2018 Ryder Cup

Huge news today. Nearly everybody expected Spain to be chosen.

Clearly the captain must have the respect of the locker room and possess leadership qualities but I think the role is also representative.

It involves a lot of media work, speech making, sponsorship commitments and so on and I think the captain should definitely have Leaving Cert or equivalent French at a minimum.

Any thoughts?

As for the captaincy, the host country always pushes for a home captain but that’s never been set in stone - just look at Woosie at the K Club and Monty at Celtic Manor, for example.

That said, I’d expect the early favourites to be Jean Van de Velde, Dominique Strauss-Kahn, Thomas Levet, Lilian Thuram and Mary Pierce.

This can serve to be the official thread for the 2018 Ryder Cup.

How is Team Europe shaping up? John Rahm will be a great addition.

Who in gods name is tyrell hatton

He’s like a middle England version of Patrick Reed

1 Like

I think he/it is either an early 1990s US cruiserweight boxer or a dodgy City investment firm.

1 Like

How is Team Europe shaping up now?

Very nicely

I think it would be great if Team Europe could get this Southgate fellow onto the Ryder Cup team for France.

European players always rise to the occasion of the Ryder Cup, they love Europe.
The Monty Factor I like to call it to myself when I’m watching the Ryder Cup

Eight automatic places on Team USA finalised after the PGA last night.

Brooks Koepka
Dustin Johnson
Justin Thomas
Patrick Reed
Bubba Watson
Jordan Spieth
Rickie Fowler
Webb Simpson

Four wilcards to be announced in early September.

The USA team will surely get a team talk from President Trump .

He’s gonna be a wildcard.

Haimself and Kim Jong-Un are the respective captains for the next edition of the President’s Cup.

When do Europe select their wildcards?

Tomorrow

Who is the captain this year? He can’t be any worse than Dunlop Darren was last time.

Thomas Bjorn.

Paul Casey gets the first wildcard pick.

Sergio Garcia gets in