2020/2021 Champions League Round Of Eight (Quarter Finals)

Manchester City the only semi finalist founded in the 19th century, all the way back in 1880.

The other three Johnny come latelys, all founded in the 20th century. Real Madrid 1902, Chelsea 1905, Paris St Germain 1970.

Manchester City are the team for traditionalists here.

1 Like

Gorton st Mark’s to be fair

They’ll still go out with Stones and Maguire at the back though won’t they?

Alexander-Arnold is top, top quality in a creative sense too.

Trent would be a great man to bring on in Extra Time when a game opens up

Sure is that any worse than whatever any country will put out? Individual defending is gone lad. Move on

Culbaire might be a problem

1 Like

Sidney was a very astute commentator on elite football. Was he still with us I don’t doubt he would be the first to acknowledge the superior coach was the winning of the tie

1 Like

Might be okay if they don’t pick Pickford. Look limited in front of back 4 too, could get away with 1 of KP, Henderson, Rice but Southgate likes to pick 2 of them. Watching Virgin 2, Kerr badly needs the barber, but is good to listen to. Reminds me of Giles 30 years ago

A chap like Zidane doesn’t have to talk in riddles to appease soccer hipsters .

He was a wonderful player who understands the game . Players look up to him and seem to play for him.

4 Likes

When zidane tells you you’re wrong you arent going to second guess him.

5 Likes

By simply being Zidane generates the utmost respect from players.

Lot to disseminate here.

Pickford is grand because there are no proper goalies left. They’re all half sweepers.

The back 4 is mitigated by Southgage playing two out and out holding midfielders.

I think that will be his downfall.

Play rice and then go for it. Concede 2 but score three.

Kelvin Phillip’s isnt good enough.

Brian kerr is an unadulterated legend

1 Like

When Zidane was busy winning World Cups Klopp was busy attending to the corner flags in Mainz

I think Zidane is also a very good coach. As @Ashman says he just doesn’t bother talking shite so journos especially underestimate him. His tactics are generally bang on

1 Like

Hes never changed tactics from day 1. Madrid are a counter attacking team under Zizou. No pace in the middle third so bypass. Not rocket science but it worked with ronaldo and benzema.

Benzema is the best out and out 9 in a few generations

He just seems to have great trust in his players. It’s been largely the same squad for years.

He’s hardly signed one Galactico in his reign.

He inherited some squad though

And Barca are down

1 Like

They did a lot of counter attacking but have also dominated games over the years. Their Champions League run in 2017 was their peak and they dominated everyone bar Bayern

They could do it any way you wanted it. A strictly counter attacking team doesn’t win 3 Champions Leagues in a row