2017 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Not on the panel. Coen is far closer to IC standard.

Are you on a diet?

Ruane was u21 again this year. I saw him play one game in spring and was impressed. Has a bit to however to be ready for a game like today

The OShea thing was mental yesterday. There was never more than a 10-1 shot that a move like that would work and it really exposes Rochford as at best a bit dim. Also highlights the fear Donaghy instils in Mayo and begs the question , what the fuck do they do now?

When Donaghy scored his first half point he threw a little shimmy as he gathered the ball which OShea bought Hook line and sinker and by the time he realised he’d been conned he was 15 yards in the wrong direction and utterly irrelevant to the play.

3 Likes

Whatever about starting that way - By half time Rochford had to see that the Kerry back line were there to be obliterated - Moving a natural defender on Star would have had no less effect defensively and more than likely would have had more of an impact than AOS was having — But having the belief to move him up the other end and say to his troops that we are going out here second half and we are going to walk all over these cunts, would have been a massive statement, and I think they would have too.

When the general doesn’t have balls this filters down through to your troops.

1 Like

Eamonn Sweeney: Tactically, Mayo are lions led by donkeys

1 Like

Eamon Sweeney is a bit of a cunt.

3 Likes

He’s bang on there tho.

1 Like

Tickets on sale for the replay

€35 for the stand and €25 for the hill

But is he right?

It’s a bit unfair to be calling the Mayo management donkeys to be honest.
They tried something, it didn’t work, if Mayo had taken their chances they would have won the game.

1 Like

Perhaps Stephen Rochford read Eamonn Sweeney’s colleague Joe Brolly’s article yesterday and got the idea to play O’Shea on Donaghy from that?

AOS got to grips with the position in the 2nd half and i felt it became more of a sweeping than marking and he set up several attacks and was also blocking channels to Geaney who i would suggest was on fire but just didn’t get enough ball. He was clearly told not to follow Donaghy out too far. Obviously we are guessing but its quite possible he fullfilled his roll just as management required.

He was still the best full back on the field and yet again Mark Griffen is completely exposed. As was Morley and Enright. Kerry have some serious questions to answer and i don’t know if they can get much better. Mayo can at least reach that again.

Kerry should probably consider Paul Murphy as an out and out sweeper. They have lost the natural defensive tendancies of Walsh.

They were worried about the ariel threat and were reasonably comfortable letting Kerry play low wide ball.

Barry Moran is the only squad member they have that might be able to reduce that aeriel threat.

I think they will adjust and do something else again the next day.

The not pushing up on KO’s is mad though, especially when you have them on the rack.

I get the reasoning behind it, but at what stage does a coach say - fuck it, we can win this if we go for it — rather than- we won’t lose this if we keep plugging away…

They were a referee’s decision away from being knocked out yesterday when they should have won by 5 or 6 points.

How do you know it did not work?

None of us know their thinking.

Its funny to see all the hurling people here up in arms about football tactics that they seem to not understand.

Right or wrongly Mayo have a hang up about ling ball in to Donaghy. Kerry score little or no tap over 20-30M scores worked out from deep ball. Against Cork for instance JOD got 3 of those. By taking Donaghy out the field they made Kerry work hard for their scores. I think that and the physicality shook the Kerry forwards.

If Mayo improve discipline along they will have 3-4 spare at the end. Thats a big if though.

As I said about Rochford last year, he strikes me as someone trying to be too clever. Looking to pull off a game changing masterstroke so that he can be feted by the media.
Really all he needed to do yesterday was get Mayo to press Kerry’s kick outs. Nothing revolutionary, and blatantly obvious to most yet, he didn’t get around to it until time was more or less up.
He also refused to realise that Donaghy was taking O’Shea for a ride all day and that anyone of his defenders would surely have handled him better. Maybe playing O’Shea as a spare man in front of the full back line to nulify the aerial threat could work, but as a man marker on Donaghy it was a failure.

2 Likes

Ya but their attacking threat doesn’t really come from AOS. Its the 2 boys inside and really fast half backs (or deep lying half forwards).

He was hovering up ball and is a big lump in front of the goals.

There are many reasons Mayo should have pulled away, but a lack of balls certainly isn’t one of them