2016 Ulster Senior Football Championsip - Its happening again

If you’ve paid your subs a PM notification will reach you.

It starts today. :clap:

The greatest sporting competition in the world.

And what a start we have as the only team to give Dublin a proper game last year, Fermanagh, take on sleeping giants and Division 4 table-toppers Antrim in a blockbuster clash at Brewster Park.

1 Like

Niall McKeever misses out for Antrim which is a shame as the midfield battle between him and Eoin Donnelly was going to be critical.

McKeever is yet another AFL returnee who has really struggled with injuries.

Sean Quigley is embarrassingly fat for an intercounty footballer.

And embarrassingly skilful and effective for the vast majority of other inter-county footballers.

1 Like

I wouldn’t use the term embarrassing there.

I never said he was wasn’t good, just that he’s clearly overweight so you’d have to question if he has the correct attitude to training and looking after himself for the good of the team.

He’s just big boned scaneen

Looks to me as if he has his attitude to intercounty training regimens spot on

1 Like

How many bones does he have in his arse?

@Nembo_Kid how do you see the teams lining out this weekend?

I’ve always admired Cailean O Boyle’s ability to pull out some unimaginable scores that would astound even those closest to him, do you see him having any influence on Sunday?

Tyrone is relatively straight forward.

Morgan will miss out so Mickey O’Neill will start, Justy McMahon is a doubt after he picked up an injury in a club game recently.

1. M O’Neill
  2. McCrory
  3. McNamee
  4. McCarron
  5. R Brennan
  6. ???
  7. McCann
  8. C Cavanagh
  9. Mattie Donnelly
  10. ???
  11. Harte
  12. ???
  13. McAliskey
  14. S Cavanagh
  15. R O’Neill

Tierney, Sludden and Justy will be competing for the half back spot - R Brennan will move to no.6 if Justy is not available with one of the others taking up the wing back spots.

R Donnelly, Bradley, Sludden and Meyler will compete for the vacant half forward positions, Peter Harte is a shoe in but could switch to wing forward if Bradley starts.

I expect O’Neill to get the nod ahead of McCurry and Lee Brennan, he’s had a very solid lead showing. There is a chance Mickey may opt with three of O’Neill/McAliskey/Brennan/McCurry but I would be surprised and feel the team has a better overall balance with just two of them starting.

Derry is anybody’s guess.

If they have a fully fit team then you’d expect Chrissy McKaigue, SL McGoldrick, Danny Heavron, Mark Lynch, Enda Lynn, Dermy McBride, Brendan Rodgers and Kevin Johnston are all certain starters but there are a few injury concerns over a few of them with Lynn almost certain to miss out. A lot of those guys play all over the pitch with the exception of McBride who is a staple in the full back line so it’s anyone’s guess how Barton will line them out.

I’m expecting a tough game, it’s quite some time since Tyrone beat Derry in Derry in Championship football.

2 Likes

I would also think Frank Burns has a good chance of starting, perhaps at 6 if Justy doesn’t make it.

1 – Michael O’Neill – Cluain Eo – 16 Appearances (3)
2 – Aidan McCrory – Aireagal Chiaráin – 80 Appearances (18)
3 – Ronan McNamee – Achadh Uí Aráin – 51 Appearances (12)
4 – Cathal McCarron – An Droim Mór – 82 Appearances (20)
5 – Tiernan McCann – Coill an Chlochair – 39 Appearances (8)
6 – Nial Sludden – An Droim Mór – 12 Appearances *Yet to make SFC Debut
7 – Peter Harte – Aireagal Chiaráin – 99 Appearances (32)
8 – Colm Cavanagh – An Mhaigh – 118 Appearances (43)
9 – Matthew Donnelly – Trí Leac – 77 Appearances (23)
10 – Cathal McShane – Eoghan Ruadh Uí Néill – 14 Appearances (3)
11 – Mark Bradley – Coill an Chlochair – 20 Appearances (7)
12 – Richard Donnelly – Trí Leac – 13 Appearances (3)
13 – Connor McAliskey – Cluain Eo – 55 Appearances (16)
14 – Sean Cavanagh © – An Mhaigh – 220 Appearances (79)
15 – Ronan O’Neill – An Omaigh – 51 Appearances (11)
16 – Niall Morgan – Éadan na dTorc – 48 Appearances (11)
17 – Lee Brennan – Trí Leac – 7 Appearances *Yet to make SFC Debut
18 – Frank Burns – Cabhán a’Chaortainn – 1 Appearance *Yet to make SFC Debut
19 – Pádraig Hampsey – Oileán a’Ghuail – 6 Appearances *Yet to make SFC Debut
20 – Conall McCann – Coill an Chochair – 20 Appearances (4)
21 – Darren McCurry – Éadan na dTorc – 56 Appearances (20)
22 – Kieran McGeary – Cabhán a’Chaortainn – 9 Appearances *Yet to make SFC Debut
23 – Padraig McNulty – Dún Geanainn – 27 Appearances (5)
24 – David Mulgrew – Ard Bó – 2 Appearances *Yet to make SFC Debut
25 – Jonathan Monroe – An Charraig Mhór – 8 Appearances *Yet to make SFC Debut
26 – Barry Tierney – An Omaigh – 34 Appearances (7)

Rory Brennan, Conor Meyler, Conor Clarke, Niall McKenna, Joe McMahon, Ronan McNabb and Justin McMahon miss out through injury.

Sludden at 6 and McShane at 10 are interesting calls.

Sludden is quite a small guy to have at 6 and all our half back line are happiest going forward. We’ll miss Justy for this one as Derry have some big guys in the forward line and we could be susceptible to the high ball.

McShane has really struggled at senior level so this is a big chance for him to show us what he can do.

Are Tyrone going to win Ulster? You said over the Autumn that Mickey Harte needs another Ulster title minimum but they always seem to go well through the qualifiers.

First priority is an Ulster title, it would be a disappointment if we didn’t win it but Ulster titles are hard won.

Tyrone are a Croke Park team, they suit the harder ground where the ball moves quicker and pace of the game is more fluid.

They’ll have it tough in Derry, Tyrone’s record in Celtic Park is dreadful.

Thanks. Are they on the tough side of the draw?

Draw is pretty even this time round.

1 Like

Thanks best of luck Sunday.

1 Like

Ill second that

1 Like

I’ve kicked every other football team out of my portfolio this year and added In Tyrone.