2018 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Jim mcguinness surprisingly suggesting that tyrone should have played everyone behind the ball.

2 Likes

Tyrone were very weak mentally on Sunday. First bit of adversity they had to face in the match, conceding the penalty, they promptly had a full scale collapse. Weak of character and lack of leadership.

As a neutral it was disappointing that a team that were really only in the final courtesy of a soft draw and not having to beat any of the marquee teams to get there were shown up so badly. After a run of 10 years of close finals every year with a lot of really high quality matches in there as well, Sunday was some damp squib.

4 Likes

Over even before the collapse

The 4-1 lead was so astonishing misleading.

The structure of game and mindset of teams was obvious after 90 seconds.

Hugely disappointing

I do not believe for a second all those young players connect with Harte.

It is so so selfish to deny Canavan or the likes a run at it. Then we’d see a serious Tyrone

1 Like

While he did suggest this approach before game the detail of his hindsight is amusing

Buts flawed anyway. Dublin are now better at unpicking mass defense than ANY other tactic

1 Like

Trouble with Jim’s approach which, as always, is to pull the half forwards back behind the midfield is that it might keep the score down, but Dublin are patient. You can tell the half forwards to break at speed over and over again, which works when ye are fitter, but no one is fitter than Dublin. You can then empty the bench, but Dublin bench is better. Mayo being shown for the truly great team they were Imo. Dublin have the lot. Steel, intelligence, skill, heart. You can’t really outrun them. They stand up to knackery. They are full of heart. They are on and off the field great tactically.
Someone will beat them eventually, but it’ll be a while before they run out in a game without being red hot favourites.

3 Likes

You cannot mass defend against Dublin, they’ll just push 15 men forward if you pull 15 men back. They’ll keep the ball all day and just wait for you to slip.

1 Like

This is a big part of it, they’ve trained themselves to do things and adapt situationally in ways that would probably be against the natural instincts you develop playing football.

Agreed.

They are 7-8 years building and adding tools.

Nobody has the patience they have either.

Cork have the players for instance between 16 and 25 to be almost as good in 5 years but the people in charge do not know who to appoint as there is no intelligence at top table

Kerry have to start again.

Mayos ship has sailed.

Galway do not have the talent.

Tyrone have poor leadership both on and off pitch.

Only Donegal and Kildare for me could in next 2-3 years reach a significant level to challenge ge and have the footballers. But they also need dublin to drop back a touch

It’s all very do-able. None of what the dubs do is that revelutionary or special.

3 Likes

It’s called developing perception-action thru repetition without repetition.

The dubs also had the good fortune to have a generation of footballers who have the lot. Dedicated and focussed, loyal to each other and the management, with clear eyed intelligence and fantastic skill and athleticism, easily the match of the great kerry side.

The only way to beat the Dubs is to take them on in an open game (well as open as Gaelic can be these days) and match them when they spring the bench, with your own fresh legs. Mayo managed it but didn’t quite have the forwards and definitely didn’t have the bench. Kerry managed it but didn’t have the defense.
If Kerry can get their defense organised they’ll be able for the Dubs in a shootout and with the young lads will have options off the bench. I don’t think it can be underestimated how much Fitzmaurice was holding that team back by the end. With the right appointment I reckon Kerry can be right back on their heals by next year.

1 Like

Dublin have given great games and huge crowds to the GAA in the All Ireland series over the past decade. That wont be risked. Playing rules may be tweaked but I don’t see any rule likely change that could negatively impact them in any event.

The bigger issue for the GAA, both for promotion and attendance, is the provincial championships. Both Ulster and Connacht remain competitive and draw reasonable crowds. However the bigger numbers could be in Leinster and Munster and they have been lost.

Expect changes to be proposed for a two tier all-ireland and downgraded provincial championships.
Attendance this year;
Ulster; early rounds 9 8 15 5 & 9 k, semis 10 & 12k, final 28k (Ulster may be competitive but does not draw crowds)
Munster; 2 & 1 k, semis 3 & 16k, final 27k (that final attendance wont repeat)
Connacht; 4 & 28k, semis 8 & 8k, final 18k
Leinster; quarters 6 5 5 & 11k, semis not avbl & final 41k

#championsleagueformat

Dublin just dont make many mistakes. Bad shooting but from the correct positions hampered them early on.

Other than that… perhaps Cluxton hit two poor kickouts in the game (very good %s), Cian O’Sullivan was stuffed from the start and they conceded 4 pts inside (management), Philly McMahons losing his position conceded a penalty (tricky one there as they need two new defenders/McCarthy to the backs).

They should have won by more. I suppose the fact they won by 10 pts from the 15th minutes sums that up.

1 Like

I think they could have won by more if they needed. They just played the % by keeping the ball when they were 5+ points up.
If you told them they had to win by 10, I think they would have

2 Likes

Yes, it is coming. That does pose a big question for the leagues. Could see 5 divisions now with 6 in the top 4 and 8 in the bottom one playing earlier on a different schedule, still a straight final for each division.

I think it has more to do with culture and nurture than genetics

Cork and Kerry could easily match ability wise with right set ups.

Howard and Connolly are special. Fenton is rare. McCaffery wpuld excel at any time. Cluxton is unique and brilliant.

The rest? Very good. But many would be lost in Cork as an example anyway.

I have an idea for a classic GAA fudge that might be passable at congress.

Connacht one group 5 teams or 6 with New York/London. (New York would probably be fucked out altogether in this scenario, though I’d have them play all their games at home and create a New York series for promotion etc.)
Munster one group 6 teams
Ulster 2 groups of 4 and 5
Leinster 2 groups of 5 and 6 add in london to leinster for balance maybe.

Top 3 in Connacht and Munster go through, top two play a final.
Top 2 in Ulster groups play a semi final and final and a 3rd/4th playoff. The top 3 after this go through.
Top 2 in Leinster groups play a semi final and final and a 3rd/4th playoff. The top 3 after this go through.
That leaves you with 12.
4 provincial winners are in QF’s.
3rds play 2nd to join them.

The teams that didn’t make it are then in a second tier championship. With maybe the bottom teams from each group in a third tier.

It’s completely unnecessary, overly convoluted and unbalanced so it’s ideal for the GAA really. Keeps provinces, increases games, increases number of important KO games which is what everybody wants to go and see.
You could do a second round of groups, or only let two out from each division, or only let out 2 from Munster and Connacht with 3 from Ulster and Leinster perhaps, with some overly complicated and arbitrary playoff to decide the last eight or two groups of 5 either.

1 Like

Agree largely and definitely on Fitzmaurice who had a nightmare last 2 years where his obsession with dublin and lack if expertise and round him was exposed.

Kerry will take another 2 years though

Have you much work on yourself today?

1 Like