2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.Blame the dubs

Wow ! So it’s that prevalent that nobody will do it without cash incentive ? I can understand the footballers as they are around div 1 but would hurlers not be a few leagues down from div 1 and senior champ? Mad to think you have to pay at that level

That post is 90% absolute bullshit…

9 Likes

Dublin 2-20 Cavan 1-12

Mayo 1-15 Tipp 1-13

It’s very rare any first team in div 1-3 in football is not compensating coaches and/or managers in some form or another. Dublin club football is the most competitive in the country. Some of our country lads have said the prep at club is same or exceeds what they do with their home county. Hurling standards not far off either

1 Like

The last paragraph especially

1 Like

Id say there’ll be boys steaming into mayo at 1/4 or 2/9ish…they’ll just overpower surely on that big pitch they love

@Little_Lord_Fauntleroy

1 Like

Love those Tipp forwards though, been class for years now

If he has the next 5 like his last, it will be gas to think Castlerock produced a top 10 all time footballer.

He’s a funny one. I’d have thought he was woefully overrated when he was operating with the handpass it backwards/across at all costs mantra but he’s really blossomed as a footballer in the past 2/3 years and started to express himself a lot more in attack.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to seeing what Mullin, Conroy and McLaughlin do in Croke Park. They’re all ferociously fast and should be able to really open up their legs and express themselves.

The running from deep approach has served Mayo so well in big games so it’s good to see exciting new additions coming in to keep that going. Dublin seem to only get faster each year and with each lithe, speedy addition. If Mayo get to the final, it will almost certainly be a year too early with Dublin still close to their peak, but it sets it up nicely for the next year or two when the new blood will be able to shoulder the load with the older lads that have been there since Horan’s first stint.

4 Likes

Jaysus I’m a long time gone from it but never knew money went to that level …

Physically. I know a few lads who played senior there and say they skill level is below mayo or Galway, but the conditioning and preparation miles ahead. Similar to the senior set up.

1 Like

I could safely say 7 or 8 of the teams with their first team in Div 3 in 2019 were being compensated. Certainly the 3 that finished top of the table.

1 Like

Sure there’s junior football clubs in limerick paying lads.

1 Like

It’s pretty much the done thing and there is a standard amount that floats about, not excessive. I think some clubs, with the Covid, thought lads at home twiddling their thumbs would be happy to come out and do it for free. There are plenty of spoofers out there but they can be spotted once you compare their set up to other applicants.

I lived around the corner from Na Fianna in 06/07, I was amazed by the amount of young lads on the streets with hurleys.

I’d say there is probably a fella or three in every club who could do a job as good as 75% of the spoofers going around. But do they want to do it, and the other thing is if you can get someone who is excellent and will make a difference it is worth it.
There are some absolute bluffers going around. The kind of fellas that if they put their hands up for their own club would be laughed out the door.

Any Dublin clubs paying players?

How would you know a lad is any use before you agree to pay him? It really does require a whole other set of skills on your committee …