2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.Blame the dubs

Lesson, never kick a last minute penalty over the bar…

1 Like

Straight KO. Run off in August and September. With the clubs given June to give the counties a month to do some bit of training. It’s going to be epic

1 Like

Is it still intended to be straight KO like the pre qualifiers era?

Hardly fair on the Ulster counties, particularly Tyrone and Donegal. Only 5 counties have contested an All Ireland final in the past 6 years and two of them are facing off in a knock out first round Championship game.

In light of a condensed calendar and exceptional circumstances, I think it would make more sense and be a fairer approach to redraw the Championship for this year alone on an All Ireland basis, R32 straight through to the final, 5 rounds of Championship games - Div 1 and 2 teams seeded for the first round and open draw after that.

The qualifier system was some sort of redress for Ulster counties but it still discriminated against them as they were not kept apart in this but what I believe is being mooted is entirely unfair.

Open draw
Open draw
Open draw

1 Like

Is it?

Or are they just making the current Championship that was drawn knockout?

I was just stating my preference.

Christ an open draw would be epic.

1 Like

Yeah, it would be the best option in circumstances. A novel approach for exceptional circumstances and it would be a decent way to trial it.

I think seeding it and maybe forming the B Championship from the R1 losers would also be a good way to trial the idea of a two tier Championship.

I presume they are just going to run off the Championship as its currently drawn and make it knockout.

Tyrone have to travel to Ballybofey in the quarter final in Ulster to face Donegal. I’d imagine there will be a lot of objections from both counties to the Championship is made knockout as it is completely unfair on Ulster counties with ambitions.

The Provincial Councils will never, ever allow an open draw, even though I’d love to see it happen this year due to the special circumstances.

2 Likes

On a once off they may have little choice

I’d imagine the Donegal and Tyrone County boards will be objecting to this if it goes ahead as drawn and is straight knockout.

I’d imagine every single supporter in the country will want an open draw but they will go ahead with the current system on a knock out basis .

1 Like

Yeah they haven’t a creative bone in their body. This year is crying out for an open draw. Could offer some novel pairings and a few upsets.

I can’t imagine an Ulster football team ever feeling hard done by.

18 Likes

Hardly fair on Leinster counties. Only one team has won the All Ireland in the past five years and they will have to beat it.

4 Likes

Twould be a sad reflection on Ulster football if the loudest calls for getting rid of provincial championships came from there, it wasn’t many years ago that an Ulster medal was valued. The game is gone completely up here if lads are happy to see the Ulster final scrapped.

1 Like

The Ulster Championship is valued but Ulster teams are being discriminated against in the All Ireland series.

The qualifier system was a partial redress of that but with that gone Ulster sides find themselves severly handicapped.

If Galway don’t win the football All Ireland this year they are as well pack it in.

A win against a Div 4 side will put them into the last 8.

Leinster counties outside of Dublin have fared very poorly in the All Ireland series. Meath and Kildare failed to pick up a win in the Super 8s in the past two seasons and no Leinster county outside of Dublin have won an All Ireland quarter final since Kildare in 2010.

Open draw