2018 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Maybe but I think it’s deeper than that. I think it’s also routed in what’s needed and is successful at club level in Galway

1 Like

Galway have skillful natural forwards. It’s further back the field and on the line, they have issues to address. They might be just a good managerial appointment away from having a really good rattle at it in 2019.

Just to be clear I was on about their hurlers who were referenced back along.

I’m not convinced at all by Galway after this year. Their decision making was putrid at times.
That said a good coaching/management appointment could change that.

I wonder about their mobility at midfield to though

Thought Galway looked very slow this year. Had a real inability to change direction so lads could just run around them or at angles.

I still think natural pace is a huge advantage in football to get to highest level. Or at least people who have done some athletics type training at a young age and worked on it. Lots of kids never learn to run nowadays. Running banned in school yards etc

You can coach it to an extent and make people faster by working on how people move off etc but they are marginal gains

Dublin chose athletes. That’s from the horses
mouth. They believed they could develop the rest albeit the lads they chose were already at a good level skills wise but they went after strong, fast, tall, stamina as their main criteria.

3 Likes

There are also some children born with a natural bent for ball skills and balance, same goes for athleticism . You can only polish a turd so far.

2 Likes

I found with my coaching you have to try and make doing the right (what you want them to do) thing a habit. Almost robotic. Drills. If you can make as much of the simple decisions second nature and get them fit, decision making tends to be better.

You’d generally find bad decisions either early in the match if management haven’t tuned them in or late on when lads are fatiguing.

I found it much harder to coach adults who already had bad habits and mindsets. they’d almost challenge you when you point out a fault.

Are you suggesting we are not a blank canvass ?

Yeah for sure. I see it with the young lads I coach. Like some lads are more intelligent some lads just have a gift. The really good ones stand out a mile. About 5 per cent I would say at that age.

They grade kids in Crokes each year to get a benchmark and see are they developing. 1 to 5 - 5 the strongest. They found that about half of the under 16 team that won the championship this year were 2s and 3s when they were 8 yers old so kids can develop but the best and the ones who will make county are likely to always have been 5s.

I’m saying there would have to be only 15 people alive in galway for me to play senior hurling no matter how many thousand hours I trained.

2 Likes

I found the same from my experience working up through the age groups with squads. And the 5s will be pulled by a number of sports.

1 Like

No drills do not develop skills.

All they develop is the drill.

We use different parts of the brain for a drill compared to a more dynamic situation with opponents. This is scientific fact. Despite what you think is happening with kids improving they are only improving game sense by playing games. That’s why drills are re are re waste of time. They may be improving at the drill and the game at the same time.

But to accelerate improvement and overall development developing skills in real representitive situations is the way to go. With as many variations (repetition without repetition ) as possible.

Robotic is exactly rhe problen and is why in 15 years they look like uncoached players

Maybe they did in the past, but that’s not the thinking now.

Also from horses mouth

sorry when I say drills I mean games with situations.

I wouldn’t use a drill on an adult team as it’s a complete waste of time.

The drills I have are all small sided games situations with different scenarios and outcomes.

I learned through coaching not to stop the games as they are happening (which I used to do) and let it finish but take notes for the next iteration, unless there is something that has to be said.

1 Like

I wouldn’t use drills now with anyone.

But I see said the blind man. That’s exactly it. I have learned to shut up an awful lot more. Unless there is specific misunderstanding of the game being played or constraint.

But at the same time that’s what exposes those tuned in and those not.

“Do you understand the aim of the he game?” (Maintain possession)
“Do you understand the constraint?”(3 secs on ball)

Yes yes yes.

Then you play it and you have them freaking out because you blow a turn over for holding onto the ball for 4 secs.

At younger ages that can really challenge dominant players.

1 Like

It has the same effect with senior lads. In your 3 second example. Some of the more talented lads would tend to hold onto it longer. I’d blow consistently for a turnover.

It tells you a lot about a fellas character as well at that level. Some lads would put the head down and make the recovery run. Other lads would throw the hands up and say “this is fucking stupid”. You have to name it then. You’re letting the team down and you’ll do the same on a Sunday.

@Sidney @Tank

Yip.

I love then breaking the rules myself. As in blowing for something not in the game the odd time. See how they deal with a curve ball (or shit refereeing )

2 Likes

Frank is a tool

the coach has to have fun too.

Some lads go ape shit.

1 Like

What are you on about here?