2015 Ulster Senior Football Championship

really enjoyed that game today,ulster football is the only show in town at this stage of the year

True - none of the serious teams out until June

A lot of similarities between yesterday’s game and the 2013 semi-final when we were very fortunate to escape with a 1 point win. Cavan will be a dangerous prospect for a lot of teams in the qualifiers, based on this. What ever happened to the Givney lad in midfield? He had the makings of a good player. Also good to see Tom Hayes come on, won a MacRory league medal with St Macartans and has a big future in the game. Martin Reilly’s black card sucked the last bit of life out of an ailing Cavan side.

From a Monaghan perspective, we’re relieved with the win. O’Rourke didn’t have the right 15 starting. Eoinsy Duff should be starting all day ahead of Carey. For so long a weakness, our strength off the bench was key, with Colin Walshe looking particularly rejuvenated. Dessie Mone once again showed he’s in the top 3 half backs in the country. Full back line was below-par, and we were slow to deal with Argue’s threat.

Not a lot learned from this game. Kieran Hughes confirmed himself as our premier fielder of the high ball, but his presence inside is greatly missed. If Eoin Lennon can get a couple of games under his belt with Latton in the next 4 weeks, we’re laughing. If all-stars were earned in the opening 60 seconds of each half, Karl O Connell would be a shoe-in.

Donegal and Armagh won’t be too worried with what they saw yesterday, but it was a similar story in 2013, when we stumbled to the final.

On a closing note, what is the future of the traditional goalkeeper in the modern game? Cavan started a mediocre club forward between the sticks, who didn’t play a minute of league football, on the basis of his distance kicking. Given their blanket defence, traditional goalkeeping skills aren’t as vital. It’s becoming more and more prevalent in the game. Anyway, as it turned out, he couldn’t kick for shite either.

I thought Monaghan made all their own trouble yesterday. They started off really flat and really had to rely on the big names to dig them out near the end. I think Monaghan can only afford one of McAnespie, Gollogly and Maloney in the side at the one time and I’d pick Gollogly out of that bunch. They’re all too small to have 2/3 out in the half forward line.

Are there no other natural midfield options in Monaghan other than Clerkin and Lennon?

[QUOTE=“Nembo Kid, post: 1148063, member: 2514”]I thought Monaghan made all their own trouble yesterday. They started off really flat and really had to rely on the big names to dig them out near the end. I think Monaghan can only afford one of McAnespie, Gollogly and Maloney in the side at the one time and I’d pick Gollogly out of that bunch. They’re all too small to have 2/3 out in the half forward line.

Are there no other natural midfield options in Monaghan other than Clerkin and Lennon?[/QUOTE]
Maloney?

In a word, no. Scotstownand Clontibret have nothing of note (Hughes x 2 aside). Gavan Doogan is a decent worker option, but not a lot coming through. McAdam shouldn’t really be in there. Kieran Hughes will spend more and more time In the engine room.

[QUOTE=“Chucks Nwoko, post: 1148066, member: 2812”]Maloney?

In a word, no. Scotstownand Clontibret have nothing of note (Hughes x 2 aside). Gavan Doogan is a decent worker option, but not a lot coming through. McAdam shouldn’t really be in there. Kieran Hughes will spend more and more time In the engine room.[/QUOTE]

The Hughes brothers are more effective in other areas though.

Meant Malone btw.

[QUOTE=“Nembo Kid, post: 1148072, member: 2514”]The Hughes brothers are more effective in other areas though.

Meant Malone btw.[/QUOTE]
Malone is held in high regard and won’t be dropped. I think he’s a first cousin if Rory Woods if I’m not mistaken.

You won’t see Carey next day. McAnespie is still only 19 odd. Great talent. Living, and schooled in Ballygawley, he was heavily wooed by Harte to join the Red Hand minor setup.

This was taken after the game yesterday.

[ATTACH=full]2955[/ATTACH]

[QUOTE=“Chucks Nwoko, post: 1148093, member: 2812”]This was taken after the game yesterday.

[ATTACH=full]2955[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

And?

Have some fucking decorum in the Ulster Championship thread, will you?

What’s your view on @Bandage tapping a county woman of yours Chuck?

Is the hungry cunt after the land? Because there’s no oil paintings about Monaghan.

If he was after land he’d hardly go to Monaghan would he?

Would he not?

I’d like to make @Mac persona non grata in this thread.

Like away mate. However my mothers family all hail from Monaghan and Armagh so I’ve as much entitlement to post here as you do.

:eek:

:eek::eek::eek: