2018 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Mattie McGleenan telling it like it is.

Great to see a Tyrone man saying ulster and others comps are a waste of time.

This is how majority of people within the games feel.

GAA needs to bite bullet

2 Likes

The Ulster Championship is a well functioning provincial championship. The Connacht Championship is showing signs of becoming much more competitive. The other two provinces are a joke and make a mockery of things.

1 Like

It makes alot of sense really.

1 Like

I’m quite looking forward to the Super 8s this year.

Apart from Dublin, there is reason to be a bit more optimistic of a narrowing gulf between the top 4 and the others. Tyrone are trying to change their style a bit, Kerry are introducing lots of new players and Mayo are another year older and the fringe guys are not impressing at all so all three have question marks on them for this year.

My only hope is that there’s not a lopsided group which is entirely possible. You can pretty much guarantee Kerry and Dublin will not be in the same group as both will win their Provincial Championships comfortably.

One each of Mayo/Galway and Monaghan/Tyrone will enter the first round of the qualifiers, so it could be in jeopardy that all these sides make the Super 8s and it would be a disaster for the Championship not to have them there, particularly in the new format.

The worry for the Super 8s is that you could have two counties who haven’t a hope of making a semi-final end up in one group and games are all pretty much dead rubbers and given how the qualifiers can go, that makes it distinctly possible. There’s nothing to stop the loser of Mayo/Galway to draw the loser of Monaghan/Tyrone in the first round of the qualifiers.

Michael Carroll opts off Donegal panel.

Strange one as he had seen a good bit of action last year but hasn’t really featured this year around.

Tyrone :joy::joy::joy:

Do you find Cork football as funny?

How does the super 8s work? Provincial winners + 4 from qualifiers?

I think Tyrone (3rd best team in Ulster) will need a very kind run in the qualifiers to get there

I think Dublin will win every match this year, and the format suits them perfectly, but I think Tyrone may well be the best placed team to challenge them.

If Tyrone win Ulster, they’ll be in the same group as Dublin in the Super 8.

Even with a loss, they’ll learn a huge amount from playing them, and it’ll probably be in Croke Park, and they’ll avoid them in the semis.

I’d fancy Tyrone to take Kerry in a semi-final. 50/50 if they play Mayo.

It really all depends on the groups. There could be an absolute nightmare in one of the groups. Possible that Mayo, Tyrone and Dublin could be one group and potentially joined by a side like Monaghan or Galway etc.

You’d expect one group will have Dublin and one of Donegal/Monaghan/Tyrone.
The other will have Kerry and one of Mayo/Galway (possibly Roscommon but I doubt it). It really depends where the losers of Mayo/Galway and Tyrone/Monaghan end up after the qualifiers, there’s the potential for a clusterfuck of a group if they both go into a group along with two provincial champions.

The GAA would be absolute dopes if they don’t rig the qualifier draws to ensure the strongest 8 teams make the Super 8 and are evenly distributed across both groups.

1 Like

The GAA would never rig a draw…

1 Like

who are the strongest 8 and how do you break into this group?

I remember the day of the draw for the inaugural All Ireland QFs, my uncle got a text of the pairings hours before the “live draw”

1 Like

You’d expect the provincial finals to line up as follows:

Mayo/Galway v Roscommon
Cork/Tipperary v Kerry
Tyrone v Donegal
Dublin v Kildare

Theoretically* that would mean the groups are as follows

Kerry
Mayo
Kildare
Donegal

Dublin
Tyrone
Cork
Roscommon

The wild cards will, as you say, be the loser of Mayo v Galway, and probably Monaghan.

*not theoretically

Yes, it just depends on how the losers of the Connacht and Ulster quarters progress through the qualifiers.

Roscommon just need to take care of Leitrim and pick up another win after that for a last 8 spot.

Similar fare for Cork who need to beat Tipp and pick up another win, its very easy for those sides to secure a last 8 spot but I don’t think those type of sides will pose any realistic threat of a SF spot in the new format.

Tyrone :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Was Sunday the 2nd not always the date?

I’m beginning to wonder are Mayo gone.

I know they struggle every year in League. However I have it on good authority they left script recently and played star players who were not ready.

Is there a bit of panic setting in with Rochford?

Large numbers of injuries and a not so deep squad would indicate they are in trouble big time.