2016 Allianz National Hurling League

You ll see fuck all hurling tonight chief.

Did you hear that on the radio too?

Oh dear. What a fuck up by Skehill.

Has Callinan being dropped or is he injured?

:cry:

I hope it’s not a permanent thing?

No, not for 6 anyway.

Useless. Cork will win nothing either

Of the 19 players used vs Offaly in last years Leinster Championship win, Cheddar will be without 12 of them for Saturdays play off with Westmeath. 2 suspended obviously, 10 others are either retired or injured.

Safe to say we don’t exactly have the pool of players to deal with that sort of loss.

:sweat:

Be an awful shame for ye to go down, but then it’d be good for Westmeath.

As Antrim have shown it ain’t that easy to bounce back, and you probably lose a lot of lads, who’ll just say fuck it I’m not killing myself for division 2 hurling.

Division 3 hurling!

Well division 2 technically, but ya.

Thats the concern. The big thing for Cheddar was to get them out of that, be playing against the likes of Waterford/Offaly/Wexford/Clare/Limerick etc. The commitment asked over the past number of years was savage to even try get up to the fitness level required to compete with your Galways, etc, nevermind the skills.

I believe they are doing ferocious training at present, that Cheddar has targeted everything to their Quarter Final, and peaking later than previous years when they were up for the Round Robin around this time of the season. Presume he hoped the league would take care of itself, ie, you’d have to do a lot/nothing to get relegated, and hasn’t tapered training. He wasn’t reckoning on the injuries mind you. There’s a huge lack of experience in the team that will go out on Saturday. They didn’t have a great league last year, and still toppled Offaly when it came to the Championship, but you have to feel relegation on Saturday could be catastrophic.

Waterford bounced back from Division 3 hurling to play a Munster Final within 3 years. And that was proper Division 3 ie teams ranked 17-24.

Times have changed a wee bit since then. Laois came from Division 3 to win an NFL in '86. While it also isn’t possible now, even if it was, it’d be fucking impossible.

Division 2 1984/1985
Dublin 3-15 Waterford 3-7
Roscommon 0-9 Waterford 1-4
Waterford 2-16 Kildare 0-9
Waterford 1-15 Westmeath 1-13
Antrim 5-9 Waterford 2-12
Kerry 3-6 Waterford 2-8
Clare 1-15 Waterford 1-8

Summary: relegation

Division 3 1985/1986
Waterford 2-12 Kildare 3-5
Waterford 1-12 Derry 0-5
Waterford 6-24 Louth 2-4
Waterford 7-11 Armagh 0-3
Waterford 4-9 Carlow 2-5
Mayo 3-7 Waterford 2-6
Waterford 3-12 Wicklow 1-6

4 Likes

This really bugs me. You guys have got a population of 81,000 which is more than enough, a bleeding blue and white hurling man with Cheddar, A I pedigree with a title in the bag, a love for gaa and some of the best land in the country yet hurling people up there must be mentally shooting themselves in the face every second of the day because of ye’re inconsistency. Cheddar can’t do it all on his own. Leinster council owe Laois the responsibility of funding. increasing coaching or what ever it takes to get hurling the primary sport in the county. They’ve got to spread the wealth around more fairly. It’s tough being a Laios supporter I’d say, very tough.

Agree thoroughly. Cheddar even done up his own development plan and presented it to Croke Park a few years ago and its sitting on a shelf somewhere. It wouldn’t have cost a fraction of what other counties have gotten (Dublin) and only a token amount was doled out to be shared between Laois, Carlow and Westmeath.

Laois were one of Cork, Dublin, Kerry and Galway currently operating in the top two tables in both leagues. As you can see our population is significantly lower than any of those as is our industry and ability to raise money.

I would argue our coaching has been awful in hurling up until the Setanta programme and dreadful in football since Sean Dempsey stepped away in '05 or so, so we haven’t helped ourselves either to that extent. But even when we got the hurling up and running, we got fuck all assistance to keep it going. Its quite disheartening for hurling people to be honest.

FFS! :joy::joy::joy:

Those Croke Park boys need a serious talking to.