t agree, Kev, Hanley wasn’t the only one who gave away really sloppy frees yesterday, their half back line were beaten to an awful lot of ball round the middle of the field and the two wing backs who started looked very light, they’re probably pretty young so that can improve in the years to come. Cillian O’Connor did fuck all in the match as he tends to do, scored one decent point early on from play and the rest of them were handy frees in front of the posts, he is a pretty average forward from play, no pace, not a great ball winner, his movement is nothing special. If O’Connor wasn’t a reliable free taker then he’d be struggling for his place on that Mayo team. Moran picked up two points from play in the first half - Dillon who came on for him just before the first half ended only last about 10 minutes before he himself had to go off with an injury. The rest of their forwards are not big scorers. Mayo’s forwards over the past 4/5 years have been the department which has badly let them down, I know they have conceded a lot of soft goals in big games but that is due to a tactical failing than anything else. They have a half back line which bombs forward and leaves their full back line completely exposed.

They are still relatively young but the defending was alarmingly poor and the tackling was lazy, undisciplined and cynical. Their forward line, while good and will get better when Walsh returns were carrying at least one guy yesterday, the no. 11 Sweeney. I’ve never rated Hanely, he’s talked about as one of the best full backs in the country but it’s not the first time I’ve seen him take an absolute chasing. Conroy is another lad who big things have been talked about yesterday and he was being carried as well.

Galway might come good in the next few years but the defending as embarrassing yesterday, Mayo didn’t really have to push out of second gear in the end and it was as a result of Galways shooting themselves in the foot with poor, naive defending.

[QUOTE=“Nembo Kid, post: 1159348, member: 2514”]I don’t agree, Kev, Hanley wasn’t the only one who gave away really sloppy frees yesterday, their half back line were beaten to an awful lot of ball round the middle of the field and the two wing backs who started looked very light, they’re probably pretty young so that can improve in the years to come. Cillian O’Connor did fuck all in the match as he tends to do, scored one decent point early on from play and the rest of them were handy frees in front of the posts, he is a pretty average forward from play, no pace, not a great ball winner, his movement is nothing special. If O’Connor wasn’t a reliable free taker then he’d be struggling for his place on that Mayo team. Moran picked up two points from play in the first half - Dillon who came on for him just before the first half ended only last about 10 minutes before he himself had to go off with an injury. The rest of their forwards are not big scorers. Mayo’s forwards over the past 4/5 years have been the department which has badly let them down, I know they have conceded a lot of soft goals in big games but that is due to a tactical failing than anything else. They have a half back line which bombs forward and leaves their full back line completely exposed.

They are still relatively young but the defending was alarmingly poor and the tackling was lazy, undisciplined and cynical. Their forward line, while good and will get better when Walsh returns were carrying at least one guy yesterday, the no. 11 Sweeney. I’ve never rated Hanely, he’s talked about as one of the best full backs in the country but it’s not the first time I’ve seen him take an absolute chasing. Conroy is another lad who big things have been talked about yesterday and he was being carried as well.

Galway might come good in the next few years but the defending as embarrassing yesterday, Mayo didn’t really have to push out of second gear in the end and it was as a result of Galways shooting themselves in the foot with poor, naive defending.[/QUOTE]
I never said they were great defenders. You are just making stuff up I said Hanley and O Connell are good an the others are ball carriers. Where after that did I say they were great defenders?
They coughed up 1-3 for fuck all. 3 frees that were correctly give but we’re not pressurized situations and a retarded goal. Actually things easily enough sorted.

Galway will learn a lot from that. Mayo fuck all. They still don’t know where to play AOS, they have now blunted one of their main weapons (half back), have regressed both in tackling and general discipline and importantly durability as they have more injuries than ever. The continues absence of Freeman bemeauses me(he may be injured).

Galway’s indiscipline cost them.

In Carrick they conceded more frees vs Leitrim than Donegal and Tyrone combined on the same day.

The amount of easy frees they gifted Mayo was criminal.

Having said that Mayo played well within themselves and were never in any danger.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1159416, member: 273”]I never said they were great defenders. You are just making stuff up I said Hanley and O Connell are good an the others are ball carriers. Where after that did I say they were great defenders?
They coughed up 1-3 for fuck all. 3 frees that were correctly give but we’re not pressurized situations and a retarded goal. Actually things easily enough sorted.

Galway will learn a lot from that. Mayo fuck all. They still don’t know where to play AOS, they have now blunted one of their main weapons (half back), have regressed both in tackling and general discipline and importantly durability as they have more injuries than ever. The continues absence of Freeman bemeauses me(he may be injured).[/QUOTE]

As usual, you are looking for things which aren’t there in my posts. If you can point out to me where I said you did say they were good defenders then be my guest, I’m just reinforcing my earlier point with examples - a viewpoint that suggests until they learn how to defend they will do nothing. You seem to think they dealt with Mayo’s forwards reasonably well but I don’t think they did. They coughed up 8 points in front of the posts with very silly fouls. At the end of the day, a Mayo team who look like they may be on the wane and who did not perform well on the day ran out reasonably comfortable winners in the end. Galway have talent in their forward line but lets be completely honest, they were allowed play yesterday, how well would they handle a well organised defensive unit?

This threatened to break into a great game yesterday but with the way football has gone it ultimately regressed into just another pulling and dragging fest. It’s a shame to see that in Connacht but I guess there is an element of keeping up with the Jones and no team would dare want to be seen they might lack the required level of cynicism to succeed in football nowadays.

Hanley looks cooked to me. I never got his exalted reputation and fully expected Colin Ford to have usurped the no 3 position by this stage but last I heard he was in London. Breathnachs mistake cost us any chance, all the more galling because AOS had been well checked in his run otherwise. Sice, Cummins, C Sweeney, Comer, and O Griofa when he came on, all did alright whereas Lundy was well marshalled by Keegan throughout and the like of O Currain, Flynn are still struggling to find the consistently elite level they displayed under age at senior. When they do manage to find it only then can we start getting excited about this team.

Mayo weren’t great yesterday and have a serious problem at full back. But they will improve and I expect them to beat Roscommon who are an improving side but lack the raw power to compete with Mayo in the middle of the pitch. Aiden O Shea is an absolutely superb player, one of the top 3 in the land I’d say.

BTW a home draw against Tyrone next please:cool:

Wicklow did step it up significantly yesterday, considering only London finished below them in the league. With home advantage Armagh will go in as favourites, but Wicklow have an outsiders chance of winning it.

Cathal sweeney was outstanding yesterday, how come none of the resident experts saw that. Hanley was cleaned out though. Galways tackling needs refining but theres no doubt mayo realise theyve fuck all up front and are hitting the ground on any contact. When youve as useless and panicky a ref as hughes was it ruined galways chances. Mayo wont get as compliant a ref in croker and will be in serious trouble. Gas how much mayo people ranted about tyrone i think it was killing the clock on them before, yet no problem with keegan doing it last night and no proper added time.

Time keeping and score keeping need to be taken out of the referees hands. The fourth official can do both. The less they have to worry about the better they can just interpret the rules, most are fucking dullards anyway and under more mental strain than they are able for. Two refs for senior championship wpuld be ideal, if at least to dilute the ineptitude.

I doubt it was Tyrone that Mayo people were ranting about. Mayo usually beat Tyrone. Probably Kerry or Meath.

@Gman. I always thought it was against the rules in Gaelic Football to use both hands to tackle simultaneously, alternating between right and left. Am I correct?

It’s very prevalent this year.

All deliberate fouls should be a red card. End of.

[QUOTE=“Manuel Zelaya, post: 1159443, member: 377”]With home advantage Armagh will go in as favourites, but Wicklow have an outsiders chance of winning it.
[/QUOTE]
I recall Wicklow drawing up there a few years back before Armagh won the replay in Aughrim by 4 or 5. It was in Micko’s time iirc

that o shea fucker doesnt look fit

S&C in the gga is a joke

Correct. That was 2011. Wicklow never feared Ulster opposition with Micko at the helm. In 2009, Wicklow knocked out Fermanagh, Cavan and Down in the qualifiers. After a few tough years, Wicklow seem to be getting their mojo back under Jonny Magee’s stewardship.

[QUOTE=“Appendage, post: 1159493, member: 11”]@Gman. I always thought it was against the rules in Gaelic Football to use both hands to tackle simultaneously, alternating between right and left. Am I correct?

It’s very prevalent this year.

All deliberate fouls should be a red card. End of.[/QUOTE]

“The Tackle is a skill by which a player may dispossess an opponent or frustrate his objective within the Rules of Fair Play. The tackle is aimed at the ball, not the player. The tackler may use his body to confront the opponent but deliberate bodily contact (such as punching, slapping, arm holding, pushing, tripping, jersey pulling or a full frontal charge) is forbidden. The only deliberate physical contact can be a Fair Charge i.e. Shoulder-to-shoulder with at least one foot on the ground. More than one player can tackle the player in possession.”

5.6 To use the fist on or around the body of an opponent for the purpose of dispossessing him of the ball.

there is nothing specific in the rules as you describe that I know of, but it is a foul to work the body like that which is a common trait in games. It usually happens when the player in possession has his back to the tackler, so its hard to say that he is trying to dispossess him by alternating hands like that and in most cases should be a free.

[QUOTE=“The Selfish Giant, post: 1159551, member: 80”]that o shea fucker doesnt look fit

S&C in the gga is a joke[/QUOTE]

Any views on bohemians running the rovers ragged in the last 20 minutes last Friday night ???

yes,go to the appropriate thread KIBman and you will see

really?. at the bottom of the table in div. 4 and beaten by a poor Meath team missing a host of regulars…hardly getting their mojo back