2018 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Why aren’t Dublin dominating the minor championship?

What dublin can do now is develop players akin to an nfl team. You might have exceptions, like murchan, who despite physical limitations are good enough, but generally their players have to have the pace, power, balance etc to play the game at an elite level. The skills of this game can be developed in anyone with an aptitude.

1 Like

You still need outstanding players to dominate though. Cluxton, McCaffrey, Fenton, McCarthy and Kilkenny very special players and Dublin may not have a crop like that again for a while after they’re gone.

1 Like

Its weird that Dublin cant find a tall fella to play full back then?

1 Like

Cicero

Serious question. .

How many of the current Tyrone team would have made the 2005 team .?? Not too many I would think

Lol, they said that about Brogan, Flynn, Connolly, MDMA, et al.

2 Likes

Their manager was not even there for a couple of their games this year…he was the seniors coach.

Transition from u/18 has caused a fair few issues.

Winning minors is not a priority

Galway are the hurling side of the same coin. Big, athletic lads who powered through everyone last year. Them wristy limerick lads put manners on them though. Thank God Limerick don’t bother too much with the football.

1 Like

True in a way. Very possible a more skilful team than dublin emerge soon (kerry maybe) but they won’t have the physical ability to match them over 70 plus minutes. Kinda proving my point.

I have a concern the Kerry minors will produce a heap of forwards but not the backs required

once upon a time Kerry had teak tough defenders - O’Se’s, Mahony, Sullivan, Mike Mac all in the one team\squad. gone very watery at the back in recent times

Yeah theres too much hype about these minors. Who knows where they will be in a few years or how they will develop. How many galway minors disappeared forever after at most one or two league appearances.

Who has teak tough backs anymore? The way the game has gone its nearly non contact til the 40. Everyone including dublin mass defend.

Structures don’t work without quality people and quality leaders in key positions, your core group on and off the pitch. It only takes a couple of retirements or bad choices for things to decline.

A lot of these came along before Dublin “got their house in order”. Cluxton, Connolly, the Brogans, Cian O’Sullivan, Philly McMahon, Paddy Andrews, James McCarthy, MDMA. A lot of them had the benefit of football being in the blood - the Brogans, McCarthy, McCaffrey, Rock. Ciaran Kilkenny was being talked about from at least 2007.

Things don’t stand still and in a few years time when some of the footballers have moved on, Dublin could easily find that a team of more athletes and less footballers won’t win All-Irelands.

4 Likes

I’d much prefer to be trying to find defenders than forwards. Kerry have won 36 all irelands without the luxury of this type of minor dominance. I think they’ll manage just fine. Sure the great team of the noughties was built on one or two u21 all irelands.

1 Like

I don’t really agree. Dublin have had big fit teams for years with limited success. What makes the difference is the extra bit of class. Connolly, Briogans x 2 , Kilkenny, Fenton, McCaffrey, O Sullivan, Clucton are all classy players. We never had that amount of quality before at the one time. Look at this Tyrone team compared to the team of the noughties. This team has no Camavan, O Neill , Mulligan and hence has no All Irelands.

1 Like

They changed tact so and that’s why they are not winning minors etc
They have gone more the Kerry route of choosing decision makers and “footballers” over athletes as athleticism can be developed far easier.

Of course a big skillful lad is better than a small skillful fella all things being even.

That’s a very flawed policy they had if true and one I find hard to completely believe

That’s nonsense

Cullen has changed all that

Galways size is cultural. It’s not a policy.

1 Like

Yes, but big is not the same as athletic. I’d imagine they look for athletes with decent basic ball skills, and work on nurturing them.

Cultural in part as it was what was needed to take on kk in the early tens.

You can develop everything. This notion that you are born with skills is a major issue in sport

However the hardest thing to develop is decision making once you have reached 21+

Not impossible of course, just slower. So those are the lads you look out for. Guys with the imponderables

Now sometimes some bit g athletic guys will simply be more useful than anyone else you find. And that’s just life.
Order of difficulty in coaching

1. Perception-Action Coupling efficiency and game specific agility
  2. Ball (or implement) mastery
  3. Specific Athleticism
  4. General Athleticism