2017 All Ireland final Galway v Waterford - Pretend Galway Fans spouting shit

They would have played in the sixties when Galway were in Munster but since then only 2009 and 2011? Open to correction by @GeoffreyBoycott / @Sidney.

Waterford have played Galway four times in the modern era, one of which was a non-knockout “Mediocre 8” game in 2006.

I attended three of these games - 1998, 2009 and 2011.

10 championship meetings between Waterford and Galway and Waterford have won all 10. They’ve met in the modern era in quarter finals of 1998, 2009 & 2011 and a group qualifier game in 2006. All Ireland semi finals of 1938, 48 & 57 and there were three games in the Munster Championship in the 60’s, don’t know the years off the top of my head.

4 Likes

Waterford were the first county in GAA history to overcome what commonly became known as “six day syndrome” in that victory over Galway in 1998 (it was seven days in Waterford’s case).

Cyril Farrell was Galway manager that day and resigned afterwards having not won a championship match against a recognised hurling county in his 1997-98 spell in charge.

It was a particularly gutless Galway display and Waterford disposed of them with the minimum of fuss.

The 2011 quarter final meeting was a strange one. Galway seemed to be building up a head of steam in the qualifiers hammering Clare and Cork by double digit margins. Waterford shipped 7 goals in losing the Munster Final to Tipperary by 21 points. Galway looked to have all the momentum but were hammered by 10 points after a 2nd half no show.

A guy replying to himself with stats and trivia under different usernames at 1.20AM on a Monday morning…some very odd people in this world.

2 Likes

How is the bile and hatred going to work on TFK in the lead up to the final? We have @Fagan_ODowd and @anon70480284 who will have no problem getting stuck in against the NOGRA crowd and the rest if the Galway lads, of which there are many. They’ll all be frothing at the mouth to hand out some batings in the next few weeks (aside from @flattythehurdler who is too decent to engage in such nastiness). Will there be surrogates for Waterford, or posters coming out with the “my father is from Dungarvan” line and claiming temporary Waterfordness in order to hurl opprobrium at the likes of @anon7035031 and @maroonandwhite?
It could be a very one sided few weeks, unless @Fagan_ODowd can come up with some beauty that gets 25 likes and 8 Tae in Mug ratings in response to some malevolent and convoluted argument from Labane.

1 Like

No malevolence here pal, @Fagan_ODowd is the only one throwing shade so far. There’s no real excessive emotions between Galway and Waterford, unlike the hatred we have for Tipp cunts (@Brimmer_Bradley) or the love fest that Offaly and Wexford posters (@Bandage) would have for Kilkenny. To be honest I would be an admirer of Waterford hurling for the past few decades, and when we have played them they won, simply because they were better.

So no hostility towards the Waterford lads, but by fuck if the Wexicans and others start, they’ll get it. The Nogra will go medieval on the “neutral” Waterfort supporters.

1 Like

That’s disappointing

Profound words from the man from Kildavin, Co. Carlow who claims to be from Wexford.

3 Likes

Its a massive worry really. Although we’ve never beaten them there’s no bad feeling or malevolence in Galway towards Waterford. Its so far away, we rarely play them and they are alright sorts. But if we can’t get mentally right for this final we may as well regrade to Christy ring.

Huh? I’m not from Kildavin, what are you on about?

I’m on about your poor grasp of county boundaries.

Where’s Kildavin there? I’m from Bunclody.

Like myself I’ve never known @GeoffreyBoycott to be wrong on the Internet. It’s not @Sidney youre dealing with. There’s nothing wrong with Carlow mate, embrace it.

Strangely enough I have a mate here who claims to be from Wexford but when he’s had a few admits to being from Carlow. Do you have a close relative in or near San Fran?

Geoffrey’s just trying to get me rattled in the lead up to the Ashes mate, god love him. I’m from Bunclody, played for HWH Bunclody which is in Wexford, glad to have put that to bed.
I think it is possible however that you have been wrong on the INTERNET.
I have no relatives living in San Francisco.

The Co. Carlow end of Bunclody.

Where are you from Geoffrey?

That’s funny, that’s what he says.
Do Carlow people go to HWH Bunclody?

PM me the name