2020/2021 Champions League Round Of Eight (Quarter Finals)

Unlike in the previous two rounds, Ajax have the second leg of their semi-final at home.

I think they’re much better suited to having the second leg away - they seem to absolutely revel in the freedom it brings when the onus is on the home team to win.

I think along with that, a battle hardened, pacey Premier League team will be a much tougher nut for them to crack than one paced, creaking Real Madrid and Juventus teams. However Ajax are almost a prototype of the sort of teams that have put Manchester City to the sword under Guardiola.

Ajax would beat City.

Great to see Ajax win. Such a shame that team will be broken up in next 12 months. Club soccer is shit the way its gone.

1 Like

Fancy Porto to take Liverpool to extra time tomorrow.

1 Like

It’s gone? It’s always been thus

I know. It’s a load of shite. Just particularly highlighted when a “smaller” team does so well and then gets plundered of all its best players in the next 12-18 months. That’s the way its gone I suppose.

First time since 2004/05 that a team from outside the top 5 leagues has made the semi finals

1 Like

Monaco were the last team to get pillaged

Yet if you listened to Irish sports journalists, John Delaney is the only CEO in football who celebrated on the pitch after a famous away win.

1 Like

Van Der Saar played for Ajax, he’d have some bit of an excuse

3 Likes

Marc Overmars is Ajax’s Director of Football not CEO and is a legendary former player who starred in their last European Cup win

A CEO who did go onto the pitch and played to fans for PR purposes after a European away game is Peter Ridsdale, who ended up running Leeds into the ground financially - a very good comparison to John Delaney if I may say so

4 Likes

Overmars was always quality at diving.

2 Likes

You’ve lads here disgusted because the Ajax fans were not wearing a shirt and tie …

I presumed they had done something terrible to be labelled scum on here? Is it just because they had their shirts off?

Pretty much. The sensitive types like @Ashman should really stick to Rugby football … Association football has always been about passionate support from the working man.

4 Likes

They should have sat and politely applauded for their best result in over 20 years

3 Likes

Spoiler that FFS

2 Likes

@Funtime and @anon98850436??

thats us right there. @anon98850436 had a load of yokes in his trademark BT bag, we were chuckling together as he regaled us with tales of his cousin unga bunga’s antics.

1 Like

Were lads saying this shouldn’t have been a penalty last night?

https://twitter.com/ZB_Media_01/status/1118529791714578433