2017 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

The luck was in Mayo’s opportunistic goal. Galway did have trouble closing the game out, need more leadership in the clutch but Mayo only made a game of it with a lot of help from the ref

1 Like

I didn’t see it either but I think you’re right there mate. Lads often disregard how much of an advantage it is having an extra man

Was the red card not apparently very soft?

Depends on your perspective but I’d imagine most people would believe that kneeing an opponent in the nuts is generally worthy of a red

7 Likes

I’d be very surprised if an extra man for 50 minutes wasn’t worth at least 1 point, but I don’t mind the Galway lads here much so I’ll give them the BOTD.

What’s the appropriate punishment for kneeing an opponent in the nuts in front of the ref?

Initially it looked like it was given for a shove to the chest but it turned out Higgins kneed Comer in the swingers.

Fair enough lads I was at a club game so didn’t see a second of it. I was only going off what someone said in the thread as I skimmed through it

Galway wouldn’t be fit enough for the Dubs yet. They were proper bollixed at 60mins today

Still here mate

What’s the view on Rochford, lads?

Spoofer who got lucky last year or a guy who has done as well as he could with Mayo?

1 Like

Good club manager…out of his depth at inter county level.

When I heard Aidan O’Shea refer to him as Rochey last April I knew the game was up.

5 Likes

I would hold judgement until the end of championship. Mayo could still win the all ireland.

So too could Laois TBF.

Good for you. Dubs are still in it to keep you occupied.

1 Like

Mayo are in the A side of the qualifiers.

1 Like

Yeah, meant A side.

The A side only gets tricky when round 3 starts.

Based on what? An All Ireland Final and replay?

They lost last year as well at this stage. Maybe his experience at planning for the long haul is why he is good.

Anyone suggesting Rochford is a bluffer after the football he got Corofin playing really has absolutely no clue. Its mind boggling reactionary.

They lost by 1 point to a decent side and had 14 men.

4 Likes

Do you blame Rochford for Keith Higgins red card yesterday?

As I recall you put the blame on Seamus O’Shea’s black card against Dublin in 2015 down to the management team for him to lose his discipline like that.

What Rochford did with Corofn was not remarkable, they just happen to have an excellent crop of players and a great tradition.

It’s also easy to change the narrative on last year. They had to rely on a few favours from Joe McQuillan and some cheating by AOS to get past Fermanagh. He’d probably be out of the job had that happened so there’s much to prove for him this year.

Round 3 could be here interesting should they face up against one of Tyrone/Donegal/Meath/Kildare. They look there for the taking now, no real point in planning for the long haul if they’re gone early and time looks like it may finally be showing on some of those players.