2017 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Donaghy set up both goals and a few points by moving out the field.

1 Like

But he was fairly obviously told to let him have it so far out. Now granted his lack of nous cost 1-1.

But psychologically i think it shook Kerry in a number of ways

1st goal, 100%. AOS was found wantimg and lacking experience.
2nd goal was a fuck up elsewhere

He let the ball over the sideline and was caught out of position for the second goal.

2 Likes

AOS running at that Kerry back lined would have done untold. They went 15 mins first half without a score and they struggled for the last 10 mins of the second half also… I don’t think they have enough firepower to take him from an attacking position and especially when your opponent is there to be slaughtered.

1 Like

That was an awful kick from Higgins in the conditions

Mayo should have buried them cunts yesterday.Andy moran fucked up badly for a third goal which proably would have killed the game.Kerry just aren’t that good especially at the back,I still think Mayo will beat them next Saturday unless Rochford does something ridiculous.Lee Keegan won’t be as quiet either.He needs to swap around the two O Sheas and push up more on the kerry kickouts.If kerry flood the middle kick it in early to the forwards,if they play a sweeper run straight down the middle like the did again Roscommon and stop fuckin taking off Colm Boyle so fuckin early.

1 Like

Mayo bottled it.

What is that about?

He obviously doesn’t cover enough ground or something but he was one of the best players on the pitch in the first half yesterday.

Also Paddy Durcan didn’t start and he is a cracking half back.

Ya but they only have one AOS or man to compete with Donaghy. I would consider Barry Moran but have no idea of his health & fotness.

I think everyone agrees there is a level of robbibg peter to pay paul.

To suggest it was dumb management though is completely misunderstanding the game, the psychology of the 2 teams and the teams patterns of play. Its arguable the ball moves faster thru midfield and half forwars when AOS is not there.

What management did f-up on

• Loftus getting 3 mins
  • Boyle taken off too early
  • letting Keegan be taken out for entire game(maybe him at 11 would have worked)
  • not pushing up on KO’s

But letting him have it wasn’t working as he was involved in most of Kerry’s best attacking play. Donaghy must be complimented it has to be said, he’s reinvented himself again the last few years and adjusted very well when Mayo threw him a bit of a wild card.

Donaghy is an excellent player - always was.

Far more than just a target man.

3 Likes

Eh what tactics were they exactly? Lets put our tallest man back on their tallest man?
Yes “hurling” people would have great difficulty with the complexities of that one.

Go fuck yourself you condescending know it all know fuck all cunt.

1 Like

Agree with this.

Drake and Cohen both on before him. Again - baffling.

I think you have to accept shutti g Kerrys forwards down is never going to happen. What you want to do is stop though 3-4 point flurries they have.

Lesser of 2 evils and i for one get it. If of course that was the thinking

Every football pundit has come out and said it failed - But they obviously don’t have an understanding of the game either.

2 Likes

Better return from their own kick outs will win it for Mayo.

He is not their tallest player you plug.

But as well as that he was put back there for physicality and knowing donaghy from basketball.

Hurling snobbery coming thru even on a football discussion. Its notable that all these hurling lads seem to have completely missed the reasoning.

But carry on angry man.

1 Like

Drake is a good player and was an obvious one. Coen not so much.

Mayo have a fear of the Donaghy aerial threat.

It killed them in 2006 and in the first match in 2014.

That threat was removed yesterday with O’Shea going back to mark him.

That can’t be just ignored.

1 Like