2017 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

I’ve tipped Mayo a good bit out on this and still do. Kerry are brittle and that’s their strongest XV starting. Their bench doesn’t actually impress me too much.

1 Like

The Mayo team for the All Ireland Semi-Final against Kerry in the Croke Park at 3.30pm is:

1 David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)
2 Brendan Harrison (Aghamore)
3 Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe)
4 Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)
5 Lee Keegan (Westport)
6 Chris Barrett (Belmullet)
7 Colm Boyle (Davitts)
8 Seamus O’Shea (Breaffy)
9 Tom Parsons (Charlestown)
10 Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)
11 Aidan O’Shea (Breaffy)
12 Diarmuid O’Connor (Ballintubber)
13 Jason Doherty (Burrishoole)
14 Cillian O’Connor (Ballintubber, captain)
15 Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen)

Vaughan full back - be the Lord jaysus. Anything’s better than Cafferkey I suppose.

Keegan back in for Durcan?

Surely Durcan will start in place of someone named there?

Definitely a better option than Cafferkey and always plays well in Croke Park. He’ll annoy the fuck out of Donaghy and is the best of the natural defenders in the air, so I’m happy enough with the call.

1 Like

Why wasn’t Keegan starting the last day?

You’d think so, but not clear who it’d be

He had an infection in his foot that has cleared up fully now. He could’ve played the last 20/25, but that wasn’t needed.

1 Like

Was hospitalised with an infection in his foot in the week of the game

1 Like

He had a mental breakdown.

1 Like

I have a hunch too that Mayo will win on Sunday although I’d never be overly confident about tipping a Mayo team to beat a Kerry team.

I just feel they have unfinished business with Kerry after 2014. They should have won both of those semi-finals. Bar the first half of the draw and the second half of extra-time in the replay, they were definitely the better team over those two matches. Fitzmaurice threw Donaghy on as a last ditch throw of the dice and he saved it and ultimately won it for them.

Donaghy is 34 now and it’s asking a lot of him to produce in the same manner. I really rate Stephen O’Brien and he should deliver from the start but Kerry will lose his impact off the bench where he can really damage teams. Presumably Darran O’Sullivan will be that impact injection of pace instead but it’s questionable what kind of force he is now while I’ve never really rated or trusted Barry John Keane.

I too am not sure about Kerry’s bench and how ready their new players are and think the league final may prove to be slightly deceiving in terms of their real standing this year.

To me Mayo’s style has always matched up well with Kerry. They’ve won five of the last seven league clashes between the two with another one being a draw, so Kerry have won just once in the league against them since 2012 - that was in 2016 where Mayo were a good bit behind in terms of preparation with Rochford not having had much time with them.

I prefer Mayo’s build up to this, they’re over the hump now, back where they aimed for and have found out a huge amount about themselves over the course of this summer. While Durcan not starting would be a strange call, their defence still looks competent without him and either way he’ll play a huge role - should he not start he’d be a terrific substitute to bring on, better than anybody on the Kerry bench.

I just fancy that they have an indefatigable spirit built up over this summer which Kerry won’t break, and will right the wrong of 2014.

3 Likes

Kerry by 6.

Mayo for me and Mayo to win first AI in whatever the fuckity fuck years it is. 65?

Through gritted teeth, I’d love to see mayo win it out. They’ve been so close so often.

It’s Galway and Mayos year

:joy::joy:
Insecure langer

Any names for me?

Kerry will get a tough game but win by 4 or 5 in the end. They’ll target Vaughan who is a) not a full back and b) lacking serious game time. The more I think of it Donaghy will go to town on him. Kerry have good closers off the bench whereas Mayo are struggling in that dept. Expect to see Kerry pull Mayo lads down 50-60 yards from goal to snuff out runs in on goal.

Who have Kerry coming off the bench now thats so special.

Maher is a great midfielder to bring on to secure posession but he is starting.

Stevie O’B is a great sub to bring in. He is starting.
Donaghy is starting.
Savage arguably os a nice forward to being on but not much better than Loftus at this stage.

None of the rest of the Kerry bench is that frightening.

I’d say its 50-50 on the bench

Didn’t say they were frightening but good in last 10-15 mins. Barry should prob be starting, Bj Keane will get his usual two points, Sheehan is good for long range frees if close and Lynne and Fitzgerald are solid enough to shore things up.

1 Like

Would you though? Imagine the carnage? The buck-toothed joy as they lined up at the border to Galway to taunt you and spent every night smacking your women’s arses and raping your livestock. I imagine whenever it happens There’ll be deaths linked to the celebration.

3 Likes