2017 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

:smile:

Keane is only any use if winning

the hardest part of marking Donaghy is not his height , its actually how he uses his frame…he’s usually planted under the high ball , using his back and arse to shield the defender from getting to attack the dropping ball…but with all the talk of Donaghy it would just be typical of Kerry to devise a plan to concentrate on feeding o Donoghue or geaney in behind him…just like 2014 Aiden O shea will be fouled everytime he gets the ball out around the middle…Kerry to win, scoring a few goals in process…

2 Likes

Its a basketball skill called “boxing out”, he uses it very well

1 Like

I can’t wait for this game. If Kerry do have all those forwards firing well there’s no way mayo can live with them but if Mayo’s halfbacks get a run at the Kerry defence it could be carnage. Black cards could decide it either way.

i’d be surprised if both semi finals don’t have red cards…

I fear the winner will come from the other semi.

That is all factually correct, but I still think this mayo generation (the players) deserve an all Ireland.

Ye can waffle all ye want about Mayo’s half backs & midfielders etc. The bottom line is they don’t have the forwards to win an AI or imo beat Kerry.

1 Like

I’d be a lot more confident having Vaughan on Donaghy than I would with Cafferkey, who looks finished. Vaughan is a crafty and adaptable footballer, quick, and a serious competitor with just the right amount of pig ignorance you need to deal with Donaghy.

A bit like David Brady, who many people might not remember quietening Donaghy considerably after he was put on him in the 2006 final.

And Joe McMahon.

1 Like

Vaughan will be replaced after Donaghy spanks him like a little bitch.

The thinking with Donaghy is often that you need height. Reality is you need a cute warrior. Canty beat Donaghy more time than not and he was not amazingly tall. He was a great defender though.

Vaughan is an impressive footballer in many aspects, however i have nothing to reference woth him doing this before. And Donaghy is very often over focused on and from memory he actually doesn’t seem to have, 2014 aside, too many consecutive games ina row playing to his best.

Dublin v Kerry final.

Mayo v Tyrone final. With bottles tyrone to lose by 5 to mayo

1 Like

Tell me how you think Tyrone will beat Mayo.

I find this facinating. I would say 40% of people i read or talk to think Tyrone will win. Not one has been able to give a reason why though.

Surely Vaughan won’t actually play full-back? I’m fairly sure he’s been named wearing number 3 before and actually played further up the pitch. Barrett will probably pick up Donaghy.

You mean Dublin? They’ll simply catch them on the hop. That dub team has been gutted and been replaced by young new superstars who have a lot to prove. Tyrone have the system to really hurt the dubs. Dubs coming in so cold.

That’s very possible and Vaughan did wear number 3 last year playing midfield, but I think he is as well equipped as anybody to deal with Donaghy.

Durcan might come in for one the forwards, possibly Doherty.

For me Keith Higgins is the player you want being a free man in defence.

Stevie McDonnell suggested leaving Donaghy unchallenged catching the ball is the key to stopping. Apparently Conor gormley done it a few times.

You need to be very sure that both the goal and the other forwards are covered by defenders in that case. Donaghy’s hands are so quick.

It’s really only an option if the ball in is not good.

Tyrone double teamed Donaghy brilliantly in 2008. Justin McMahon would contest the ball, just make sure Donaghy didn’t catch it, and Joe McMahon would hoover up the break.

You could imagine Barry Moran and Keith Higgins doing a similar thing but I’m not sure if Moran is even in the squad for this match.