2017 RBS 6 Nations

I’ve just given you the facts and the historical context. You have two problems here. Firstly you don’t know or understand rugby. Secondly, you don’t like the answers I’ve given to you.

3 Likes

What a long winded post

1 Like

You’ve ignored the facts presented by me which are actually relevant to the debate at heart.

I know your tricks and tactics Boycott, they’re archaic and won’t work with a top notch debater like me.

1 Like

+1. A lof of words can’t change the facts.

1 Like

This is top class debating from both main protagonists. Both utilising their respective but different strengths to the full, which means we’re getting a very rounded and intriguing debate as a whole.

2 Likes

You asked me did I agree with the assertion you made that Ireland were going to shortly revert to whipping boy status of the Six Nations, like they often were at times in the old Five Nations. I answered that I didn’t and explained the reasoning why I believe they won’t. Professionalism has changed the dynamic entirely and the unparalleled level of consistency we have seen from Ireland over 18 campaigns bears this out. Culture and circumstances in a sport can be changed by radical events.

When rugby turned professional in 1995, the football team you started supporting a few weeks ago Chelsea had won 1 league title (1954/55), 1 FA Cup (1970), 1 League Cup (1965) and 1 Cup Winners Cup (1972) in the 90 years since their foundation in 1905. They had spent long tracts of time in the second division as well, after getting relegated in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s (twice). Since 1995, Chelsea have won 4 league titles, 6 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, 1 European Cup, 1 Cup Winners Cup and 1 UEFA Cup. Applying the same rigid logic that you are applying to the Ireland rugby team, presumably you are expecting Chelsea to get relegated again over the next few seasons.

2 Likes

I’m citing your double standards on tradition. We all know the weighting you put in tradition.

Ireland’s tradition is that they are weakest and least successful of the “5 nations”, I’m highly amused at how quick you are to abandon your own traditions and code of principles when the matter of the subject changes.

It’s basic whataboutery on Geoff’s part.

What about Chelsea’s tradition? What about Tyrone’s tradition? What about it indeed?

He’s the one placing such a significance on tradition, not you. It’s the classic internet diversion - arguing a point you haven’t made.

Your patience is admirable in these circumstances.

3 Likes

The game changer for Ireland will be getting connacht to the top level.

Four top provinces provides the depth needed at the top level.

Scotland are fucked through lack of depth.

Wales are a funny one. Deplorable at club level. Very good at international.

The Aviva needs to be finished up to 70k capacity though. Twickenham makes obscene money every game.

1 Like

I reckon Oireland will deny England their grand Slam next weekend in Dublin.

The cracks will be all papered over then for another while.

Nobody in Jockoland gives a toss about rugby football apart form a few chaps who went to private schools.

2 Likes

I haven’t watched an Ireland match or let along a rugby match in quite some time but by all accounts the rugby played by Schmidt is conservative with little or no frills or spark. Why does he get such a free ride in the media and is put up as some kind of management guru when Giovanni Trapattoni was widely criticised in general by the wider media for making the Irish football team a conservative and hard to beat side?

Had Trap been a natural English speaker who spoke in management jargon like Schmidt would he have gotten a similar free ride?

4 Likes

Do all tax payers subsidise private schools in Scotland like they do here? Like all services in Ireland we throw money at the problem but it still ends up being a bag of shite.

And its not basic whataboutery on the part of @Nembo_Kid?

He hasn’t offered one reason to back up his assertion that Ireland are suddenly going to revert to the wilderness and start adding to the haul of 36 wooden spoons that he cited earlier.

Professionalism was the big game changer. It removed the competitive advantage that France had (and Wales for years) and meant Ireland were competing on an even playing field. I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

2 Likes

I’m proffering the hypocrisy you apply when it comes to tradition.

What was the competitive advantage?

Rugby was quasi professional in Wales and France from the 50’s onwards while it remained strictly amateur in Ireland, Scotland and even England until the late 1980’s. It levelled out shortly after the sport went fully professional in 1995.

1 Like

Conjecture.

:laughing:

3 Likes

Fuck sake, is Cheltenham back?