2018 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

This weekend will tell alot I feel. No COC. No Keegan.

Div 2 was definitely not in the script so having to go to Ballybofey and not get beat without the above 2 lads will be no easy task.

Mayo vs Galway on 13th May is going to be some game.

1 Like

Jason “Jayo” Sherlock to be hit with a reported eight week ban for interfering with a Galway player last weekend.

Dubs backroom team will be down to the bare bones of around 24 now.

12 Likes

No that’s not an easy trip

I would fancy Donegal if close to full strength

Relegation to Division 2 wont matter much to this Mayo side. Its all guns for Championship and nothing else. They’ll need a lucky break or two to make it over the line of course, but they’re due them nearly at this point. We’ll only know if they’re gone when it happens, anything before that is guesswork, which I suppose is what this sort of analysis is all about.

Their obituaries have been prepared this last two years in fairness. Get everyone fit, and they most likely have one more swing in them, albeit a favourable super 8 draw might be required to get them to an All Ireland semi final fit and healthy.

All the old lads another year older, little coming through that’s showing much promise. They’ve proven the doubters wrong year on year but now injuries and mileage are beginning to become more noticeable and the fringe players are not up to it.

Relegation might even do them some good. A few handier games next year and playing different teams to freshen it all up. They were excellent in last year’s final but probably could and should have been beaten 3 times before they got there. I hope they can keep it going this year, a super 8 game in Castlebar against the Dubs or Kerry would be something to look forward to later this summer.

Perhaps, but better the injuries now maybe. Either way, they’ll be a dangerous beast but the Super 8, if unkind, could do for them.

Are injuries now more a sign of their bodies breaking down?

Keegan is definitely out of the Galway game. O’Connor should be fit

I’d suspect you’re right.

Really? That’s an awful shame if true (the mayo rumour mill about Keegan is usually horseshit). Boyle a little bit to blame. I think Mayo will struggle this year with the Super 8s. They’ll be beaten by Galway and get a tough draw then a loss or two they won’t recover from.

why do people always wonder if mayo are “gone”?..where are they going to go? a bit like Dubs and Kerry there’s fcuk all teams that can or have beaten Mayo in knockout championship football in last what, 6 years…so while they might plateau, they won’t be “gone”…
Regards, division 2 football I wonder are Galway Hurlers showing the way by hiding out in div. 1 B and missing all these div 1 A teams itching to flake them and they still cranky from a winter of partying and hooch…i’d say they’ll be fresh and mad for road by this year’s leinster champo. can’t remember all Ireland champions appearing on tv in a live match for first time so late in the year before in their match v Limerick…

They don’t really have to peak for Leinster either. Beat Dublin (no offence) and Offaly and they are in the A-I quarter final. Can tip away until then and peak for later in the summer, end of June/start of July.

All five teams in Munster will be going at it hammer and tongs from May 20th and could be bollixed for the straight knock out stages.

yeah exactly …realistically it’ll be july before they will need to get going…

I think it’s because a lot of their key players are getting on now and even some of the younger lads are showing signs of mileage on the clock. While they won an AI U21 a couple of years ago, they don’t seem to have brought anything through. You look at the way the likes of Meath, Cork, Armagh, Galway, Down etc have all fallen apart after having sides that competed at the top level.

I do think they will go, their record at minor in recent years has been very poor, Galway, Roscommon and even Sligo seem to have been surpassing them at that grade in the past 3/4 years.

Clarke, Higgins, Boyle, Barrett, Cafferkey, Andy Moran, SOS, Barry Moran, Parsons.

The likes of Vaughan, Keegan and COC are now beginning to succumb to injuries - the depth is not there.

ok but who would you realistically add to the list of being able to beat them outside of Dublin and kerry …maybe Tyrone on a given day …

Well an off colour Mayo has ran the gauntlet against Fermanagh, Derry, Clare, Cork and Roscommon in the past two years.

Hurling is way different.

But it’s more the panic signs.

I did not put much heed into Mayo being “gone” in past either. Just things look a litthe all over the shop.

They are crane tan usual too

1 Like

cringe