2016 Allianz National Football League

At least they can’t be relegated next year

Not wishing to keep going on about it, but it was clear from last Sunday that the Hyde was never going to be able to hold the game. It was destroyed last week and the forecast was brutal for the wknd. It wasn’t playable Wednesday and it rained constantly since. Plus it seems that the decision was made yesterday and could have avoided all the shit today. And then charged people to get the “complimentary” bus to Carrick. Anyway, no need for me to keep going on about it, made fuck all difference to me.

Dublin beat Roscommon by a single
Point in Fortress MacDiarmada.

Roscommon didn’t move the game because of the money to be made from having Dublin in town the night before a game. Too many vested interests in the CB to make that call unless it’s completely necessary.

As it turns out there was no major harm done.

The GAA should change the venue of Kerry-Roscommon semi-final from Croke Park to Nowlan Park at the last minute in revenge.

I always knew Frehill was hopeless but even I was shocked by that carry on.

They focussed the entire day on a relegation battle between Mayo and Monaghan. Then when the matches ended it suddenly dawned on then that Cork and Donegal were on the same points.

Frehill’s calculatons then were astounding. He had Monaghan on minus 10 odd and Cork on minus six. Then we get a comment to say he was wrong (cue laughing) and actually Cork had the worst scoring record. Where he got the minus 6 from I don’t know and all that information should be to hand. Commentators at the matches were even calling it as Cork going down.

Woeful incompetence

2 Likes

Great drama in Div 1 and 2 with 4 teams each battling to avoid the last relegation place all level on points.

I don’t think the league has really done us any favours in giving us an informed insight for Championship. Great campaign for Cavan though and the Championship will be interesting in their regard. They have added a lot of physicality to their team this year - Givney coming back, Argue and Buchanan look like they are adjusting to senior. They finally have a good physical spine to their team and Keating and Johnson now carry a scoring threat for them.

I don’t really know what to expect in Ulster. Tyrone would be expected to come through their side but they always find in tough in Ulster against Ulster sides, we’re a Croke Park team and enjoy playing against Southern sides where we get a bit more freedom - it’s why the qualifiers have always served us well under Harte.

Donegal started off really well but seem to have stalled, I’ll judge them when Championship comes around, similar story with Monaghan who don’t seem to have added much to their stall but haven’t lost much either.

Armagh improved as the league went after a horrid start, Derry the opposite. Again, no real insight to where these teams are at.

Great campaign from Fermanagh, great to see them holding their own. Antrim vastly improved from last year.

Down, bleak, bleak, bleak.

Looking forward to a great Ulster Championship.

Galway Bay FM also said Monaghan had been relegated. They’ve just corrected their mistake.

Perhaps this is just a Galway thing, Darren Frehill is a Galway man.

Euro 2016 will be an afterthought with the big one going on at home during it.

JobBridge lads couldn’t be arsed doing the calculations themselves and just passed on the info they heard on RTE.

I think the standard of TV and radio sport broadcasting in Ireland is shockingly poor, bar a few notable exceptions. One of the main things in advance of going on air today should have been to know the permutations in the football league. The laziness and lack of accuracy and attention to detail is incredibly unprofessional. I’m always minded of that clip @Rocko put up a few years ago of Maloney, Cahill and O’Donoghue riffing about whether Adam Rooney was related to Wayne too. The incompetence regularly displayed on Saturday and Sunday Sport on Radio One is laughable.

1 Like

Christ I can’t believe lads were trying to defend that Shields tackle.

2 Likes

Closed fist.

I am not warming to Aaron Kernan as a pundit yet lads.

What do ye make of him?

1 Like

And the rest. Imagine the outcry if that had been McCarron or a Neil McGee?

Not much. He positively shines beside Dessie mind you

What are the division 1 semi-final pairings, guys?

Dublin v Donegal
Roscommon v Kerry

1 Like

Kerry v Roscommon
Dublin v Donegal

1 Like

Mullane kept calling Frehill Barry after the hurling.

1 Like

Dig with a closed fist. Followed by a knee and a slap across the top of the head. I’ve seen them given.

1 Like