2018 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

How is that nonsense? How has Cullen changed all that? You just saying so is your opinion, counts for no more than anyone elseā€™s

Thatā€™s a great last paragraph.

Itā€™s overblown twee

2 Likes

Hurling

Yes, I realise that. How is it culture and not policy?

Well I know both scientifically and from experience whatā€™s easiest/hardest to change from a training point of view

Itā€™s not just opinion.

Dublin are not looking for atheltes anymore (if they were before) specifically. They have a much broader viewpoint now.

Look at Murchin. Thatā€™s a sign of a different approach. Technically e celled. Now not wanting speed wise either, but 6-8 years ago heā€™d still be 3 years ago way from playing

1 Like

I have never heard it been said as a policy yet Galway have been massive for years thru numerous managers

That would indicate culture.

The club teams seem to indicate similar although from memory Clarinbridge bucked that trend a bit

Thereā€™s was a policy change of sorts where bigger lads were specifically brought through. Also in the last five years they have picked bigger minors, as Dublin and Kilkenny overpowered them at the time. For years the refrain was galways small, skilful tippy tappy hurlers. They still exist, but they arenā€™t being picked as frequently. How do you not remember this?

Iā€™m not sure what you are saying about club teams, rural clubs obviously donā€™t have policies I suppose you are saying that maybe portumna and athenry were physically big? They had a mix of taller stronger players, no more so than other successful teams id think. Clarinbridge had a smaller team than most clubs around Ireland Iā€™d wager.

As I said yesterday thereā€™s always room for outliers (god help us that term is overused) like murchan. As in NFL teams you might have a smaller or slower receiver who just excels at catching it. But in general the players dublin have brought through are exceptional athletes, with developed skill and calmness from the intensity of their training sessions. They are picked as dublins high speed attacking game is unbeatable. The likes of Colin Corkery wouldnā€™t get a look in.

What I mean is physical hurling is played at club level in Galway. Thatā€™s clear enough.

This who looks a better Hurler and is appreciated as a better Hurler can often be a bigger and stronger Hurler

Galway has some small nippy players, but as little big as I remember they were littered with big strong men more than most teams

Again if he was in Dublinā€™s culture he may have given up at 17 or joined in and be the greatest of all time

Instead he grew up with Nemo where there is not a culture of athleticism per saw but more like Kerry of appreciating the skill and scoring power.

Itā€™s arguable if Corkery didnā€™t have Billy Morgan around he would not have been seen again after 1st stint or maybe ever.

Murchan is not seen as an outlier. He is seen as a detailed player with specific skills. They dropped the size requirement because of the skills.

Itā€™s an overall view policy as opposed to a ā€œbig manā€ or ā€œskill manā€ policy

Thatā€™s what I am trying to say and thatā€™s what I believe was the message.

Thats what im saying

1 Like

Weā€™ll have to disagree here. I think.

Bar Kilkenny

Thatā€™s my experience back to 83/84 kinda time anyway

Obviously now they are huge everywhere. But itā€™s also that way with 10 years

I think they had to respond to getting cleaned out in the air, heck, itā€™s less than a decade since lads were complaining about galway not having anyone who could win aerial ball. I think they are still a great side and a great challenge for anyone, just ran out of legs this year, and the bench was never as deep as people made out.
Theyā€™ll be hard beat again next year (not that they wonā€™t be).

3 Likes

Kevin McStay will resign as manager of Roscommon tonight. Team going nowhere next year with a number of players set to go travelling and not refusing to play for him as media are suggesting

Lads wouldnā€™t Kevin McStay for him?

1 Like

Donā€™t blame lads for heading offā€¦whatā€™s the point putting your life on hold for no good reason?

To tell some youngwan youā€™re an intercounty player and then talk about it in the pub for the next 40 years - the reason most of them do it in the counties that have zero hope of winning championships.

Punditry.