2018 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

A very average Kerry side winning Sam that year was a reasonable achievement.

2 Likes

Unless Mayo get dumped out unexpectedly, Cillian Oā€™Connor will likely finish the year as the all-time top scorer in the Championship. He needs 23 points to surpass Colm Cooper. His scoring average is way ahead of anyone else in the top 10, only Mikey Sheehy comes close. Unreal going for a lad just turned 26 who hasnā€™t played 50 championship games yet.

2 Likes

Itā€™s easy when youā€™re bagging hat tricks against Limerick, London, New York, Leitrim etc on a consistent basis.

3 Likes

Heā€™d still be in 2nd if you take out goals against all those teams

6 Likes

Would he?

The fact is Oā€™Connor consistently fails to deliver from open play in big games. He has no pace, no left foot and is not a good ball winner.

Making a definitive statement right after an acknowledgment that you dont know his stats

3 Likes

All-Ireland SFC qualifiers Round 2 draw :volleyball:
Qualifier draw
Tipperary v Mayo
Waterford v Monaghan
Cavan v Down
Carlow v Tyrone
Offaly v Clare
Longford v Kildare
Sligo v Armagh
Leitrim v Louth
Games to be played June 23/24

All I said was he scores big tallies against cannon fodder.

:brendan:

Stephen Attride suffered a double skull fracture in the last minute yesterday. His year is done, and I hope that itā€™s not more than that. Horrific injury according to my source.

Thatā€™s correct pal, he kicked 7 scores against Tyrone a couple of years back.

5 Likes

Tricky one for Mayo.

Good draw for Tyrone and even better for Monaghan.

How many from play?

He would ya.

Weā€™ve been over his merits/weaknesses as a forward, I donā€™t think thereā€™s any point reopening that can of worms. I just thought it was worth mentioning - whatever way you cut it, becoming the all-time championship top scorer this early in his career is an unreal achievement.

4 Likes

I think itā€™s ridiculously flawed. Heā€™s played more Championship games already that most intercounty players will play in their entire careers.

Is that so mate? Seems like from this table that heā€™s played a comparitively low amount of games
table

Heā€™s just 6 games short of McConville for instance who had a long and successful career and I donā€™t know how to up to date that is either.

The most impressive one there on that list by some distance is Paddy Bradley. His career spanned over an era when Ulster was at a very high level. He was pretty much a one man team for Derry and would often find himself double marked. His scoring return in that period was extraordinary

And sure isnā€™t he 100 points ahead of him having 6 less games?

Itā€™s fully up to date btw

1 Like

Yes. OisĆ­n McConville was a wing forward who didnā€™t have New York, London or Leitrim topping up his tally every year or two.

As I said Oā€™Connor is a great man for letting loose against the cannon fodder, heā€™s not great at delivering from play in big games.